Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carr V's Finnan

• 03-10-2002 2:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

Simple question.

Carr and Finnan are both fit whom would you rather see at the right back position for Ireland?

I'd go for Finnan but I'm interested to see what other people think.

Carr V's Finnan 19 votes

Finnan
    0% 0 votes
    Carr
    21% 4 votes
    Kelly (Atari Jaguar)
    78% 15 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Why make them compete why not have Carr on the Right and Finnian on the left after all thats the postion he plays for fulham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Carr, without a doubt, he is one of the greatest prospects we have had in a long time, and Finnan disappointed at the WC (although to be fair it was his first).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

Finnan plays right back for Fulham but he is either footed so he could probably switch to left if required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Would far prefer to have Finnan in there than Carr. While Carr can pick a pass very well, he lacks the pace which Finnan can inject into a game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭BogOak

carr when he's fit. people forget how good he is. barcelona wanted to buy him. finnan should definitely be forced into the uncomfortable left shoe on right foot situation of left full back.

bonjo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Id love to see Carr in the right of midfield.... and finnan at right back..

Carr is one of our best players at going forward...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭Stinkah

Originally posted by Johnny_the_fox
    Id love to see Carr in the right of midfield.... and finnan at right back..

Carr is one of our best players at going forward...

Just nipped in ahead of my with that point Johnny.

I too would love to see this situation and feel that both of these players in the same team are on our current best 11 IMO.

The reason for this is that I see Stevie Carr as a John Arne Riise type on the right, in so far as he is a "likely" defender and one whom nobody is over surprise at when he scores. He's an attacking defender with great defensive qualities, unlike harte who is too much of one and not enough of the other.

Anyway, I fully agree with Johnny here, Finnan at right back and Carr on the wing is our best formation that I'd see on the right side atm IMO.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Never thought of Carr on the right, good call, better than trigger running round like a blue arsed fly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭Xterminator

A few seasons ago Gary Kelly was the best defender in the premiership.
    I'd say if he can keep his place in the leeds team, and recaptures that kind of form, then he's the only man to play at right back.

X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭Congoose

Carr is probably our most talented player, he should be the first choice. I thought Finnan performed very well at the World Cup, especially in the Germany game. They should both be in the team, with Finnan on the left.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭BogOak

is reid fit? he's better than trigger anyway. or what about that young butler fella from sunderland, can he play on the right? i never saw the finland friendly so i don't know about barrett. our best eleven (maybe next season once they have a bit of experience if "taking the" mick has the cop on to play them once in a while): given, carr, finnan, o'shea, cunningham, keane (i wish. maybe holland or healy), kinsella, reid, duff, keane, morrison.

boo

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

BogOak- exactly my call with the team - experience with a lot of very eager young players - very impressed with Barrett, I think he has to leave arsenhole to get a regular first team spot. Sunderland may take him and complete a full Irish team :D

Butler has a lot of promise - prick mcfarty has to play O'shea next match, he cannot be that thick??? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

Carr at right midfield with Finnan behind him would be a super combination. Then if we had Duff down the left got Keane back, alongside Holland we'd have to have one of the best midfields in Europe just think about the amount of damage they would do. It's a pity that big Mick always seems to pick against public opinion. I really feel it's time he packed it in and we try and get David O'Leary in before he finds a new job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

I thought Finnan was Ireland's best player at the World Cup after Duff. I'll also never forget how Portugal started with Figo on the left but he was achieving nothing against Carr, so they switched him over to Harte's wing (lo and behold, Figo equalised).

Carr at right back with Finnan in right midfield, that's what I say. Some of Finnan's passing (McAteer goal v Holland, Keane equaliser v Germany, Morrison goal v Russia) has been sublime, so let's put him in ar right midfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭pendulum

Play em both imo...

pend.jpg

Advertisement