Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the vanishing task manager 2k pro.

• 03-10-2002 6:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭

I wanted to access my task manager earlier to boost the process priority of a proggy running and to my surprise when I pressed ctrl+alt+del the task manager is there but I cannot get to it, it's greyed out :eek:

Right clicking my taskbar and looking for it there also finds it greyed out. I ran a virus scan and no joy whatsoever? Can anyone shed some light on this please? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭ando

try logging on as local administrator, or make a new profile with admin rights and log onto that profile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

I am logged in as admin, it's a standalone pc. The only other user I have in profiles is power user and I've tried both, same result :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭ando

try clicking start, run, and typing in: taskmgr.exe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Get a dos based program named tlist.exe (its in the Resource Kits)

run the tlist proggie to find out what 'tasks' are running and check to see if any is unnecessary

to stop a suspect task you also need another resource kit program to kill the task (by task ID which is a number) this is called kill.exe

tlist

kill 456

all in a dos window

type cmd in start menu > run to get a dos prompt

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

cheers lads, shall give it a shot when I get home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

hey man
    not many ppl know this but the proper keyboard shortcut for accessing the task manager is

Ctrl,right shift and escape..

jumps straight to task manager

neat ha :-)

Advertisement