Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Voodoo... a scene developing?

Options
  • 02-10-2002 10:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi Everybody,

As a keen supporter of all things that rock I’ve begun frequenting the Voodoo a bit recently. To cut to the chase there seems to be a bit of a scene developing, the place is reminiscent of a punk club from the 70’s with some good old Mojo vibes thrown into the mix for added spice. This Friday a RAWK club is opening in the aforementioned venue and get this… it’s 2 Euro ALL NIGHT for a Voodoo shot! I shall be merry by the evening’s end of that there is no doubt! Get down there ‘cause as the add says…NEVER MISS A GENUINE OPPORTUNITY!!!

Adios,
    Rob.C

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭the66electric

yeah its not a bad venue. Its a bit far up the quays but it would be great if it caught on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Raggamuffin

a scene does'nmt develop beacause a place "looks" like a rock or punk club or the drinks are cheap.
    a dscene is where you have a group of bands you although may not know eachother share the same musical roots.. but at some point rise above and create their own sound

bands like this in dublin........................none.

although some Xfm bands look like they're going to do that.... depends though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Rob. C

The fact is that the décor in the Voodoo is punk-ish with a healthy tint of Mojo, however I didn’t imply that that alone is what makes a scene (although it can’t be a bad thing.) The place is attracting some top quality Dublin acts that are trying to develop both musically and artistically, therefore I think the place has the potential to be the focal point for some exciting new developments. Acts such as KOPEK deserve our unmitigated support… I mean who knows, one day they could be riding high in the charts!

Peace out,
    Rob.C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Niall S.

Originally posted by Raggamuffin
    a scene does'nmt develop beacause a place "looks" like a rock or punk club or the drinks are cheap.
    a dscene is where you have a group of bands you although may not know eachother share the same musical roots.. but at some point rise above and create their own sound

Couldn't disagree with you more, although the venue is in the real sense not the be all and end all, its the crowd thats important.

Alot of people in Dublin don't support the scene, and its not the clubbing e dropping crowd that I am referring to.

Its the people wo really should be supporting the scene but don't, people in bands of their own who will only turn up to a gig if their own band is playing.

I have organized a few good gigs over the last 2 months and some of the bands I have worked with wouldn't scratch themselves to show support to another band.

Anyway I am ranting here, but the real thing that is missing to show that any kind of a scene is developing is crowd participation and the real clientelle of gig goers are people in bands.
    Its a simple thing, go to support my band and I will go support yours.

Niall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

Oh tell us oh great one , teach us so that we might be as wise as you..
    Raggamuffin you annoy the hell outta me alot I hope I never bump into to your "I'm so alternative" face again. You talk **** but deliver nothing, you claim to be a music fan but take pot shots at people, bands and fans of music that isn't to your taste. I hate giving **** to people on boards but you consistently frustrate me with your posts that always cut people down with your holier than thou attitude....thank god the posts are few and far between but the majority always come across so negatively.

You seem to hate Dublin, Phantom and anyone who tries to get something together that is in anyway remotely connected to mainstream...grow up and do something positive for Gods sake.....maybe actually do something that may help you persue your interest in a career in the media rather than just trying to make people dislike you and burning people that have different views to your own? Opinions are fine, criticisms are fine but you constantly cut people down here and its bang out of order when you give nothin positive back, this the Phantom forum for people who like music.

Rob C I think your on the right on the money, Voodoo might add to developing a bit of a scene where people will get together and start supporting local bands of all types from all over Dublin and maybe elsewhere ?. The place has a good vibe and they seem alright to work with in there.....as we have found in gigsmart it only takes a small group of people to start and things snowball and good things can happen....we've taken crap from Ragga in the past and sone of the other collectives in Dublin but at the end of the day gigsmart is still running good gigs , meeting sound people and getting bigger crowds to gigs all the time.....this in our view, is trying to help develop the overall scene in which we exist....We're not preaching on high, slaggin people off etc but we're helping add to the overall picture , punters like ragga take away and stifle peoples enthusiasm and interest in getting involved in attempting to improve things.

As one of the regs here always says , "if your not part of the solution .........."

All the best ,
    Trev

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Shorty

My God raggamuffin, you're such an evil, vindictive bastard. Just look at the hate, bile and venom spewing forth from that post. What's wrong with you?!

But seriously, all he was saying is that a scene is more about the music than the venue. It wasn't an attack on Gigsmart or the Voodoo. I'll still reserve my views as to whether it'll be the Irish version of CBGBs ( an example of where a venue was the scene ). But again, I don't think Raggamuffin was being too critical. Also the people who jumped to attack raggamuffin and defend The Voodoo are involved in it or gigsmart. Not very objective.

Criticism accepted , having said that our interests and motives are very clear. if you read my post though it does state that its Rags consistent persistent negativity that bugs the hell outta me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Shorty

I think he knows he's a bit of a negative person :D . But Gigsmart is a good thing, and hopefully it will lead on to great things, so keep up the good work. ;):)

Thanks shorty , Im glad to be a part of gigsmart and am proud of what everyone who has been involved has achieved and all th ethings people are currently engaged in to bring the music to the masses :eek:

See y'all in Voodoo , and anywhere else there's a gig !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

i'd have to disagree with you on that one

la rocca, melaton, louise byrne... all good friends, help each other out come form the same place, musical roots similar, and yet they all sound diff.

and thats just one example

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Rob. C

Perhaps I wasn’t being too objective in my assessment of the Voodoo Shorty, but it, with the help of the Gigsmart crew is trying valiantly to nurture and help young and upcoming acts.

The Voodoo is a place promoting the ethos of support and encouragement to help these bands/ performers express themselves in the manner of their choosing without fear of reproach. Furthermore Gigsmart is an organisation that is (according to what I’ve been told and have had the privilege of seeing) 100% committed to this cause.

I’d like to know of more clubs with the same ideals, I’d like to go to these places, hang out and have a good ****ing time…but where are they?

Sure it’s not the Dublin version of CBGBs. But with the right amount of time, positive thinking, and bands willing to make the effort to create a sense of tolerance for other styles of music and tastes, it might develop into a special environment for musicians who want to create something new and exciting. Given a chance to shine in such an ambience the next Stooges might just shuttle out of their basement!

These people (the people involved in The Voodoo and Gigsmart) are just trying to do something positive… it’s all about empathy.

Good Karma,
    Rob.C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭BEHOLD!

well, ye know what I think?

I think this Trev_M guy has one of the worst attitudes Ive come across in quite some time. He is supposed to be the head guy in gigsmart, the face that launched a thousand ships, but all he does is throw the head at anyone who has a differing opinion to him.
    "Criticism accepted " - my arse!
    Ive been at a few of those inter gigs and he was just some drunken fool with a chip on his shoulder.

that Thomas from presence bloke seems a lot more together, personable and coherent.

Ragamuffin...dont mind this guy.

Trev_M....settle down...quit whining when people dont get on board your faux communist band thingy.

I don't think that, that is a very fair assessment of Trev, In fairness to you I was as surprised as you were when he went of the hinge like above, but I do know the man very well, and I know that he doesn't usually act like that, unless it is provoked.
    I am not as loyal to his board as most of you would be and therefore I really don't know this raggamuffin bloke or what he is about.
    I disagreed with his post above because I don't think that the bands alone with their originallity creates a scene, there are some excellent bands out there playing to 5 or 6 people cause they just don't get the support that they need.
    We help these bands, we can put them on a line up with some really up and coming bands, and atleast they can say that they got their chance tho impress a bigger audience.
    Basically I think that Dublin's live music scene has a big resource which remains unused, that is large supply of original bands, there is loads of them but unfortunatley due to alo their stubbornness there is not a big demand for original live music, If the bands supported each other then there would be no problem, but instead you just gripe about there being a motive for our interest in the live muisc circuit, people think that we have a hidden agenda, well I respect any person who can keep an agenda hidden for over a year.
    I think that if we were going to fleece someone we would have done it by now, and that would be the end of us.
    GigSmart is not for everyone, there are alot of bands out there that don't need our help, but some do and they are the one's that we are here for.
    Violent Sky played in Voodoo last night and it was there first gig ever, I don't think that the band members have even played any gigs with other bands before, I am not sure but I think that they were all stage virgins, but still they got to play to a packed venue and got payed 100 Euro for their profession.
    All bands were paid 100 Euro last night and the venue was paid for and so was the advertising campaign.
    All in all I don't see where the problem is with GigSmart, it couldn't be any better, and at the end of the day I am not a full time promoter, neither is Trev and neither is Tom, we do what we do cause we love to see a good band play their music.

Niall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

All I'm going to add is that we all (presumably) want the same things on this board so lets stop all de fighting, de negativity. de pesimissm and bring about some change people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭horsekick

Ok, im just writing this in response to what Behold had to say about Trev's attitude. I disagree. I've known Trev about a year or so now and can honestly say he is one of the nicest guys I know, very passionate about what he does, and is always eager to get on with others. I mean the guy has put everything into making GigSmart what it is today (dont get me wrong, he's had a lot of help from some other very committed people) and has given hundreds of young performers the chance to become established.
    All the guy was doing in that post was defending something he strongly believes in, and has put his heart and soul into, if someone was putting down something i cared in that much i would have made the same response. Behold, your comments were extremely harsh, and unfair. Just because the guy was drunk when you seen him doesn't make him a drunken fool. Thats just rediculous.
    As for having a chip on his shoulder, as i said above he is one of the founding members of GigSmart and therefore has to respond to posts like that in order to defend the organisation from people who make negative throwaway comments all the time, such as Raggamuffin. Although, i must say fair play to Raggamuffin for turning up last night, not many people would have had the decency to at least show their faces from behind the computer screen, and I have a lot of respect for people who are not afraid to do that.
    On a not too far afield subject, i'd just like to congratulate everyone involved yesterday in Voodoo for a brilliant night. The bands were amazing, all played their hearts out, and the organisation was second to none. Not only that but the place was packed. Thats what GigSmart set out to do, and that's what it acheived last night.
    See you all at the next one.
    Adam

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Regarding Raggamuffin's attendance!!

I made him go!!! (ok maybe made is the wrong word but i "encouraged" him to go)

so dont go sayin that or he'll hav an even bigger fekin head than he does already!

(Dont even start Raggamuffin!)

Yay i rock!

:p:D:p

(and as you can see im modest! what more could you ask for)

Cheers horse kick

Whatta cool party, Sunday afternoon & I should be in bed but I'm still buzzin.

Behold!, Minerva are playing Gigsmart @ Dorans in November keep an eye on the website, www.gigsmartireland.com, can't remember the date myself. Should be a good one, Fingermouse and Ramper Sound are playing too. Its like Swords night in Temple Bar, should be great!

Originally posted by BEHOLD!
    well, ye know what I think?

I think this Trev_M guy has one of the worst attitudes Ive come etc etc......

Hello Behold, many thanks for your input, a quick glance at previous posts and I have a fair idea of who you might be or at least the circle in which you associate, neither here nor there, you can always have a chat face to face at any opportunity if you would like to say something or start doing something that will benefit gigsmart as a whole.

Secondly I am not the "Head Guy" at Gigsmart, we like to work as a team. I co-founded the so called "faux communist thingy" with the always personable and coherent Thomas over a year ago, since then others have become actively involved at a very visible level including our good man Kranog, Niall, Fintan and others.

There is nothing fake about Gigsmarts activities and yes on many an occassion I acted like a drunken fool while running the international gigs (29 Saturdays in total), oh no I smack of unprofessionalism, Im an engineer not a professional promoter ok bite me!

Yes as previously stated months ago I do have a chip on my shoulder hence my involvement in gigsmart, my way of trying to improve things as I see fit, you are more than welcome to do it your way, when you put yourself out there you will understand that you are always in the line of fire.

I have been known to blow up at people Tom, Niall and my band mates would usually be first in line sorry lads!! Its a short coming steming from a spoiled child hood and then a difficult period in my youth, therapy costs too much but Im coping hahahaaa, having said that its not all I do as you imply.

I make no apologies for defending what I believe in and probably shouldn't waste so much time doing so to anonymous muppets , who in all likelihood I have probably met and have been nice to me one to one, mmm I wonder?.

Hope this is coherent enough for you, I wish you every success in your musical endeavours and gigsmart as an organisation is there to help you, if you dislike me personally that's fine I can live with that ;)

Raggamuffin - Very good to see that you came along, and good to know we could have a chuckle at each other despite our differences. As horsekick stated already you deserve respect for that, I accept as Shorty stated you weren't attacking GS and my post was abit outta whack and has promted this whole thread to get a bit outta control, an error of judegment perhaps, to quote someone else not sure who "judgement comes from experience and experience usually comes from bad judgement" !

Finally many thanks to those of you who rushed to my defence a nice gesture and I am grateful and also thanks to everyone who was there on Friday a great success and as such I will say no more. Love it or hate it Gigsmart is working hard and working well with loads of good peolpe on board not just the ever apparent explosive and controversial drunken derranged ego maniac that is Trev M.

All the best
    ;) Trev M.

PS Apologies to all who are sick of this type of babble this is definitely my last response to this kinda stuff...sorry!!

Fair dinkum...I dont know you personally Trev.
    But what I do know is what I see and hear.
    Ive gone to loads of gigsmart gigs because of mates bands playing. and im not totally sure how...but you seem to know who my mates are...maybe I stuck up for them a bit or promote their gigs n stuff...but I dont believe I've had the pleasure of meeting you...yet. all Im saying is...you give off the impression that you have an attitude problem. you do know my mate J. Guilmartin(nice bloke) and he did tell me about you being an ignorant wanker to him..so that effects me and my opinion of you.
    thats all.
    Thomas...again..not sure about the minerva reference...but ok..first I heard bout it! and im sure i'll be there.
    kinda weird not actually knowing you people and yet..."I know your mates" being said to me. what are you guys the KGB?

I think you'll find gigsmart is the political wing to a subversive paramilitary organisation. It is therefore only prudent to maintain a military intelligence unit.

Targets Include:

Assasination of Louis Walsh (Not yet completed as we're not sure if this will create a martyr of him. imagine it, Ronan Keating re-records "Good Bye Yellow Brick Road" as a heartbreaking tribute to his belated mentor)

Set up an independent state of gigsmartireland in the greater Dublin Area

• Advertisement

Don't believe everything that you hear, and you say that everytime that you see Trev he has been drunk.
    Well that is a fair point in itself, but then again you've more than likely only ever seen Trev at nights in the International, which is on Saturday nights, I think that we can forgive a man for having a drink on a Saturday night.

If we know your mates then its more than likely because we have had dealings with them in the past where we have helped them out with gigs.

We are just trying to create some awareness that if you are in a band and you are finding it hard to get your music out to people get in touch with us we will do what we can to help.

It really pisses me off to see people having a go at us, saying that we a some form of corporate dictatorship ( the usual bull**** ) when we have never once asked a band to pay us money for our support and I hope you don't mind me patting myself on the back by saying that we are doing a fantastic job. We have all been out handing out flyers and posting up posters visiting these Web sites to promote bands that in some cases ( see above ) are not even grateful for our efforts.

If profits are made from the gigs that we set up then we split the profits evenly between the bands now you tell me how is that a bad thing.

One last time, the people who are running GigSmart, Trev, Tom, Chris and myself we all have day jobs like everyone else and we all have other responsibilities, we are not getting anything out of GigSmart financially but yet we still do what we do.

Regards.

Niall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

Originally posted by BEHOLD!
    you do know my mate J. Guilmartin(nice bloke) and he did tell me about you being an ignorant wanker to him..so that effects me and my opinion of you.
    thats all.

im not trying to get involved...well i am...but i did hear the exact same being said about j. guilmartin by a mate of mine who went to school with him....and he wasnt referred to as a nice bloke in the description. (uh oh...im **** stirring again)

we are starting to get into he said, she said kind of crap, I don't really know James, all that I do know is that if he doesn't feel that GigSmart is for him, then why oh why does he stick around.
    He has played atleast 3 or 4 times in the International's GigSmart Nights, he played in Whelans, Mono and Voodoo all gigs set up by GigSmart and is set to play in Dorans another GigSmart Gig, so all in all I think that James is one of the people who has most benefitted from his involvement with GigSmart.

Sorry I just don't see how Trev can be accused as being an Ignorant wanker by a person whom he has worked hard to help.

Niall.

im not trying to get involved...well i am...but i did hear the exact same being said about j. guilmartin by a mate of mine who went to school with him....and he wasnt referred to as a nice bloke in the description. (uh oh...im **** stirring again)

hehehe. now thats funny. :D I probably know that guy aswell.
    St. Finians school?

Niall...not saying anything about gigsmart/you/tom/chris.
    also not saying that James has a problem with said organisation/people.

just one guy. thats all.
    am i not entitled to a rant now and again?

Im sure you all have your beefs with people who you think are cun ts...

Advertisement