Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crc

• 03-10-2002 12:46am
    Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭

I know what a crc error is, but i dont know why im getting it!!
    (i dont know if this is ahardware or software realted, soz if its in the wrong forum)

I bought a new computer aboot 2 months back, and now im pissed off and very confused.

Ive reinstalled windows god knows how many times and i still get it.
    In fact, i think i get it even when installing as the installer gets a "cannot find file" error, when i can plainly see the file there, the problem never occurs with the same file again.

Plz help, i dont know where the problem lies, wherever it was originally, a lot of my files are now garbled from transfer and i dont know how to solve it at the core.

thnx.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

What exactly are you getting the error with? What program and when you're installing what exactly?

Is it the OS? Have you an original software CD, not a copy.

Usually you'll get a CRC error when you have damaged archives or corrupt installation files.

Give us some more info.

.logic.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Its the same cd as my m8 used, and he has no errors, so i assume its hardware related.

I thought it might be the ide cable, but i dont have another extended one to test with.

The crc errors happen when installing files too, ones that i copied from cd some time ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

faulty hardware can cause crc errors, so can viruses or trojans, but since your friend doesnt have them, its probably not a virus..

crc means cyclic reduncancy check, its basically a quick method of checking if a file is corrupted or not.. are you sure its a crc error that youre getting, not a different error?
    when do you get the errors.. i mean, what are you doing to cause the errors, are you trying to copy files using windows off the cd, or unzip them using winzip, or what?

Installing games or programs from cd.
    Also i am now getting an "I/O" error when installing cs from my hdd or cd.
    And some rubbish about the file being different to the one listed in the setup.cab, i reckon thats crc too :(.

What a load of balls komplett are. The same mate i mentioned earlier, his pc fried 3 hours ago when he turned it on. faulty psu. ffs.

thnx neway lads, all seem to be working :confused: , my m8 brought his parts over to me, we swapped all the pieces one by one until the errors stopped. IDE cable problem it seems to have been.

• Advertisement
Advertisement