Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worlds funniest joke !

Options
  • 03-10-2002 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭

Scientists reckon they've discovered the world's funniest joke following what's claimed to be the largest study of humour ever undertaken.

For the past year, people around the world have been invited to judge jokes on an Internet site as well as contribute quips of their own.

The LaughLab experiment conducted by psychologist Dr Richard Wiseman, from the University of Hertfordshire, attracted more than 40,000 jokes and almost two million ratings.

The Joke

The joke which received the highest global ratings was submitted by 31-year-old psychiatrist Gurpal Gosall, from Manchester. Here it is:

Two hunters are out in the woods when one of them collapses. He doesn't seem to be breathing and his eyes are glazed.

The other guy whips out his phone and calls the emergency services. He gasps: "My friend is dead! What can I do?"

The operator says: "Calm down, I can help. First, let's make sure he's dead."

There is a silence - then a shot is heard. Back on the phone, the guy says: "OK, now what?"

Dr Wiseman said the joke was interesting because it worked across many different countries and appealed to men and women and young and old alike.

He said: "Many of the jokes submitted received higher ratings from certain groups of people, but this one had real universal appeal.

People logging onto the LaughLab website were invited to rate jokes using a "Giggleometer" which had a five-point scale ranging from "not very funny" to "very funny".

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

I rate that bad-boy "Not Very Funny" on my 'giggleometer'.

My sh*tometer, on the other hand, went off the scale.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭oeNeo

that joke is so not funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

the reply of ozpass was way funnier :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

so just because a joke appeals to both men and women from many countries around the world it must be the funniest joke in the world?

I think not Dr. Wiseman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Spiffing

You can't have the worlds funniest joke, because it's opinion, the fools!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

The funniest in Scotland went....

"I'd like to die quietly in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

now THATS funny :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Acidflash

Originally posted by Thanx 4 The Fish
    The funniest in Scotland went....

"I'd like to die quietly in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers."

lol :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Dr Wiseman is not very wise is he. that joke is stupid :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭The Gopher

The Scottish favourite joke is great,worthy of a line in the Naked Gun trilogy.
    But the main one is ****e.Reminds me of that awful sherlock holmes joke that was alledgedly the best ever joke last year anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I found that first one to be well funny.

john

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

rofl @ the scotish one.

Advertisement