Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting files from one PC to another

• 05-10-2002 4:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Can anyone tell me how I can copy files from one PC to another. I have them connected using a serial lead. I don't have network cards in either and I need to copy approx 7Gb.

Any help will be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Acidflash

go to start -> programs -> accessories -> communications -> direct cable connection. This will guide you through the process of setting up the connection.

7Gb is going to take a very very long time to copy using a serial cable.Yuo'd be better off to get two n/w cards and some crossover cable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

To give you a rough idea, its going to be a bit more than twice as fast as downloading 7 gigs from the internet over a 56k modem, which means its awfully slow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

for something that large don't bother with a serial cable..

the easiest, quickest (and cheapest) option is simply to take the hard drive out of one of source machine and chuck it in the destination machine.. there should be no problems or hassle involved at all bar a bit of unscrewing and plugging of cables.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Thanks for that. I have managed to get the two computers connected using the LPT1 ports on each (parallel - I think). It is reporting a 4mbs link.

However I can't see the folder from the host machine, or for that matter any mention of the machine other that the little icon saying connected.

The guest machine is running XP and the host is running 98.

I have shared the folders that I want to copy accross.

Have I forgotton something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Yeah you've forgotten to do what I said :)
    Direct cable connect never works properly unless the two machines are the exact same version of Windows, it's probably the most annoying windows program I've ever attempted to use... save yourself a lot of hassle... you would have it copied by now and the hard disks back in their respective machines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Thanks. Used a few RW CD's to transfer the files accross. Tried moving a Hard Disk before with disasterous results so best not to tempt fate again :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭shakel

For future reference...

If anybody is trying to do this again, watch out for a couple of things:

Check if the LPT port is set as bi-directional (EPP i think), it can be changed in the BIOS

Make sure File and Print sharing is set up on both OS's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

i woulda went for the hard drive swap meself..

Advertisement