Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lucan Accommodation

Options
  • 04-10-2002 4:00pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just a little note for those of you thinking of getting accomodation in Lucan.

Lucan is two distinct districts, Lucan Village (aka County Dublin), and Lucan South (aka Dublin 22).

Lucan Village is 11.2 miles from Trinity College (measured from the post office on Main Street Lucan) and is serviced by the 25, 66 and 67 bus routes.

Lucan South varies from 6 miles to 13 miles from the city centre and is serviced by the 25A.

Lucan South refers to all of the new areas south of the Lucan By Pass, I'm not going to name particular estates though, and includes places like the Penny Hill pub, EuroSpar shopping centre, Griffeen Community Sports Centre, and ultimately Superquinn (in Esker).

Lucan Village refers to the old village of Lucan, built around Sarsfield Demense (the Italian Embassy) and including 4 churches and 4 banks, numerous pubs etc.

Strictly speaking bus services to Lucan South are better (leaving every 7 minutes during the daytime), but given the very high housing density (over 22,000 houses were built there in the last 5 years) bus journeys are lengthened considerably as buses meander through the myriad estates, onto the old Clondalkin road, the Sarsfield area and ultimately Esker.
    Lucan village would tend to have a much better mix of housing and business/shops without the same preponderance of housing estates (there are 2 new apartment complexes beside the Liffey bridge).

Accomodation tends to be cheaper in Dublin 22 than in Lucan Village, given that there is a lot more of it on offer.

Both areas have schools and ancilliary services nearby, Dublin 22 having 2 Irish language primary schools and an Irish language secondary school (Colaiste Chillian, on Nangor Road Clondalkin).

Anyone with queries on the area feel free to PM me- I grew up there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

Nice informative post there smccarrick. Nice one

• Registered Users Posts: 11 mcmarkwell

Hi smccarrick

I know this is a relatively old post, but this is excellent advice, thank you.

I am moving to Dublin soon to work in Park West. We were considering Castleknock and Chapelizod, but it seems that the journey from Lucan might actually be as quick, and it seems like a really pleasant area, and you get a bit more for your money. (We are planning to rent first.)

I am not sure if you will pick up this thread after all this time, but if you did I wonder what the public transport and facilities are like around Lucan? My wife can't drive yet and we'll have a new baby in January, so my only worry about being slightly further away from town is that it might feel a bit isolated. What do you think?

All the best,

Michael

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Lyn256

Hi

I just replied to your other thread and just want to add-renting is a great idea-rent where you think you'd like to buy and that'll give you a great feel for an area!

Lyn

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭niamh4626

Hi Mcmarkwell,

If you are going to be working in Parkwest, Adamstown would be a great place. The train line runs from Adamstown and the first stop is Parkwest - its cheap as chips too!

I live in Adamstown myself and the transport links are great given the train line and the bus route. There is a convenience store, beauty salon Pizza place located in Adamstown and Superquinn is only 5 minutes down the road. I actually order my shopping from Superquinn on line and get it delivered which is really handy!

If you need any other info, let me know.
    mcmarkwell wrote: »
    Hi smccarrick

I know this is a relatively old post, but this is excellent advice, thank you.

I am moving to Dublin soon to work in Park West. We were considering Castleknock and Chapelizod, but it seems that the journey from Lucan might actually be as quick, and it seems like a really pleasant area, and you get a bit more for your money. (We are planning to rent first.)

I am not sure if you will pick up this thread after all this time, but if you did I wonder what the public transport and facilities are like around Lucan? My wife can't drive yet and we'll have a new baby in January, so my only worry about being slightly further away from town is that it might feel a bit isolated. What do you think?

All the best,

Michael

Advertisement