Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with Java

Options
  • 03-10-2002 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭

Well tis a new year of college and a new year for a programming Language :D

Judging by the post title, you've guessed that I am studying Java this term.(I hope)

So I would be most grateful if anyone had any ideas where I could get Jbuilder and/or some good online tutorials.

Timeout:cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

http://java.sun.com had pretty much everything I ever used for java. The JDK + an editor (notepad works, but we had MS Visual J++ which was nice for the formatting). The site also has tutorials etc.

Colm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

what college are you at timeout?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Forget JBuilder and take a look at Eclipse.

I'm using WSAD which is built on Eclipse and Websphere stuff aside it's really cool. Much nicer then Forte that's for sure.

One thing to note is, they will probably tell you to do all your development work with something like VI or notepad. There is good reason for this, as most IDE's are bad for learning (they make you lazy).

Even having something that colors the statements, is bad in general for learning.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

what college are you at timeout?

The IT in Galway.

We started with the JDK and then moved onto JBuilder so thanks to lynchie for the links.

I agree with ye that IDE's are not the best way of learning but when I get all the statments down I think I'll change over.

And Hobbes I have taken a look at eclipse. Just downloaded it, but I've not gotton round to installing it.

Thanks again

Now to start learning :confused:

Timeout:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

Originally posted by Hobbes
    One thing to note is, they will probably tell you to do all your development work with something like VI or notepad. There is good reason for this, as most IDE's are bad for learning (they make you lazy).
    You'd be surprised how many lazy/crap lecturers out there that would dive straight in to an fancy IDE, instead of having to explain how certain things work. Having noticed this at an early stage, gave me an advantage in the end.

If you're new to Java, get a JDK, an ASCII editor, and that's it. If you're doing some GUI front ends, OK fair enough JBuilder or some other IDE will have some RAD tools to throw them together, but apart from that get used to it from a lower level. I guarantee you will benefit.

;-phobos-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

http://www.java.sun.com is the one we use in college most frequently. It has lots of helpful info and that. When i'm stuck its usually the best resort for help.

Even our Lecturer encourages us to use it.

Also, a good book is "Java How to programme" by Deitel and Deitel. Worth taking a look at anyhow.

Advertisement