Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a big difference?

• 03-10-2002 7:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭

Is there a big difference between sdram running at 133 than 100? i have a stick of 256 at 133 mhz, one 128 mb stick at 100 and a 64 mb at 100 mhz. Do you think i would be better off with just the 256 stick at 133?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

the motherboard must be capable of running at 133

check your motherboard or model of computer against the selector
    Here while rememberin that if it offers 133 or 100 as choices you will be running the 133 AT 100 and not at full speed. The price of 100 and 133 is about the same with the 133 sometimes being a tad cheaper coz its still in widespread demand.

I have a spare stick of 256Mb 133 memory in a PII running at 66mhz (half speed) and it is 'seen' as 128Mb so I lost haf the memory as well as half the speed.

speed is not the only matching criteria for memory.

Solid as a rock. Must upgrade the mobo/processor sometime though. :)

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Running out of RAM and having to dip into swap space is _MUCH_ worse than PC133 vs PC100 speed difference. Even if you're not heavily into swap, having more RAM means a bigger and more effective disk cache.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

find out the CAS latenies of the chips.
    if your mobo supports it (You still have that server case dopn't you?) you could drop them to CAS3 (3ns latency) and up the fSB to 133.
    You *may* have to get rid of the 64dimm as it may not support 133 at all, or may be CAS3 PC100.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

thats why I swear by the Crucial selector, it knows all the supported cas settings for a given MoBo......

for dell or gateway pIII systems by way of example it will be CAS2 which is called CL2 on the crucial site. The fact that only CL2 is available tells you that the motherboard cannot be configured in any other way.

you mix and match these settings at your peril.

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭conor-mr2

Originally posted by [-=RaVeN=-]
    Is there a big difference between sdram running at 133 than 100? i have a stick of 256 at 133 mhz, one 128 mb stick at 100 and a 64 mb at 100 mhz. Do you think i would be better off with just the 256 stick at 133?

256 at 133 versus 448 at 100.

I think I would go with the latter. What chip are u using--whats its fsb set at---ie a 800mhz chip could be 133x6 or it could be 100x8.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Not to sure conor about my fsb but my cpu is a p3 1 ghz. Think i'll leave all my ram in seems to work at 133 so woot!

Advertisement