Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last night in Voodoo

Options
  • 05-10-2002 12:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭

The gig last night was pretty good. Oz lived up to the expectations I'd built up from hearing how good they are. Otranome were entertaining! (Richie needs the words in front of him for the next gig! :D

Here comes the rant...those fv<kin' Voodoo shots for 2 Eurons were definately not alcoholic. I know a few people who downed more than 15 (I downed 12) and they were still sober. I'm not happy about that. T'was a damn disgrace! I want me money back yiz b*****ds!
    What else...it's a nice place but the stage is a tad on the small side, isn't it. Very easy to get clouted with a guitar.
    Overall though it was an alright night.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Niall S.

Yup I wasn't drinking last night, but I did try a voodoo shot and it wasn't quite the fire swallowing liquid that I usually get when I order a shot.
    But then again I don't usually go for the shots myself, I have to say though the atmosphere I taught was electric.
    The bands were all good, and the crowd was excellent, I don't know if you stayed all night, but I was spinning some tunes for a while in the DJ set, Fintan was the first DJ then I went up for a while and then Fintan came back all in all I think that the DJ set alone was a mixture of some really class rawk tunes mixed with some up beat crowd pleasing tunes and the crowd seemed to like it.
    I think that the night was well worth a visit.

Niall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Sandi

I was there for a little while after Otranome finished. The toones that were spinned (the ones I heard) were good. Love Suds and Soda by dEUS! Don't think I was there for you're set.
    T'was definately a good night though...apart from the shots which I'm still bitter about...:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

oooh non alcoholic shots... the controversy
    another pub watering down their spirits, they're all at it, the bastards!

Drinks promotions are all well and good, but generally I don't usually trust them especially not shots, cause that kind of drink by its very nature, does not kick in straight away anyway, so even if it is the real thing you still need atleast 7 of them to get you plastered and it could be an hour before they kick in, so if they are not the genuine article you have already paid for and drank 8 shots before you realize that you have been dooped.
    When it comes to drink promotions if its a beer I will always just try it out, if it tastes like urine I won't try it again, but I don't touch shots cause they are to little for what you pay for, even if it is on promotional price.

Anyway I hope that didn't put you off going to any GigSmart nights in Voodoo again cause for a launch night I taught that it was pretty good and it can only get better, I am afraid that we have no say regarding what the bar man puts in your glass.

Niall.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

hehehehe! yeah the wonderful forum (not the word i was lookin for but it gets the job done) That is Live Line with Joe Duffy!!brought this terrible occurance to the nations attention yesterday sum woman rang up sayin that her vodka shots were just water and that the establishment (whih shall remain anonymous lets just call it the Glen Eagle) hasnt compensated her with the drink that she was supposed to hav gotten!! Anyway i would fill ye in lon the major details of the conversation between joe and said woman but cant remeber the names of her friends and grand kids whom she wanted to say hello to!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

It was great, all the bands were deadly, the club was the best, (had one of those shots myself thought it was definitely alcoholic though!). Got a taxi within 5 seconds of sticking my nose out the door, didn't have to go to that old persons pub on wexford street.

I wasn't put off going to Gigsmart gigs by the crap promotion u'll be glad to know...I'll know better next time not to drink the shots!
    Amz...what the hell are you on about?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

i had a greta night had to leave after otranome though cos the tiredness was setting on... i thought all the bands were really good and was well impressed by violent sky all considering...

the shot thing feckin wrecked my head... i had 2 pints before i started on the shots then went about the process of doing 16 shots in about 30 mins(had to go to the bank machine) and i honestly was more pissed b4 i started doing them i think they actually kinda sobered me up or something... either way after doing 16 shots i should have been on my ear and i certainly wasnt i was judge like leaving so i am awfully annoyed bout that, wasted 40 quid on those bastárds!

sweet gig all the same, i'm sure the club was pretty cool too.

mick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Achille

its a ring toss game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 velma

I had those shots and they really did just taste like orange juice. We should complain to the establishment! Gig was good though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭lamda

Ah twas indeed a good night... i really like the place... very comfy sofas which is always good. Wasnt really paying attention to the bands to be honest cos I was nowhere near the stage.. but I have to say the first band (whoever they were) need to be congratulated for the Jefferson Airplane cover... luv that song. And Sandi... so much for drinking all that water to counteract the shots.. little did you know you were being duped!! Damn the man!!!:D

I wasn't really drinking water to counteract booze. I was just thirsty and no amount of alcohol was gonna fix it and I refuse to pay several Euro for a soft drink so water it was! And I only had a few mouthfuls...ah well...we'll know to avoid those sort of drinks promos next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

Originally posted by Amz
    That is Live Line with Joe Duffy!!brought this terrible occurance to the nations attention yesterday sum woman rang up sayin that her vodka shots were just water

was she from clontarf?????
    *har har*
    i LOVE apres match

my favourite is this poem:

MELON FOOT

"vegetable shop.......
    ........or should i say vegetable shop and half the ****ing street"

*teehee*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

I think I'll try for some beer promo if next week is as well attended. Anyone got any comments on the DJ-ing? (He's so sorry for ****ing up Muse but SOMEBODY used MY copy of showbiz as a coaster and you know the rest.)

Here's my summation of the gig as it appeared on good old www.gigsmartireland.com
    All the bands got €100 for the gig on Friday. 4 bands got to showcase their talents to people who previously have not seen them in the best of conditions thus possibly expanding their future crowd beyond the usual friends/relatives circles.

Everyone partied hard to the best of tunes way into the next morning. Everyone got a taxi home within 20 seconds of sticking their nose out the door of the venue. Some people won free drink (congrats Eve and Aspro, party animal extrordinaire!)

One of our own was the DJ and is getting a wage to do so thus keeping him in college (or in funds for drink in college, first person to get a job from gigsmart?!).

This to me has been the epitomy of what gigsmart is about and is possibly the biggest success relative to our ideology. Lets keep this going. Come to the gigs, make the club your night out and then you truly are a gigsmartian and deserve all the benefits thereof.

Thomas "I'm so ****ing proud of you all" Brunkard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭rapture_queen

Great nite the other nite!!!!

Im so glad i didnt buy those shots now!!

Well impressed with Violent Sky esp cause it was there first gig
    -BLESS THEIR LITTLE COTTON SOCKS!!!

Even though i was there can someone tell me whether Little Ghetto Boys played?
    God they have to be the funniest band ever!!!
    dont like their music but very funny in a stop dripping sweat all over me way esp when u stand on the stool in front of me!

My responce to the DJ ing is that I rawk, I had Chris's Copy of Showbiz by Muse and could have given it a spin, after finding that Fintan's copy was mush, and seeing that there was such a big demand for it, but unfortunately seen as I think that Matt Bellamy albeit being a maestro on the guitar and having some very original harmony and melody idea's, I still think that he sounds like a gay angel who's just been kicked in the nuts.
    But that is just me, I think that Muse would be a brialliant band if the vocal style was different but until that day, I just can't bring myself to play them.

Sorry bout that.

Niall.

By the way, Tom d'ya think that Erdinger might be interested in doing some kind of promo in Voodoo, Erdinger is a quality beer and you can never go wrong with beer, even if you don't like the beer atleast you know after buying one of them that its a big pile of poo.
    Maybe our contact in Erdinger could do something for us, I would call him myself, only I don't know his name, or come to think of it I don't know his number either, and there is always the point that I never met him and he'd think that I am a pshyco for calling him up like I'm his best buddy.

Niall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Wools

Rapture_Queen - check your PM's there, cheers

Woolbag

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

what did the pm say??????? what did it say????
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Kurdt

...if only i remembered rapture_queens password...hmmmm...

• Advertisement
Advertisement