Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Disappearing teletext on Sky Digital

• 04-10-2002 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hey folks,

Just wondering if anyone else has come across the same problem with Sky Digital and Teletext:

Sometimes when I hit the text button on the channels with a standard text service like RTE and TV3, the text appears and sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't, no pages are displayed on any channel with an old sytle text service. The new digital text services work fine. The only fix I've found to work is to unplug the decoder from mains and plug it back in again after 10 or 20 seconds.

I have a Grundig digibox an I've tried updating the software by doing a forced download. But the problem still exists after the software update.

Anyone come across this before or know of a proper fix?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 dupe

Yes the same thing happens to me and I also have a Grundig box. However, I always assumed that it had something to do with swapping in and out my FTA card and Sky subsription card.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭bazza

Hmm, so I'm not the only one then. Thats good to hear.

Seems to be a 'cold boot' of the decoder does the trick. Funny thing is that sometimes text will work fine, but after a random amount of time, it stops working. Can't pin it down to anything in particular....

Anyone else notice this problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭dmeehan

ive a grundig box to
    same thing happens, but i have no fta card
    it seems its just "one of those things":D

It may be one of those things, but it shouldn't happen! Its very annoying to have to unplug/plug-in the decoder all the time, not to mention the fact its probably bad for the box to keep doing that. I'm getting the feeling that its a 'problem' with the Grundig equipment.

I've asked some friends with Sky Dig and non-Grundig boxes and they don't appear to have this problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Lookout

I have the same problem... very annoying...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭dmeehan

lookout, do you have a grundig box too?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭mike2084

I have a grundig box too and have the same problem. I find you won't lose your text if you leave your digibox on a channel that has old style text when you turn off your tv. Leave on a channel like Sky News, Sky Sports, Racing Channel, CNN, CNBC.

Dmeehan, I sure do have a Grundig......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i have a Grundig and don't have this problem at all :)

Mossy - any chance you can post your software version numbers and all that so we can compare?

• Advertisement

Folks,

I mailed Grundig on this and after a whole series of emails where they claimed the problem was with the TV etc... they said the box would require a service as they hadn't seen this problem before and the service would cost me!

Heres some of the chain of emails :

cut here

From: Grundig Technical [mailto:grundigtech@btconnect.com]

The problem you describe is not known to us. The box will require service, which is carried out at a central location in the UK. Please contact a local installer who can arrange for the box to be repaired. There will be a charge for this service.

Sorry for the repeat e-mails but until the last one the full situation did not become clear.

Regards
    ServiceUK Grundig

Original Message
    To: "'Grundig Technical'" <grundigtech@btconnect.com>
    Sent: Wednesday, October 09, 2002 3:57 PM
    Subject: RE: Grundig Inquiry

I don't think you understand the situation fully:

- There is no problem with the TV using analogue text on a channel supplied from a cable source. This works perfectly and has always done.

- There is no problem with the TV using analogue text on a channel supplied from an UHF/VHF antenna. This also works perfectly and never fails. Therefore there is no problem with the TV as text always works when using the above two sources.

- There is a problem using analogue text services on a channel supplied from digital satellite via the Grundig decoder. When analogue text fails to display on one channel, it fails to display for ALL other analogue text channels until the decoder is unplugged and plugged-in again. No change has been made to the TV at this point, nor has the TV been switched off. The only change that is made is to the decoder. It is 'reset' by the power cycle
    and low and behold, analogue text now works when the decoder is switched back on. This indicates a problem with the decoder, not the TV.

- There is no problem using analogue text services on a channel supplied from digital satellite via other manufacturers decoders.

- The problem still exists when using a different TV and the Grundig decoder, therefore the problem has to exist in the decoder!

Can you advise in light of this info please?

> >
    Original Message
    > > From: Grundig Technical [mailto:grundigtech@btconnect.com]
    > > Sent: 09 October 2002 14:58
    > > Subject: Re: Grundig Inquiry
    > >
    > >
    > > If analogue teletext is also faulty from the RTE1 and RTE2
    > > then the problem
    > > is most likely to be in the TV and not the Digibox.
    > >
    > > Regards
    > >
    > >
    > > ServiceUK Grundig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

Get This. I only have Sky Digital(Grundig Box) about a month. During the first week I noticed the normal teletext on RTE ect was not working. I rang Sky and the guy said it is not available with Sky digital. I did not know any better but persevered with questions. Eventually he told me to unplug the box and when I re-booted it was back. The Sky guy was a bit sheepish and offered no solution to the problem other than the re-boot. This is IMO a problem with the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

My father has a recent Grundig box and has the same problem. Text won't come back without a reboot.

No problem on my panny31

I'd say returning the box to Grundig won't solve anything if pretty much everyone who replied to this thread who owns a Grundig has the same problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by bazza
    Mossy - any chance you can post your software version numbers and all that so we can compare?

Model Number: 2.32
    Operating System Version: 1.2S4BC
    EPG Software Version: 2.8b*

Right, my digibox reports:

Model No: 2.33a
    Version No: 4E0405
    O/S Version: 1.2S4Bj
    EPG Version: 3.0.11*

So no help there then - doesn't seem to matter what version of software it is. Its almost like as if theres like a buffer or a cache filling up and it being cleared down by the power cycle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 ijc

I too have a Grundig digibox and have the same problem of disappearing text. It happens so often that I sometimes don't reboot it for weeks.Although I have noticed something odd on tg4 text. Even when the service is working and I page 888 to get subtitles they wont work for some reason.The service just freezes.This only seems to happen on TG4 - not RTE1& N2. Could this have something to do with the rubbish frequency Sky has allocated to the Irish channels?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It is an occasional problem with all digiboxes and all software versions.

Teletext is on a separate data stream, unlike Analog TV where it is "piggybacked" on the video blank lines.

The Digibox receieves it and then inserts it into the TV Video.

The problem may be related to too high an error rate. RTE is on a 22,000 rather than 27,000 transponder with FEC of 5/6 rather than 2/3. So low signal might occasionally crash the Teletext stream reception.

The Grundigs are a bit less good on weaker signals.

The QUALITY bargraph shows the default transponder rather than the last channel. But if it is less than 2/3rd it might be issue.

Is it more common [Loosing Teletext] on heavy damp days or rain?

Dunno - will monitor it. Seems to happen at random intervals. But given we get SOOOO much rain, it should be easy to test this theory.

The problem may be related to too high an error rate. RTE is on a 22,000 rather than 27,000 transponder with FEC of 5/6 rather than 2/3. So low signal might occasionally crash the Teletext stream reception.

Would this also be the reason why sometimes when viewing the Biography channel or History +1 the picture goes Black and White. It comes back on its own about 1 minute later. But it only seems to happen on these two channels.

Maybe it is only happening to me !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭SkySter

You're not the only one who experiences colour dropout on the History channel and yes I've got a silver Grundig as well.

SkySter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Originally posted by Lookout
    Would this also be the reason why sometimes when viewing the Biography channel or History +1 the picture goes Black and White. It comes back on its own about 1 minute later. But it only seems to happen on these two channels.

Maybe it is only happening to me !!!

No a separate problem. likely either a faulty box or faulty TV. It being a Grundig, or poor signal won't do it at all.

Since the Grundig boxes are known to be not as good with poorer signals they will need rebooted more than any other box due to either less than perfect dish alignment or VERY heavy rain.

The theory as to loosing teletext more often, though is just that. A theory.
    It is a fact though that ANY digibox can "lose" ANY of the following for no proved reason:
    1) Teletext. (reboot)
    2) Sound. (Just noise. OK after channel change)
    3) EPG now/ next (comes alright, if not 4 also)
    4) EPG guide (reboot)
    5) "Digital text" / Interactive services (reboot)

Things with "Known" reasons:
    1) Frozen picture. Bad or no signal. Might need boot
    2) Blockyness. Poor signal
    3) Hang after access some Astra 19 Channels. Reboot OR access a Hotbird 13 Channel. Due to EPG info on Astra.
    4) Lose all "Other Channels". Originally space for 50 allocated. Some activities seem to use part of the same memory or just delete them. Up to 20 seems reliable.
    5) RF channel jumps to 68. Box reinitalised by Sky. Rare.
    6) Favorite you can't delete. Typically MC now don't have channel numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Galvatron

The digiboxes are designed for digitial text, not analogue text so sometimes the box just doesn't pick up the signal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,541 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I also experience this phenomena occasionally on my Pace box..
    It's a pain in the butt, but only happens infrequently, and is fixed by the reboot..

So, it's not just you Grundig owners!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 mbflavin

I noticed this problem on RTE when I had a my original Grundig box - but I paid not notice as I just assumed it was RTE's fault, Can't say I noticed it on digital teletext - doesn't mean I didn't happen though. The problem dissappeared when I had the Grundig box replaced with a Panasonic box for a problem which turned out to have nothin to do with the box at all. Anyway I never thought of it again until I read your thread - the installation technician said he'd replaced countless Grundig boxes lately. My subscription was less than a year old so I got the replacemnt box free, although I still had to pay a callout charge.

Advertisement