Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extreme/Agile Programming

Options
  • 04-10-2002 9:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭

I attended a very interesting seminar recently on Agile Programming and I was just wondering have any of you guys got any experience working with extreme programming or agile programming practices?

I'm a bit sceptical to be honest but apparently it's very successful. Has anyone got any (horror) stories?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

I would like a fresh order of success stories meself.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Unit testing
    I have to say without doing it you won't realise how much time it saves. It also allows fast refactoring of code.

Some of the stuff is plainly obvious as well. For example don't get your developers to design the application, get the customers to.

However I don't think all of XP is for everyone. This design on the fly is not IMO a good idea for certain systems. In some instances it can lead to problems.

But this applies to different methods as well.

Go with what works.

A link (which I haven't read either so doing so now).

http://www.martinfowler.com/articles/newMethodology.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

The guy we saw was suggesting that you write your test cases first then write code that passes the tests. He said that if you're test code to execution code ratio is 1:1 or less then you're in trouble. In other words you should have at least as many lines of unit test code as you have actual application code.

Check out a tool called IntelliJ that facilitates this style of programming.

Ever tried pair programming? I can't see that working, ever. Pair engineering maybe but pair programming, no way.

Oh yeah, the guy we saw was from a Dublin company called eXoftware (www.exoftware.com) their site is worth a look.

Advertisement