Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win2k/XP Repair Installation

• 05-10-2002 2:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭

Hey..
    i cant remember performing a win2k/xp repair installation.
    does it just do an "overlay" installation like in win9x?

i remember trying one before and it prompting me for a Emergency Repair Disk which i dont have?

Does a repair installation reset the registry or
    import it ontop of a clean install?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

The last two times I've tried a repair its failed miserably to fix the computer... that was on NT4 and 2000 (of course I didn't have the required disk either).

In the NT case it made the system completly unstable (what was a corrupted tcp/ip stack became the whole computer ****ed)... in 2000 it just failed to solve the original problem at all... both times required a wipe/reinstall (and yes I did make the required disk the next time).

On the registry bit: I know it leaves additonal entries alone, I don't however if it reverts the standard keys to defaults.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

ya gerry was telling me similar things..
    i was reading msft's explanation of what goes on during a repair installation and its not what im looking for..
    i found an alternative but expensive application
    from those geniuses at systems internal.

i'll tell u how i get on with it..

Advertisement