Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

D15 WAN meeting

• 04-10-2002 3:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Some members of the dublinwan living in the D15 area are meeting on Monday to work on development of a wireless network in the area.

To date we have people from Ashtown, Blanchardstown, Castleknock, Clonsilla and Dunsink.

There are two active nodes in the area so far.

Meeting is scheduled for Myo's in Castleknock Village at 7:30pm Monday 7th October.

An importer of 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz equipment will be at the meeting. He also supplies equipment for satellite broadband.

Hope to see some of you there,
    Niall B.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭conor-mr2

Howya I know nothing about Wireless but am interested to know more. Am living in D15 area. Not too far from Myos actually. Am sick to my nads of the crap service from Esat so would be very interested in this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

count me in too, same as conor Mr2 - but contemplating getting a laptop - and this is they way i will be surfing in my house - via a proxy on my desktops

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭niallb

Thanks for the feedback.

We'll be at the table with the plastic fish on it.
    Daft, but easier than putting up a flag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

niallb

have you any idea of what costs/priec are involved, just to give an idea.

thanks

Hi Borzoi,
    the price of the equipment depends on what you want to do with it.

[THIS IS NOT INTERNET ACCESS,
    it is a local connection to a group of users.
    It can be used to either share an internet connection between a number of these users subject to certain legal restrictions.

At its simplest, to connect to a central node, you need a wireless card, cables and an antenna.
    The card is usually PCMCIA or PCMCIA in a PCI adapter for a desktop. Maplins are currently the cheapest I know of in Dublin with a USB adapter for under €90.

Many users buy over the internet. I've bought a card from fab-corp.com in Florida. The card I got here had an external antenna socket which makes life much easier.

Cabling costs depend on distance and card/antenna type. Budget at least €40.

Antennas vary in price depending on how far you need to reach, or whether you want to have access in more than one direction.
    Stephen Reader from Saggart makes antennas which have a good reputation for about €30.

The best way to find out more is to subscribe to the dublinwan mailing list. You can register at

http://dublin.irishwan.org/mailinglist.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

how do i get involved?

is there a website etc for the D15 1?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

The best way atm to get involved is to subsrive to our newly created, (courteousy of niallb) dublin 15 wan mailing list.

http://lapsedhippy.com/mailman/listinfo/d15wan

hmm i think a forum may be a nicer way to go rather than a mailing list?

Devore can setup a private on here no prob!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I might be interested, am in Castleknock myself.
    As regards internet sharing, there is ADSL available in my road in castleknock, don't know about the rest of the area but maybe b/width sharing could take place?

Well i'll be getting a 1024/1024 connection installed so i may be able to share at least some of it :)

I think a forum we need tbh

• Advertisement

theres the irishwan.org/board to use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by STaN
    Well i'll be getting a 1024/1024 connection installed so i may be able to share at least some of it :)

I think a forum we need tbh

From Eircom?

I'll set up a site at
    http://d15wan.lapsedhippy.com
    Expect it by the weekend.
    Links up for now.

I would rather just have it as a web interface to the mailing list however, so that people can choose which method they prefer, but everybody still gets all posts.

As conor-mr2 says, there's the irishwan.org/board for this.

Either myself or nahdoic will check the wireless board every day if we can.
    We'll also post any news or meetings to this forum.

The D15 WAN is aimed at helping people in the loose D15 area (D7 to Cabra, and across to Lucan so far) to arrange connections with people near them. It is not intended to replace the DublinWAN mailing list, and all subscribers are encouraged to subscribe to both (link below).

One aim is to form a large enough connected group that we can contact a broadband supplier directly to supply access to our group.
    Most subscribers are interested in the technology for its own sake and want to learn more about it.

This is not simply about cheap internet access.
    (Though it may lead to it sooner or later. :p )

All discussion about wireless in the wider sense should be addressed in the mailing list of the DublinWAN,
    http://dublin.irishwan.org/mailinglist.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Originally posted by STaN
    www.leap.ie :)

Perhaps you should mention this on the Net\Comms, IOFFl board, as Im in D15 and had no idea that Leap operated this far out.

Do you know where their transmitter is? I emailed them, still awaiting reply.

Matt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

I live in brookhaven (near the shopping centre). I was on the trial for dsl, so i could get it, although i'm not paying €107 a month for it. Wouldnt mind sharing it if people wanted to.....

I've been harping with the idea of getting involved with Dublin WAN, and i do intend to. Only thing preventing me at the moment is sheer lazyness.....

Hi Matt,
    leap don't operate out this far yet, but we could be the first to experience them outside the city centre.

Take it easy though, this is the second time I've been in touch with them over a proposed Northside access point. They are limited by siteowners.

Last I heard they were in negotiation with ESB for a site on three rock mountain. Before that they were looking for a high building on the North Circular Road. This was months ago, and nothing yet.

Three Rock would be our best bet for most of this area. Lets see what happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Well, I called them before your reply was posted ;) , here is what they had to say:

- They have a site on Three Rock now, the "tallest mast" is the one they will be using.

- Commercial service is planned to start in the D15 area for December to January period.

- At the moment they are setting up equipment on Three Rock.

So, by Christmas, the Blanchardstown area at least will have a choice of Broadband operators.. (not all of D15 though, as some of the outside areas are outside ADSL range)?!

Matt

ive setup a redirect to make it easier to access the site:

www.d15wan.tk

btw if your setting up a forum, phpbb & ikonboard are the best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

I'm based in D15.

Will probably be moving house soon but remaining in D15. New house will not have landline installed and don't fancy paying for installation and then be screwed bi-monthly thereafter as I never really use the land line for voice calls.

I'm a light internet user i.e not a gamer and not big into downloading.
    Is there any commitment to internet access via this service and any indications as to availability/uptime of the service once up and running?

I should be able to get access to wireless cards through work so cost of install will be a bit lower.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Mailman
    Is there any commitment to internet access via this service and any indications as to availability/uptime of the service once up and running?

I think we all want to get internet access. But the view of most of the members, is that they want to the wireless network up and running first, then add internet access to it.

so by the time you've moved house, we might have the network set up with internet access.

Couldn't give any indications myself as to the availability/uptime of the service. But I can't think of a good reason as to why it wouldn't be very reliable once up and running.

Hi Mailman,
    no need to rush out and buy equipment when you move.
    If you like, while you're looking for a new place,we could see about getting a test antenna parked outside and see how you get on.
    I've seen people say they'd take a house if they knew it would get DSL, so this is pretty similar.
    Some of us here have really bad line of sight problems and will be looking into a slightly different wireless technology which is better at going through trees.
    First test of this will be between myself at Dunsink and a user in Clonsilla, probably next weekend or early the week after.
    This is intended to link areas awkward for standard wireless into the larger picture.

Also, rumours of leap's progress are getting stronger, with perhaps the whole area being covered by Christmas. :rolleyes:
    For a casual user, their minimum package might be a bit steep, but it still brings bandwidth into D15.

If you can do without a landline, go for it, you'd have a moderate mobile bill paid before you'd covered your line rental and first call!

http://d15wan.lapsedhippy.com
    and keep in touch.
    (Likewise STaN, we've decided to stick to mailing list for now anyway. Looking forward to hearing from you)

NiallB

heh

ive never been an advocate of mailing lists, i find them spammy and to fill up my hotmail account and get it disabled :D , wherea's in a forum you just browse through the posts and flick past anything you dont want to read :)

We'll im in the Georgian Village so i think ive a really bad line of site to anywhere else as there are tree's all over the place so i dont know what the story with that is. I find their vodafone have really bad coverage in the estate to, maybe becuase of interferance i dunno (thats irrelevant), im no wireless expert :) .

How many people are we looking at joining? Also any news on the website and/or coverage map/node location & member map?

Hi STaN,
    Georgian village is pretty close to one of the active Access Points. There's no internet access available yet.
    I'll post here before the next meeting,
    hope to see you come along.

You can post to the mailing list without joining, though your posts will be delayed as they need to be modded.
    This should reduce spam. If you think the list itself might be spammy, no way of knowing yet, but it's fairly low volume now.
    We intend to keep it to postings just about the local area, sight tests and
    organising groups that can legally take advantage of sharing an internet connection.
    The list will also contain news of pub visits.

There's 16 members at the moment, 3 pretty close to you.

Niall B

yep mailing lists can get spammy alright. the D. 15 mailing list is nice and small though. as niallb said, it just deals with local issues, so you'll probably be very interested in all the mails.

the list isn't even receiving 2 or 3 mails a day. no harm in giving it a go!? if it starts to get spammy we'll see about setting up a forum.

Also any news on the website and/or coverage map/node location & member map?

not as yet. we'll keep you posted (so join the mailing list :P)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 nipple

Does anyone have access to a decent map of the Dublin 15 area? If so, I'll get the addresses of each active/planned node and mark them on it. It'll make it easier for people to work out who they're most-likely going to be able to get LOS to.

Dave.

if ye want a hand, giz a shout :)

im on the mailing list btw :D

Hi STaN,
    just posted off a load of questions to the mailing list.
    Do I remember you saying a few months back you had netsystems?
    If you do, how do you find it, is it slowing down a lot recently, is it reliable?
    What kind of DVB card do you use?

How you fixed early Friday evening for a pint?

hey

no it wasnt me that had netsystems. Duno about friday. I is only 19 like ;)

• Advertisement

Pints optional, but I was hoping to drop into Myos around 7/7:30 on Friday to maybe plot some testing on Saturday.

Also we should probably try and find another location where we could set up some kit for people who haven't seen it.

DublinWAN meetings in the Clarendon start with an introduction and demo of equipment, which is useful.
    I might be able to borrow a location for something similar, or if anyone else has any suggestions,
    post the list at d15wan@lapsedhippy.com

i'll be there and possibly ronan.

ive a few questions to ask etc

Can we clarify the time in Myos on Friday please? I thought it was 6.30?

its 6.30 afaik

The time for Myos this evening has been fixed at 6:30.
    Some people attending have comittments later in the evening.

There'll be a few of us still there at 7:30 though, 6:30 could be a bit early for many.

We're meeting at 4:30 at magazine fort in the park tomorrow.

We'll be testing out the distance we can get from 2 9dBi omni antennaes, and seeing how trees etc. effect.

All welcome to come along.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

any updates on this one,please !??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Thread is 4 years old! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

Dublin wan kinda ground to a hault.

More details on www.irishwan.ie there has been a little activity.
    The old forum at irishwan.org has been abandoned use the .ie domain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Sweet!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

irlrobins wrote:
    Thread is 4 years old! :rolleyes:

OK,saw that one...
    One more post for you,but no answer for me !

Regards...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement