Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

One dish, two boxes

• 03-10-2002 5:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭

Someone I know has one dish and two $ky boxes. Adding a second LNB is too expensive an option for him at the moment, so he has asked me to ask you if it's technically possible to install a switch between the two boxes, feeding the satellite feed into that and switching as required.

Switching the scarts from the boxes would be easy enough as there are plenty of scart switches out there.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Your friend can not afford a second digital LNb [here] for €45 so a Diseqc switch would workout the same including materials...so your friend is stuck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rlogue

Well, the cost of the LNB isn't an issue. But the cost of installation is! He's been quoted GB£120 for the LNB and the installation.

Surely a switch would be cheaper!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Originally posted by rlogue
    Well, the cost of the LNB isn't an issue. But the cost of installation is! He's been quoted GB£120 for the LNB and the installation.

Surely a switch would be cheaper!

Why does he not just fit it himself if the installation cost is an issue?

Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rlogue

He suffers from vertigo.

And so do I!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

I personally don't understand why they install those dishes so high up. The satellite is floating in orbit above the equator, do they really think installing the satellite two or three metres higher up is going to improve reception??

I have the dish installed on to the side of the garden shed. It works fine and it can hardly be seen, which means it isn't blemishing the urban landscape either.

I guess in some situations there is a valid reason for sticking those dishes for so high up, but most of the time I don't think there is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Well the dish is ment to have non obstructive line of sight to the sat as tree's and buildings will screw up the picture.

A dual LNB is the answer to the problem and they are a doddle to fix if you understand the concepts of how a screwdriver works :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭sergeant121

Originally posted by rlogue
    Someone I know has one dish and two $ky boxes. Adding a second LNB is too expensive an option for him at the moment, so he has asked me to ask you if it's technically possible to install a switch between the two boxes, feeding the satellite feed into that and switching as required.
    (S)He needs an SMS1 Smart Priority Switch from Global Communications - less than GB£10 including VAT and postage (order on line).

Originally posted by Venom
    Well the dish is ment to have non obstructive line of sight to the sat as tree's and buildings will screw up the picture.

A dual LNB is the answer to the problem and they are a doddle to fix if you understand the concepts of how a screwdriver works :)

I think you mean twin lnb, I have not seen one yet for a sky dish hence everyone using quads.

Tony

I'd plump for a Triax dish and a dubble lnb. Those minidishes are ugly, if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭piet

Maybe a stupid question, but do you need a second cable to go in if you fit a tin lnb?

• Advertisement

you do need a second cable to run two boxes off a twin lnb.

Piet, is that a Dutch name?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭piet

Piet, is that a Dutch name? Yes.
    I read before on the boards, it is impossible to run 2 boxes of 1 dish/cable. is it possible to run a dish and a ariael on the one cable?

I've wondered about that myself. I'm here in Amsterdam (goeiemiddag trouwens), and we get the standard cable TV as well as the dish we have outside. I've often wondered if I could hook up the dish to the cables that go to the different TV outlet points in the house, so I could use satellite tv upstairs without having to run an extra cable. I've never tried it, because a satellite system runs 12 volt electricity through the cable, and that might overload the TV/VCR.

Maybe Tony knows more about this.

Originally posted by Lennoxschips
    I've wondered about that myself. I'm here in Amsterdam (goeiemiddag trouwens), and we get the standard cable TV as well as the dish we have outside. I've often wondered if I could hook up the dish to the cables that go to the different TV outlet points in the house, so I could use satellite tv upstairs without having to run an extra cable. I've never tried it, because a satellite system runs 12 volt electricity through the cable, and that might overload the TV/VCR.

Maybe Tony knows more about this.

I would not recommend it without using a diplexer and changing the outlet plate.

Tony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Icehouse

I presume what Tony means by a diplexer/output plate is a combiner(commutateur in French) and a new wall socket which will join/split respectively the frequencies from the cable and satellite sources - I use a system lie this for my roof (terrestrial) aerial and Sky dish and it works a treat, cost about €30 in all. Bought a 2.4Ghz TV sender this week as well, so now I can watch TV elsewhere in the house without more cabling. Joy!!

yep thats the one

Advertisement