Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick of Dublin Indie Clubs so...

Options
  • 03-10-2002 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭

I've been sick of paying €10 into alternative clubs to hear the same music in the same order as I heard the week before (The La's followed by sweet child followed by white stripes followed by blah blah) so in true remmington razor style I set up my own (or did that guy buy remmington?).

Papa Lazarou's is based in Voodoo and opens on Friday night (October 4th) and will run every Friday.

Here's the specs

Bands before hand till 11-ish (this week Otranome, Oz, Violent Sky and Tokin)
    €6 (€5 if you say "I love gigsmart" at the door)

DIFFERENT SONGS IN DIFFERENT ORDER each week with the best DJ's who love music and pepper their sets with tunes from various genres.

[/b]€2 Voodoo shot (schnapps, Vodka and fruit juices)

Easy spot to get a taxi from.
    (Their heading back into town empty! Take advantage!)

Here's a handy map!

Anyone have any requests for tunes? Bring a cd too, if it rox it gets played

Voodoo_map.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

hmmmmm......................................................................
    tis only a LITTLE less than other clubs, and its weird and strange but i DO like the sound of those cheap shots...
    i'll give u a try, but u'd better be damn good....

think of a new name too... just an idea :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

Personally I paid €10 into whelans for the last 3 sweeks with no drinkies promotion only to struggle to get a taxi home outside the place. With the exception of Death Disco last Friday I also noticed that the DJ plays the same jaded stuff in the same order every week and the biggest response he got was when he played "Sweet Child Of Mine".

The name is a character from The league of gentlemen that has a voodoo-esque vibe about him, if anyone has a better voodoo-related name then post that up and ye shall be rewarded with a free Pass & drink if I change the name to it!

For €5 (with the password!) and the songs we all like (not some obscure b-side from a deleted smiths 7" that ppl pretend to know to look cool!) this club should rock like theres no tommorrow!

If anyone has any constructive suggestions post em up! This is a club of the people!

Thanks for being the first to say your trying Papa Laz out! chance , I shall reward you with a free pass for you and a friend, check your PM box!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭shay

Hey,
    In all sincerity, good luck my friend!
    Dublin really needs more indie clubs. For it's size, it should have a hell of a lot more.
    I reached the same level of disappointment with the Dublin indie scene about two years ago and started up my own club too. Alas, it was in Frazers on O'Connell Street and the geniuses that owned the place scheduled college nights on the same night upstairs!!! Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.
    It goes without saying it didn't last too long.
    Anyhoo, best of luck.
    P.S. Re: the name of the club -maybe the name of that bad guy's from the James Bond film, ya know the one with the Voodoo, I think the film was called Dr. No..... :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

DIFFERENT SONGS IN DIFFERENT ORDER each week with the best DJ's who love music and pepper their sets with tunes from various genres.

Is this not a contradiction in terms??? A set suggest a number of tunes in a set order. The problem with all indie clubs is because it is a genre there is only a limited amount of suitable tunes to choose from ... even less if you're trying to fill a dance floor. You can try and mix in some cheezy stuff or even the odd great song from another genre. The problem is that some people just don't get it ... and are quick to assail the DJ with "why are you playing this". The other problem is that you would be surprised how many people will request these tired jaded songs week in week out! You can never win!

Jeez, €10 for entry to a club night? Anyway there's always Phantasm @ €6.50 on a Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

yeah, its usually 10 euro in the clubs in the shelter, sometimes even more. but Thomas, i must say it sounds amazingly good value considering there'll eb bands and all on earlier. I'll try and check it out one night, even though i work most fridays, i think im free this day next week, so i might pop in and see whats happenin. and sample some of the shots :)

Monkey tennis played an amazing range of stuff the last time i was there, and i knew most of it, and it all made me want to dance. I'll admit even helter shelter, which im so fond of praising plays a bit of stuff i dont know,and therefore i may not want to dance to it, but at least they play a lot of stuff ive never heardof being played in a club before (i mean..the cocteau twins...COME ON!!!!! YAY!)

But yeah, BrianD, that's also true, that songs that a single individual would LOVE to hear at an alt nightclub, that'd be so special to someone, vary so much from person to person that running an alt nightclub with a lot of new stuff would probably be very dangerous, and not very succesful. The whole point of a club, is to be able to dance, and you're already limited with that, because u hvae to play tunes above a certain tempo (can u imagine trying to dance to somehitng like tender by blur, or bands like low, and even my own fave, the cocteau twins? most of them just woudlnt cut it on a dance floor!)

and then it all ends in people requesting songs that most people are tired of hearing anyway so its kind of a vicious cycle.

and thomas....whats wrong with wanting to hear an obscure b side smiths single???? eh?????? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

i'll be there tonight thomas me oul' stock....

personally, just on the point of high tempo and stuff like that, i dont feel that just because its an indie/alt. "club" does it have to be all music to dance to... was in da2 during the day downstairs a few weeks ago and there was this excellent dj on playing real chilled out stuff and it was so mellow and cool really loved it but didnt get the urge to get up and dance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

Im very interested to hear fresh stuff from Dublin bands that will be played,

I've listened to some amazing stuff recorded by Dublin bands and hope to hear a **** poad more...Voodoo is the only place in dublin accomadating that buzz at the moment....

Here's hoping for the best.

Trev

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭GerK

WAHEY! A cool club round the corner from my gaff! FANTASTIC!

I was ALWAYS saying Voodoo would make a GREAT Alt/Indie club
    Is Marcus still the manager?!?! He laughed at me when I suggested it to him! FECKER! (I wanted to call it Americentric :D )

Anyways I'll back Thomas up, its a great spot and hundreds of empty taxis flow by all night!

I'll try and get in tonite, but I'll deffo be in next week!
    WHO'LL JOIN ME! :p

Originally posted by polarbelly
    i'll be there tonight thomas me oul' stock....

personally, just on the point of high tempo and stuff like that, i dont feel that just because its an indie/alt. "club" does it have to be all music to dance to... was in da2 during the day downstairs a few weeks ago and there was this excellent dj on playing real chilled out stuff and it was so mellow and cool really loved it but didnt get the urge to get up and dance.

was this directed at my post? that was kind of my point, but it sounded like u were trying to disagree with me or somehting.I mean a club is a club...its supposed to play music u can dance to, and like u said, if music is too slow how does it make u wanna get up and dance, or how are u supposed to?

Im not saying its bad music, coz its my faveourite kind!!! But u can't dance to it!And its cool if its playing when ur having a drink or whatever (u said it was on during the daytime, so it was hardly a club)

or else i just took u up the wrong way and im sorry! I'm in a bad mood coz im in a computer room,and there's some bitch on her phone being really loud!!! Loud ppl really annoy me. personality clash.

Originally posted by thedrowner

The whole point of a club, is to be able to dance, and you're already limited with that, because u hvae to play tunes above a certain tempo (can u imagine trying to dance to somehitng like tender by blur, or bands like low, and even my own fave, the cocteau twins? most of them just woudlnt cut it on a dance floor!)

i just disagree with that part of what you said drowner me love.

i dont think the whole point of a club is to be able to dance, thats why i said 'personally' above... cos i know alot of ppl would probs disagree with me, but i'd be perfectly happy to be in an indie club just playing good tunes, where i could sit down with my mates and chill out with a few drinks, thats just me though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭buzzerbuckley

I`m with the bear on this one.

The idea that you have to play fast songs at a club does`nt cut any ice with me.It virtually rules out 40% of music.

you can dance to anything if your heart desires.being obsessed with the amount of people on a dance floor misses the point.

A whole section of indie chilled music ranging from; beth orthon,go betweens,kathryn williams,ryan adams.nina hynes.neil young.las post.cocteau twins,sundays, etc etc is ignore by most clubs in general on this policy.

Personally I think irish bands should also be played and not just turn or the frames ie last post.pony club,a house,brando.melaton.thrills,devlins.npb.prayerboat.engine alley w
    alls.fat lady sings(both old and new bands)

as for the smiths how about "i know its over"? now that would be a first!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Sorry I could'nt make it tonight, and won't make it for the next 6 weekends or so. But i you are still going by the start of November, and you are prepared to play some Kyuss and Refused, then I will be there. DDD in Whelans last week was good, apart from the inability to raise my pint to my mouth cos of the overcrowing. Some QOTSA would be appreciated as well, with a bit of Capdown, Sparta, The Cooper Temple Clause, and Hundred Reasons. Oh, and Jetplane Landing/Clearshot.

Best O Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

fair play to you thomas, i'll try and get down soon. could i perchance dj some night? if you know who i am you know where to find me.......

Sure thing Sea...

It was good crack last night, as I say if you have a track that rox on you on the night then bring it down for it will get played.

sorry polar and buzzer, to me, the point of a club is....well not that you have to dance all night long, but that u have the option.

i prefer sitting down and chillin wi me mates to it to, but i wouldnt call it a club then.

and buzzerbuckley, if i ever meet you i am going to make you prove yer point by dancing to something like 'the thinner the air' by the coteau twins.

:D

Buzzer if you come to the club next week with I know its over on CD then we shall lay it for thee

i believe we're going here next week to celebrate Silverfish's bday (i dont think weve told her that yet.....but we are, hun!) so if i see BB and he hasnt brought a copy i am going to have a spare one in my bag and i am going to watch as he struts his stuff to it ;)

Deadly, introduce yourselves and I'll help you birthday-ise the proceedings Papa Lazarou style.

I'll be the hippy in black at the door (before ten) and fussing about the place (all night).

dont forget to had to that description...

the hippy with the hair... you'll know when you meet him katy

is it longer than my hair?
    thats not possible!
    is it bigger than my hair????
    again, thats not possible

• Advertisement

you have seen me many times,at the shelter,mostly beside ur mate bren or "the nicest people in the world u`ll ever meet"

Its good to have some fast and slow.a mixture is always welcome.except for withnail with drink and antifreeze.

if i make my debut i`ll have it if not im sure the drowner will do the deed....

what???
    im confused
    do u know who i am?
    are you the guy who was arguing about the nice debate really late one night?
    im so confused
    ah well
    not much of a difference from usual then

no thats not me.i believe that was tom,bren and keith?

mmmi heard paula was debating the nice treaty after hours as well at hte shelter.theres a babe and a half for you,or rather me

so, do u know who i am then?
    and od i know who u are?
    have i talked to u before? or tried to make u give me a tip or anything?:)

hang on hang on hang on

are you the really friendly guy with the blonde hair and u sometimes wear a yellow t shirt?

no no and er no!

as mr pink once said "i dont tip"!2 euro for a jacket and u wanna tip???!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

i believe we're going here next week to celebrate Silverfish's bday (i dont think weve told her that yet.....but we are, hun!)

Oh Sh*te.

I apologise for not getting my ass in gear and getting to Voodoo for me stupid burfday, but when everyone seemed to tell me they couldn't go ( Kurdt, Johnnynolegs and Mister 120 minutes) I just didn't see the point. (And Sandi and Drowner texted me when I'd already told the parents I'd be home.....)

But nobody, nobody told me the Cocteau twins would be played.... so instead I went to work all day, came home and had the sh*tiest burfday ever......

Booooooo to it all. Can we celebrate my birthday next week?

its ok
    it couldt have been as bad as my twentieth birthday, when my brother gave me my presen and i started crying in front of him, coz i was sorry for crying on my birthday earlier on. you dont understand....I DONT CRY.....EVER! (unless its ER)so there was some really hormonal ****ed up **** going on there...

anyway, i would lurve to celebrate yer b day next week....er....
    can we do it on sunday? its my only night off!!!!

Fintan (DJ, Brother and now EMPLOYEE! heh heh!) couldn't find any cocteau twins in his cd collection so if you have summat you want played by all means bring it down and ring me on 085-7189920 if its your birthday and we'll make a party of it, theres no club on the 25th (Friday week) but we'll be back on the week after with two gigs (Halloween and All Hallows, 31/10/2002 and 01/11/2002) with two dynamite gigs. Watch this space.

• Advertisement
Advertisement