Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows wont copy files??

• 03-10-2002 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭

Hi

for the past while ive been struggling to get win2k installed.

I use the 4 floppy boot/setup sequency, format the drive, and begin copying.

However it give multiple errors about files not being copied. Its not the CD itself because i tried 4 different windows 2k CD's.

Could it be the CD-drive(s) (ive tried 2), the BUS, the RAM, the FLOPPY, the CPU/MOBO, HDD?

Any help appretiated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Matfinn

If you have trouble installing windows 2000 from the cdrom drive, then use the hard drive. Heres how its done.

1) Format the drive if you havent done already.

2) Using a windows 98 bootablr floppy disk, boot the system, and copy all the files in the <drive letter>\i386\ directory to your hard drive to a directory called i386. You can make this by typing 'mkdir i386'. You can find windows 98 or ME boot disk images on the web. Try a google search.

3) Once files are copied, descend into your i386 directory on your hard drive.

4) Once there, type 'winnt.exe' and the windows 2000 install process will begin.

Hope that helps. Need any more help let me know.

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

k, thanx, ill give it a go when i get home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Try what was suggested but it can also be down to your ide controller if you had a highpoint or promise ATA controller either card or built in.. It will be that if it cant copy any files or says no mass storage found... if its just certain files then ignore this and go with what was suggested. Oh also load smartdrv, should be on a win98 cd in the win98 folder.. makes it goa lot faster... just make sure you get an info screen.. if not first time load it again until you get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

Well i got it working. I copied files from the CD to the Hard Drive, however all the .CL_ files & .RM_ files wouldnt work right so i had to copy them after they had failed in the setup. Maybe this was because of the files names as they were all in the format

appser~1.cls etc maybe ms-dos coppied them incorrectly, i duno.

Now my dual channel isdn doesnt seem to be working so i have to sort that out. This is the 1st time ive used 2k, i always relied on 98, its so much better!

Oh, and for the smartdrv, i didnt load it and it took hours to copy & install :(

Ill know for next time though.

Advertisement