Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Line quality of Wicklow

Options
  • 02-10-2002 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    sorry 1st of all if this is in the wrong place.
    I'm just wondering...
    I live in Bray, Wicklow, and my connection here is awful :(
    I get d/c way too much, especially if I try uploading data, it just throws me off after a few seconds.
    I use oceanfree, and sometimes IOL free.
    They say it's the quality of my line.
    I'm just wondering, what can I do to improve it, I'v rung Eircom and they say it's fine.
    Who is to blame here, who can fix it?
    Any advice would be helpful :)

Cheers
    - Tim

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Moving to Nets/Comms

I'd say that, assuming it's the line outside your house at fault (rather than any internal cabling), you're screwed unless you can bribe a local engineer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

exiztone.

Where in Bray are you? I'm in charnwood and the highest I ever seemed to get when I was on 56k dialup was 39k. I'm on Hi-Speed(hi-speed yeah right!!) now which in comparison to the speeds I was getting is 2 or 3 times as fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

Originally posted by sceptre
    Moving to Nets/Comms

Sorry about that.

@Calibos:
    I'm in the Little Bray area, just before shankill,
    I don't use highspeed
    just 56k dialup, the highest I get it 4.8kbps
    but still, d/c so much :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

Originally posted by Calibos
    exiztone.

Where in Bray are you? I'm in charnwood and the highest I ever seemed to get when I was on 56k dialup was 39k. I'm on Hi-Speed(hi-speed yeah right!!) now which in comparison to the speeds I was getting is 2 or 3 times as fast.

Do you have a Hi Speed Modem as you should be getting 64k with the modem and DSL is also available in Bray just a thought !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

DSL is avaialble in bray?? Through who. Is Greystones, Delgany covered.

Originally posted by Mayshine
    DSL is avaialble in bray?? Through who. Is Greystones, Delgany covered.

Not not for the forseeable future But Im sure when it is we will all hear about It

Eircom are offering DSL in Bray

Call 1800 512 128 and get your line checked

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Guru,
    Do you have a Hi Speed Modem as you should be getting 64k with the modem and DSL is also available in Bray just a thought !
    You didn't read my post properly m8:) existone was saying his connection was crap and I was saying mine was too on 56k dialup. I was so sick of my lousy connection that I got Hi-Speed (and I wasn't fooled by any of Eircoms marketing bull**** by the way. I knew what I was getting myself into :) ). I do get the full 64k. Although I suppose how were you to know that I wasn't some eejit with an analogue modem plugged into the analogue jack on my ISDN TA:D

As for DSL I didn't know it was available in Bray. Doesn't matter though as theres no way I'd pay for the conversion back to PSTN to have my line checked and then pay installation again to have it reconnected if my line failed. Worth the risk if I-stream was affordable with a self install option but as it is at the moment, not worth the hassle or the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

Hey, thanks for all the help guys, hmm, I didn't know DSL was available in Bray either tbh, no chance I'm getting it if it's an Eircom product :P
    Just subscribed to UTVip anyway :D

Originally posted by Calibos
    Guru,

As for DSL I didn't know it was available in Bray. Doesn't matter though as theres no way I'd pay for the conversion back to PSTN to have my line checked and then pay installation again to have it reconnected if my line failed. Worth the risk if I-stream was affordable with a self install option but as it is at the moment, not worth the hassle or the risk.

`Soon eircom will be testing ISDN so you will be able to tell wether or not your line is suitable for DSL and the cost to revert back to PSTN from ISDN to €24 I think

• Advertisement
Advertisement