Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

amd xp or p4 ?

• 05-10-2002 6:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭

Gonna get one of the above a 2gig lets say and its gonna be on a ddr setup,geforce 3...wont wanna be overclocking either so has anyone ideas on which would be the best? so far ive seen the amd coming out with the thumbs up!
    thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

You can only get an AMD to 2200 so if you want to go higher you will have to get a P4. Altho the AMD tends to be a good bit cheaper, also the performance of both are very similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭marauder

Buy or Build?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

I bought a amd xp 2000+ from komplett when they were on special for 115 yoyo's.it actually runs @ 1.66 ghz but i managed to overcolck it to 1.807 ghz whitck iz ok i suppose ( without connecting L1 bridges )thats @ 145/34.With the voltage @ 1.80 it runs @ 34-35C when idle and bout 39-40 when under a load ( with a coolermaster HHC-001 v.loud ) And on an abit kt7a ver 1.3 mobo.

COMBATCOW >:^)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Chaos

gonna build it....so xp2000 or p4 2gig?:] think ill go with the xp chip from what ive seen so far!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

The XP setup is cheaper than a p4 .
    Personally i find that Intel are slightly more stable but not worth it for the extra dosh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Mutz

Originally posted by BabyEater
    You can only get an AMD to 2200 so if you want to go higher you will have to get a P4. Altho the AMD tends to be a good bit cheaper, also the performance of both are very similar.

Actually, I'm Buying the AMD Athlon XP2400+ at the End of this Month and its Running at 2GHZ. Its Pricey at €260, but sure Feck it. Also the XP2600+ is out too

There is very few of those 2400's about and even fewer 2600's thats why i said 2200 was the highest AMD chip . Where are you going to buy your chip as i don't know anywhere selling them ,except in America

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Kensai

Originally posted by BabyEater
    There is very few of those 2400's about and even fewer 2600's thats why i said 2200 was the highest AMD chip .
    That's also why you're wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

Originally posted by Kensai

what are you talking about?

you got my hopes up so off i went to komplett to see how much they where. to my surprise there where none there until
    Maybe
    2002-10-31

so it seems that babyeater was right and perhaps that you are wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

By the end of this month, I'd say the p4 2.4 will cost the same or less than that chip. Where are you buying from mutz?

Kensai, how about backing up your points. From what I've seen, babyeater is 100% right, but of course theres always the blind zealotry of those getting caught up in "STICKING IT TO THE MAN" and generally rooting for the underdog, though the "underdog" happens to be a massive corporation!!!!

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Gerry
    Kensai, how about backing up your points. From what I've seen, babyeater is 100% right, but of course theres always the blind zealotry of those getting caught up in "STICKING IT TO THE MAN" and generally rooting for the underdog, though the "underdog" happens to be a massive corporation!!!!
    What are you ****ting about?
    why i said 2200 was the highest AMD chip .

Kensai , what is wrong with
    why i said 2200 was the highest AMD chip
    as it is the highest AMD chip available here. I cant walk down to me local computer store and get one , i don't think anywhere in Ireland has them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Chaos

less of the handbags there guys...thanks for all your info folks! think ill risk it n see what happens :]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

fúck the local computer store, in my experience most of them are insanely overpriced and have shít-all products available.

It is generally far cheaper to order computer components online than to buy them locally in Ireland.

What are you ****ting about?

How about you try and back up your points?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

the point is stephen, that they don't appear to be for sale even online.

if the mighty komplett doesn't have them then in my opinion they are not readily available.

i want proof that they are available. just post the url and i will be happy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Athlon XP 2200+ 1.8Ghz SoA
    Mfr code: AXDA2200KV3C
    Quicklinx: 21X3WS
    35 now
    146 1-3 days £116.00
    £136.29
    Athlon XP 1700+ 1.47Ghz SoA Boxed inc Heatsink/Fan
    Mfr code: ADUAX1700BOX
    Quicklinx: 15HXWS
    6 now
    176 1-3 days £57.00
    £66.97
    AthlonXP 2600+ 2.13Ghz SoA Box
    Mfr code: AXDA2600BOX
    Quicklinx: 2575WS
    Long Lead Time Expected £230.00
    £270.25
    Athlon XP 2100+ 1.73GHz SoA
    Mfr code: ADUAX2100DMT3C
    Quicklinx: 21DBWS
    25 now
    100 1-3 days £91.00
    £106.92
    Athlon XP 2600+ 2.13Ghz SoA
    Mfr code: AXDA2600KV3C
    Quicklinx: 2573WS
    Long Lead Time Expected £229.00
    £269.07
    AthlonXP 2400+ 2.06Ghz SoA Box
    Mfr code: AXDA2400BOX
    Quicklinx: 2574WS
    Long Lead Time Expected £147.00
    £172.72

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

From what I've read over at hardocp the 2400+, 2600+ and the 2800 have only been paper releases. while some are floting about, they aren't shiping them as a standerd. I have a 2200+ Tbrd A core my-self. on a KR7A 133R. 150x12.5 I crossed the L3 briges to unlock the multiplier as its 13.5 by default (to high for my motherboard) Its working nice and stable for me. temps are off as I run my server in the room as well (K7 classic 700MHz) which heats up the room. I'm using a SK-800 with a 80mm fan from maplin (not the best) they are grand as case fans, but dont push enough air for a CPU fan. I can get it running at 1.900Gz stable, but after that something in my system doesn't like the high bus speed, I think its the WinTV card or the High Point controler. All in all. its a good chip, and well worth te buy. The B cores are even better. They use less voltes 1.6 I beleave, where mine uses 1.65. The B core also runs cooler as a result of this and is more stable at higher clocks as of a new way they are made. Make sure you get one, if you get a A core now adays, I think you can get it replaced as a B core on the grounds that its not the qulity you want or that its a replaced core.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,802 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

what method did u use for crossing the bridges, and whats the way of telling A cores from b cores (I saw a while ago, but can't remember it :))

have a 2200+ coming in the morning :)

I used a condutive pen I got from radionics.ie (micro tip) cost me €34 in all including delivery next day. I crossed bridges L3 1, 3, 5 some people say just 5 needs to be done. but it didn't work for me had to do all 3. hmmm, as for knowing which is which, you'll need to do some searching on the net. I dont remember the coding for them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

A few (and I do mean a few) US stores have a very limited quantity of the 2400 chips available. None in Europe as far as I know at all.

The 2600 won't be out until later this month either. This is AMD and their new super paper launch idea. The 2800+ specs are here to make us drool, but we won't be able to buy it for a long long LONG time.

By the end of this month, I'd say the p4 2.4 will cost the same or less than that chip. Where are you buying from mutz?

Sorry bout not replying Gerry, Yeah, I was going to Order one off Komplett as i saw the "Maybe 31/10/02", but I emailed them asking could they speed up the order due to the amount od money I'm giving them, but to no joy.

Ah well, I Might Opt for the XP2200 Thoroghbred, but In reviews I've seen that the O/c'ing potential isnt the best, and I sort of wanted to have a processor that would be able to keep up with the new Pentiums.

Ok I took some screen shots of bench markes done on Sisoft sandra 2002 plus.

CPU_Arithmetic.jpg

Memory.jpg

Multi_Media.jpg

wcpuid.jpg

The system board is a Abit KR7A 133R (RAID)
    512 megs DDR
    Cas2
    FSB 150MHz as showen in the last screen shot.
    As you can see from the last screen shot the CPU is running close to its default speed at the time of the benchmarks.

Can You Do a comparison between the:

- p4 2ghz v. the XP2000
    - p4 2,2ghz v the XP2200

etc... see how they fair out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭marauder

P4 2.4Ghz @ Komplett.ie

and OC to 2.8 ;)

Sure if someone wants to post the screen shots of their P4 2200 up there would be no problem, even a P4 2400.

Thing to remember about my system is that its running at 150MHz or 300MHz DDR, that means that it will be faster than a system with the same spec and CPU running at 133.

How about you try and back up your points?
    How about you dont write reams of bull**** because I said Babyeater was wrong?

2200 chip may be the highest available right now, isn't the highest chip though and that should be made quite clear.

Kensai, I think that Phil means that posting one line saying your wrong proves nothing. If you post some pages that back up this post or a quote, then it would be ok. but that above is a waste of harddrive space

How about you dont write reams of bull**** because I said Babyeater was wrong?

2200 chip may be the highest available right now, isn't the highest chip though and that should be made quite clear.

I'm not writing realms of bull****, I've given you plenty of time to back up your points, and finally you have come out with one line, begrudgingly. Its a start though, perhaps eventually you will manage an entire paragraph. Keep up the good work.

• Advertisement

I'm not writing realms of bull****
    but of course theres always the blind zealotry of those getting caught up in "STICKING IT TO THE MAN" and generally rooting for the underdog, though the "underdog" happens to be a massive corporation!!!!
    Good game.

Advertisement