Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The European Union maybe in the future to be named the United States of Europe

Options
  • 04-10-2002 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭

Headline News item from EUobserver.

Item 7: EU SHOULD BE NAMED THE UNITED STATES OF EUROPE

Link to article http://www.euobserver.com/index.phtml?aid=7776

VALÉRY GISCARD d'ESTAING, President of the Convention on the Future of Europe, said the name has a symbolic power that gives the individual citizen the possibility of identifying themselves with the European project's uniqueness and ambitions.

The European Union is maybe in the future to be named the United States of Europe, suggested the president of the Convention on the Future of Europe, Valery Giscard d'Estaing on Wednesday, in a speech in the Belgium city of
    Bruges.
    Are you in favour of “The United States of Europe”?

I for one am not.

If this is their aim - Why can't the eurocrats be honest?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Kim Tae-Woo

Never How about the "European IROn Cirtain"

or the

ECCP

or the Bush/Blair Monarchy of Europe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

How about a little less of the right-on flip left-wing cynicism. This is'nt even worth a thread.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

I think that it is an important tread. We might in a few years be going around with United states of Europe passports.

It is a little Grotesque & unbelievable but VALÉRY GISCARD d'ESTAING, President of the Convention on the Future of Europe seems to be thinking that way.

We can brush it under the carpet............maybe it will go away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

...and maybe its an ex-French president flying a kite, musing outloud. Its not important.

Hell I'm pissed-off!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=65960

I'm gonna report him!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

Mike is right.
    The name will remain EU from now on as far as I can see. Its just translating French into English and it comes out sort of like "United States of Europe" wen they talk of more integration.

I for a Federal Europe. But the name EU is grand...

• Advertisement

The Convention is at the moment working on a new European treaty that might lead to a European constitution, but now the former French president also wants to discuss the name of the Union

It has nothing to do with translating French into English.

I am aganist any furher surrender of Irish soverienty to unaccountable institutions. Have we learnt anything from the Act Of Union?

bUT i SURPOSE - MANY POST CONONIAL COUNTRIES HAVE LOW SELF ESTEAM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

Originally posted by Cork
    I am aganist any furher surrender of Irish soverienty to unaccountable institutions. Have we learnt anything from the Act Of Union?
    This is nothing to do with sovereignty. It's just a simple name change. A rose by any other name...
    I think that it is an important tread. We might in a few years be going around with United states of Europe passports.
    Just like our current passports have "European Union" on the front of them, you mean?
    bUT i SURPOSE - MANY POST CONONIAL COUNTRIES HAVE LOW SELF ESTEAM.
    What does that have to do with anything?

When we build the euro - and with what a success - when we advance on the European defence, with difficulties but with considerable progress, when we
    build a European arrest-warrant,when we move towards creating a European prosecutor, we are building something deeply federal, or a true union of states. . . The Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European Union must become a charter of rights that is applicable and effective... I wish this Constitution to be the Constitution of a rebuilt Union, able to reflect its social cohesion, deepen its political unity, express its power externally."

-M.Pierre Moscovici,French Minister for Europe, Le Monde,28 February 2002

What is the End game with the EU?
    Why are the eurocrats not telling us?
    Power is the end game and who will get it.

The EU is niether accountable or democratic. It is a sordid mess - rife with scandal and inaction. It is lucky that the US came in & helped them out in Bosnia.

There is nothing in the NICE treaty for Ireland.
    The Treaty of Nice is the necessary legal path to dividing the EU into whatformer Commission President Jacques Delors has called "A Union for the enlarged Europe and a Federation for the avant-garde."

The miscalled "enhanced cooperation" provisions of Nice open the necessary legal path to a two-class two-tier EU along these lines,under the hegemonyof the Big States, Germany and France in particular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

Originally posted by Cork
    What is the End game with the EU?
    That hasn't been decided yet. Some member states want to proceed to a full US-style federation, others would be satisfied with an economic union. Expect some important decisions to be made at the 2004 summit.
    Why are the eurocrats not telling us?
    Because they don't know yet. See above.
    The EU is niether accountable or democratic.
    But Nice makes it more accountable -- increases the powers of the Parliament, strengthens the Court of Auditors...
    It is a sordid mess - rife with scandal and inaction. It is lucky that the US came in & helped them out in Bosnia.
    First you complain that the EU has too much power, then you complain that it doesn't have enough power? Make up your mind...
    The miscalled "enhanced cooperation" provisions of Nice open the necessary legal path to a two-class two-tier EU along these lines,under the hegemonyof the Big States, Germany and France in particular.
    Here are the safeguards on "enhanced cooperation" contained in the treaty:
    Member States which intend to establish enhanced cooperation between themselves may make use
    of the institutions, procedures and mechanisms laid down by this Treaty and by the Treaty establishing
    the European Community provided that the proposed cooperation:
    (a) is aimed at furthering the objectives of the Union and of the Community, at protecting and
    serving their interests and at reinforcing their process of integration;
    (b) respects the said Treaties and the single institutional framework of the Union;
    (c) respects the acquis communautaire and the measures adopted under the other provisions of the
    said Treaties;
    (d) remains within the limits of the powers of the Union or of the Community and does not
    concern the areas which fall within the exclusive competence of the Community;
    (e) does not undermine the internal market as defined in Article 14(2) of the Treaty establishing the
    European Community, or the economic and social cohesion established in accordance with Title
    XVII of that Treaty;
    (f) does not constitute a barrier to or discrimination in trade between the Member States and does
    not distort competition between them;
    (g) involves a minimum of eight Member States;
    (h) respects the competences, rights and obligations of those Member States which do not
    participate therein;
    (i) does not affect the provisions of the Protocol integrating the Schengen acquis into the framework
    of the European Union;
    (j) is open to all the Member States, in accordance with Article 43b.í
    12. The following Articles shall be inserted:
    ëArticle 43a
    Enhanced cooperation may be undertaken only as a last resort, when it has been established within
    the Council that the objectives of such cooperation cannot be attained within a reasonable period
    by applying the relevant provisions of the Treaties.
    Article 43b
    When enhanced cooperation is being established, it shall be open to all Member States. It shall also
    be open to them at any time, in accordance with Articles 27e and 40b of this Treaty and with
    Article 11a of the Treaty establishing the European Community, subject to compliance with the
    basic decision and with the decisions taken within that framework. The Commission and the
    Member States participating in enhanced cooperation shall ensure that as many Member States
    as possible are encouraged to take part.
    It will not be possible to establish a two-tier Europe with these safeguards which Nice adds. In fact, Nice makes a two-tier Europe less likely. At the moment, "enhanced cooperation" in areas like Schengen and the Euro proceeds ad hoc, with none of the above safeguards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

Here are the safeguards on "enhanced cooperation" contained in the treaty:
    They fogot to add:
    (j) does not recognize the result of referendums carried out in smaller states unless its the right result! Duetchland uber alles! :)

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Originally posted by dathi1
    They fogot to add:
    (j) does not recognize the result of referendums carried out in smaller states unless its the right result! Duetchland uber alles! :)

Amen to that!
    www.no2nice.org

Advertisement