Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nokia 7110

• 02-10-2002 10:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

Phone went crazy there a couple of days ago. Turns itself on/off at random and leaves black stain on the screen when it crashes. To start it again I've to take out the battery and put it back in again. Takes 5/6 attempts to actually make the phone work, and then it only works for a few minutes....

Anyone have similiar problems? :) Basically, I don't want to/am to lazy to waste my time heading into the nokia centre, unless it's repairable. It's a great phone (when it isnt acting the arse) and I don't want to get a new one just yet.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Don't know if it'll be any help but what software revision is on the phone?

*#0000#

Surprised you've not had problems with the popout bit - that's what most people seem to have had hassle with.

Cool phone though. My brother had one. Probably annoyed him when I kept taking it from him, popping out the talkie bit and saying "guns, lots of them" (sad b******s R'US)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Bring it to a Nokia Repair Center.
    They will fix it and upgrade it to the latest software version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

on't know if it'll be any help but what software revision is on the phone?

V04.88 updated july '00
    Bring it to a Nokia Repair Center.
    They will fix it and upgrade it to the latest software version.

Will they ask for money? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

From what I've seen, a lot of those Nokias with the slide-on batteries (5110, 6x10, 7x10) tend to give trouble afer a while as the retaining clips wear and sometimes the battery loses contact with the power terminals in the back of the phone.

Also, this "black stain" - is it a blob of that looks like it's made up of pixels (square dots), or is it like an inkblot, or is it something that looks like the surface of a soap bubble (i.e. swirling shades of grey?) For these three, I'd proffer the following suggestions:

Pixellated blob: Prob. a software problem, especially if the phone's working okay at other times.
    Inkbot: If it's there permanently, the LCD's been squashed - someone heavy sat on it, or something like that. If it goes away again when you switch on the phone, I'm lost.
    Swirly-shades-of-grey: LCDs sometimes do this when their temperature changes abruptly. Nothing to worry about.

Another possibility - your battery may be banjoed. This is much more likely if you use a car kit with it on a regular basis, especially if your phone used a Ni-Mh battery, which wasn't unheard of for the 7110.

Hope this helps...
    Gadget

Hope this helps...

It does, but the blob is actually facinating....
    The screen works perfect. I turn on the phone, everything is there, and the display is excellent. BUT!, when it crashes/freezes, I've to take the battery out, and it is then, the the whole screen turns black(or most of it). It isn't pixellated, more like the ink you spoke of. But then when i put the battery back in and turn it on, the ink disappears, and it works fine again. Sometimes the mark appears as a straight line accross the middle of the screen.

I'm just amazed that it can display stuff like this, when I'm holding the battery in my hand :)
    Another possibility - your battery may be banjoed.

The connections do seem to be warn through...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭po0k

how much is a Li-Ion battery for nokias?
    I have a 3310 myself.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Re: Software upgrade- there is a poster in the Nokia Upgrade centre on the quays offering a "Free Software Upgrade".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

where is this nokia repair center ye talk of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

moved to Wireless... might generate more interest there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Originally posted by kamobe
    Will they ask for money? :)

a nokia hanset warranty lasts for one year - you are normally asked for some proof of purchase so they can work out if the phone is still in warranty - registration details for Club Nokia can may also be allowed

if it is out of warranty you can be charged for a software upgrade

two places in town that you can try (give them a call and explain you issues) they can do upgrades on the spot, or send the unit out for repair if necessary:

Telephone Centre - 32 Dawson St, D2. 01 - 8722542
    Teknofone Ltd. - 38/40 Sth Great Georges St, D2 - 01 6711401

HTH,
    Brian G.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭daveJAM

Actually a Nokia waranty is 15 months and when I got mine fixed i just gave the guy my club nokia card. No waranty needed. The waranty could have been well out of date for all the guy knew. He didnt look up any details either, just wrote the club number down.

Originally posted by Davjm
    Actually a Nokia waranty is 15 months

Pretty sure it's 12 months (maybe the 7110 was 15?) - found this out when one Nokia I had gave up for the 3rd time 12 months and 3 weeks after buying it and I got no joy :(

They put the warranty card in the back of their manuals now and did a quick check in one and it says 12 months too.
    when I got mine fixed i just gave the guy my club nokia card. No waranty needed. The waranty could have been well out of date for all the guy knew. He didnt look up any details either, just wrote the club number down.

The worksheet to be compelted for Nokia requires some warranty evidence ("internet", sales receitpt, club nokia ID, "other"), so they are supposed to be a bit more pro-active in their checking, but nice to get it for free :)

The Club Nokia ID links back to the account details including the original purchase date (to determine warranty period).

Brian G

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Originally posted by smccarrick
    Re: Software upgrade- there is a poster in the Nokia Upgrade centre on the quays offering a "Free Software Upgrade".

where abouts is this? i want new software on me 7650, getting wierd errors, most delivery reports only show up when i reboot the phone.....etc.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

Originally posted by SyxPak
    how much is a Li-Ion battery for nokias?
    I have a 3310 myself.

Don't know offhand - you'd have to shop around. However, as the 3310 uses a completely different battery to the 7110 even if I could answer the question relevantly for this post it still wouldn't help you.

Sorry...
    Gadget

Originally posted by Serialkiller
    i want new software on me 7650

i'm on V3.12? they did release a V3.16 15/08/02 which some people said improved the stability of the phone (it was the one supplied on the handsets for Orange in the UK)

V4.23 was mentioned just last week (by a guy in Hungary) so that's the highest version I've seen mentioned yet

problem is it's a whole new piece of kit to update the phone, any place I tried off the street so far didn't have the kit onsite.

only place I was directed to was Communicad in Bray but that's too far and can't didn't get an answer on their number when I tried :(

will be in town tomorrow or wed so will look about and see if any of the service points can do it yet

Brian G

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭daveJAM

Wierd the guy in the service centre told me the waranty was 15 months.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

It was 12 months, up to January of this year.
    Under EU Consumer Protection Law, enforced EU wide on 1-01-02, you will be extremely happy to know that your warranty, regardless of what the book says, is 2 years. Note: This is only if phone purchased on or after 1-1-02.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Originally posted by DubWireless
    i'm on V3.12? they did release a V3.16 15/08/02 which some people said improved the stability of the phone (it was the one supplied on the handsets for Orange in the UK)

V4.23 was mentioned just last week (by a guy in Hungary) so that's the highest version I've seen mentioned yet

problem is it's a whole new piece of kit to update the phone, any place I tried off the street so far didn't have the kit onsite.

only place I was directed to was Communicad in Bray but that's too far and can't didn't get an answer on their number when I tried :(

will be in town tomorrow or wed so will look about and see if any of the service points can do it yet

Brian G

I'm Running ver. 3.12, like that web browser you gave me a link to before just crashes on start claiming some stupid connectivity error. none of the IM software i have found will run, all crash after a few secs(when i try anything). Well i'd manage to get to a place in bray, if they could upgrade it for me...................

hi Serialkiller - that feels odd to type out loud :)

I put up the 7650 config I use to get online with WebViewer and other apps here:

Nokia 7650 O2 GPRS Internet (Post-Pay)

when using IM and other software that may need to be open to external requests you might have to use the open.internet access point but see how you get on with the regular internet access point first

hope that helps you out

Brian G

Originally posted by smccarrick
    It was 12 months, up to January of this year.
    Under EU Consumer Protection Law, enforced EU wide on 1-01-02, you will be extremely happy to know that your warranty, regardless of what the book says, is 2 years. Note: This is only if phone purchased on or after 1-1-02.

excellent :) - thanks for that update that's great news

is it just for phones or does it extend to other electronic equipment like PDAs?

thanks,
    Brian G

• Advertisement

For the record, I left my phone in on friday 4th, and i was told it would be ready on saturday (next day). I was away for the weekend, so i called em on tuesday to make sure it was ready. They said Friday. Friday the tech guy was on lunch, call back later. Called Saturday, still on lunch. Monday, need to leave it with us for a week. Friday, not sure were it is, techie is on lunch. Monday, yeah sure, just call in tomorrow. Today, sorry - couldnt fix it, we won't charge you for that..... And now it's actually worse, won't even charge or turn on.

Summary: They took my phone for three weeks and managed to wreck it even more. At least they were nice enough not to charge me :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Originally posted by kamobe
    Summary: They took my phone for three weeks and managed to wreck it even more. At least they were nice enough not to charge me :mad:
    I'd sue.

Advertisement