Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kelly to take Finnan's place in the swiss match

• 02-10-2002 10:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭

from fai.ie -
    Leeds United defender Gary Kelly seems certain to win his 52nd international cap when the Republic of Ireland take on Switzerland in the crucial Group Ten European Championship qualifying tie at Lansdowne Road on October 16 due to injuries to Steve Finnan and Stephen Carr.

Kelly had to be satisfied with a place on the substitutes' bench in the 4-2 defeat by Russia in the opening Euro 2004 qualifier in Moscow's Lokomotiv Stadium on September 7. Now injuries to Fulham's Finnan and Tottenham's Carr are likely to hasten Kelly's return.

And that could mean an unexpected recall to the green shirt for Birmingham City skipper Jeff Kenna who won the last of his 27 caps in the scoreless draw with Turkey in the European Championship qualifier in Bursa almost three years ago when coming on as a substitute for Carr.

Kelly made his first starting appearance of the season in Leeds' 4-1 hammering by English Premiership leaders Arsenal at Elland Road on Saturday morning. And now he seems certain to be in Terry Venables' side along with nephew Ian Harte when Leeds take on Ukrainian side Metalurg Zaporizhya in Thursday's UEFA Cup first round second leg tie. Leeds lead 1-0 from the first leg at Elland Road last week.

Finnan seems certain to miss out the Swiss game after picking up a knee injury in Fulham's 2-0 defeat by Everton at Goodison Park on Saturday. A club spokesperson said that Limerick-born Finnan had suffered medial ligament injuries to his knee and would miss the club's next two matches.

Finnan's injury is a matter of concern to Fulham boss Jean Tigana as the player had only returned from several weeks on the sidelines with a similar knee problem. Now Fulham are hoping to have Finnan back for their Premiership clash with Manchester United at Loftus Road on October 19 - three days after Ireland's Euro tie with the Swiss.

Carr only returned to training with Spurs at White Hart Lane on Friday after picking up a groin injury on the first day of the season. Irish boss Mick McCarthy will not name his squad until early next week with Kenna and Manchester United's John O'Shea almost certain to be in the reckoning.

I'd like to see how kelly does, seeing as finnan had a very bad game last time round... as lets keep in mind that loss isnt really an option this time round if we want to escape playoff's

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

It is not like we have never seen Kelly play the right back slot before. I know I am repeating myself but O Shea has nearly been player of the season for United so far and has played both full back and centre back positions. He has earned the right, although he is better in centre of defense with Gary Breen on the bench.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

there must be an Alex Ferguson reason as to why O'Shea hasnt already got a game for the international squad. cynicism and paranoia abound !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

O shea should be in there he has been outstanding this year and the mind boggles that he cant get into the squad.Jeff kenna is suppose to be getting a call up as cover for right back,he's having a good seaon with Birmingham

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

If Kilbane's picked on the left wing again I'm going to go mental - he can't even get a game for arguably the worst team in the Premiership at the moment.

When will McCarthy realise that dropping him, putting Duff there and starting Keane and Morrison (or Gray bleedin' Doherty even) up front would be better.

Kilbane is crap, how he's lasted this long I do not know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭BKtje

i cant believe that O'Shea prob wont be playing. Mick really is a muppet ffs.

/me chants O'Shea O'Shea :(

( i concur on the drop kilbane to the errrrr away from irish football bit)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Lads It makes me laugh to think we are all here, supporters, we all agree that O'Shea plays, that Kilbane should be shot, Duff on the left and Morrison & Keane up front - Now why the fuc can't the so called Irish manager see this!! or are we just muppets who know what we are at!! :confused:

McCrappy is pissing me off no end :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

Dunphy for manager!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Ah jaysus , that is pushin it out a small bit!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

Is this a recurrance of Finnan's Saipan ankle injury? Because if it is, I may have to break a chair or a table or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

yeah, that saipan injury was a bloody joke..to think the man was walking..if he was running, he'd be still down!

• Advertisement
Advertisement