Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What I've been waiting for...

Options
  • 03-10-2002 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭

http://www.emusic.com

I joined it just recently and I must say its' the best 45 bucks I'v ever spent. There are loads of underground artists on it and I've been downloading like mad since I got it.

For those who dont know you have unlimited downloads 14 bucks a month. 128 Kb/s mp3's. What on it? Well all Earache's url]http://www.emusic.com/label/89/89715.html[/url and Epitaphs url]http://www.emusic.com/label/89/89902.html[/url roster of bands. (eg Napalm Death, The Haunted, Morbid Angel, NoFx, Pennywise, Bad Religion and loads more) Tons of jazz/blues and classic rock stuff there also.

This isnt an ad for emusic I just think that a site like this should be supported. This is the way I would like music distribution to go (well as an option)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭ThrAx

Thats all well and good, but u still have to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

umm . I'm sorry but I cant believe for a minute that you cant afford $45 for unlimited downloads !!!!

I was in town on Sunday and I saw Gore Obsessed CD for E28, which I downloaded from emusic. So for less that the price of 2 CD's you can downloads 100's of albums

By supporting a site like this might encourage the record companies to go in that direction. We can only win if they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Originally posted by Diarmuid
    I was in town on Sunday and I saw Gore Obsessed CD for E28

I bet that was in HMV. And frankly anyone stupid enough to pay that much for a CD probably wouldn't be able to use a computer in the first place. :p

But I'm totaly against record companies going in that direction. I can only lose! What am I to do when I'd want an album signed at a gig? "Hey mistar band person, will ya's sign me MP3s!?" And what about all these special editions, and digipaks and all suchlike? Will there be any use for them in this music download future?

I think that people who are going to download music aren't going to bother paying for it when there's programs Kazaa and suchlike napster clones out there. I cant speak for everyone, but if you're going to pay for something, you'd at least want something solid. A nice CD case, complete with artwork and lyrics.

But lets take someone who would ONLY download music, and has no legal 'Albums' whatsoever. Do you think they're going to bother paying for the service they can get for free elsewhere?

And do you think that paying $45 for 100's of albums is really going to cover studio and recording costs for the bands? I really doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Originally posted by AngelWhore
    And do you think that paying $45 for 100's of albums is really going to cover studio and recording costs for the bands? I really doubt it.

Suppose it depends on how many lots of $45 they get..

Anyhoo, I buy more music because of the internet. I used to be very picky about buying cds (cause I hated going and asking to have them put the cd on one of those changeable listening posts - there's only one of them in Derry, believe it or not. Live in Donegal, but that was the nearest decent place for music). So I started downloading songs, and then end up buying the album - I mean there's always at least one glick in one song (and it's always a pleasent surprise not to hear it when you've the real thing :D), plus it is nice to have something solid.

I've never bought more music than since I started downloading it. Though I do download some music that I would never consider buying a whole album for. But proportionally not that much.

I don't think I would pay for music that I download. It'd be like buying insurance - you have it but you still feel like it's money for nothing. Also, if you accidently delete it/get your computer wiped by a virus or whatever then that's it. And backing up is not an easy option if you've 7 gigs of mp3s.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Originally posted by AngelWhore

I bet that was in HMV. And frankly anyone stupid enough to pay that much for a CD probably wouldn't be able to use a computer in the first place. :p

Well granted that's excessive but the going rate for a CD nowdays is 18-20 euro. No matter which way you look at this it's extortion

But I'm totaly against record companies going in that direction. I can only lose! What am I to do when I'd want an album signed at a gig? "Hey mistar band person, will ya's sign me MP3s!?" And what about all these special editions, and digipaks and all suchlike? Will there be any use for them in this music download future?

It doesnt have to be black and white like that you know. You can have both. Say use the mp3's to find bands you like and then if you feel the CD is worth it go and buy it

I think that people who are going to download music aren't going to bother paying for it when there's programs Kazaa and suchlike napster clones out there. I cant speak for everyone, but if you're going to pay for something, you'd at least want something solid. A nice CD case, complete with artwork and lyrics.

Some people wont pay for it regardless how well done it is or how good value it is. You are always going to have that. However I like emusic because

1. I can get music al a resonable price

2. I know what I am getting is good quality (relatively) mp3's.

3. The service is good, always up with a high bandwidth download

4. I dont feel like I'm ripping off the band or that I'm being ripped off.

But lets take someone who would ONLY download music, and has no legal 'Albums' whatsoever. Do you think they're going to bother paying for the service they can get for free elsewhere?

see my previous point

Well if the recond company/band feel that they can make money doing that then fine by me. I dont think they are offering this service for the good of their heart !!!!

BTW I think most people will download maybe 10 albums/ month not 100's .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Well granted that's excessive but the going rate for a CD nowdays is 18-20 euro. No matter which way you look at this it's extortion

I'm perfectly happy paying that much for a CD.
    It doesnt have to be black and white like that you know. You can have both. Say use the mp3's to find bands you like and then if you feel the CD is worth it go and buy it

I do that anyway. So then WHY pay for it? Most bands have mp3s on their website that I dont have to pay for to listen to. Mayhem have their entire first album for download on their website. So why would I want to pay to have the chance to download it?

And there's many other ways of hearing music.
    Friends, Shops, DJs/clubs... And some 'Naughty' ways.
    None of which you have to pay for.

So why would I bother paying $45 for this service? You name earache as a label on emusic, but on most of the bands' sites you can find mp3s that wont cost you anything but the time it takes to download it. I downloaded some tracks from The Berzerker's website for free, and I'm probably going to grab the album next time I've got a chance.
    Some people wont pay for it regardless how well done it is or how good value it is. You are always going to have that. However I like emusic because

1. I can get music at a resonable price

2. I know what I am getting is good quality (relatively) mp3's.

3. The service is good, always up with a high bandwidth download

4. I dont feel like I'm ripping off the band or that I'm being ripped off.

I think you're putting too much faith in people. If this was a definite way that record companies would use to distribute their bands in the future, it's really NO different to Kazaa, only that you pay for it. And I dont think that people, when offered a FREE alternative, are going to take the one that costs just because they dont want to feel like they're ripping off the bands. You seem to be forgetting that most people aren't so moral.

Advertisement