Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ACPI = teh pants

• 05-10-2002 10:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭

I've just been wrestling with a stupid soundcard problem for the last two days, and once again, the problem has been ACPI.

ACPI = the muck encrusted filth-pants of a wino on o'connell st

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭Spunj

Hehe, tEh pants.

Heres a quick tip when installing 2k/xp to switch it off.
    When you are at the start of setup where it says
    'Press F6 now to install 3rd party/RAID drivers...' press F7 (yeah F7).
    Windows will now not install any ACPI support. I've had some probs with setup crashing unless I do this :(

Also I think you can remove it from w2k (I know for sure you can't go from Non ACPI to ACPI like this). In device manager right click on the top node for the PC (something like ACPI Compliant PC) and choose properties/Update driver. Show all hardware, choose 'Standard PC'. Should remove ACPI. Has worked for me in the past but your mileage may vary. :)

Spunj

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

Also I think you can remove it from w2k (I know for sure you can't go from Non ACPI to ACPI like this). In device manager right click on the top node for the PC (something like ACPI Compliant PC) and choose properties/Update driver. Show all hardware, choose 'Standard PC'. Should remove ACPI. Has worked for me in the past but your mileage may vary.

That's exactly what I did :) ACPI sucks :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Anandtech.com have an FAQ regarding safely removing ACPI from Win2k.
    Might be worth a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭Drazhar

OK, Why is ACPI so bad, i read a few of those FAQ's on the above site, and the feeling i got from them was that the non-uniformity of BIOS APM was bad. Everyone had a different way of doing the same thing, which is always bad.

Now agreed, anything that MS have to do with hardware cannot be good. the only thing they know about hardware is that it was something vaguely to do with their profit margins in computer software.

Also, do certain cards/devices require that ACPI be present? i saw that APM didnt recognise USB devices and teh like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

I'm not sure of the exact details of why it's such a rat infested pos but people forewarned me and I never installed the over inflated pile of junk on any system I set up afterwards.

I had some problems on numerous machines and a big solution provider was to re-install with acpi disabled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

The reasion its so pants is that it uses an IRQ (9) some things try to use this IRQ at the same time.... anything on PCI slot 3 I think. The best way is to turn it off in the BIOS (get a moded bios for athlon systems) then install the OS again, this time by default the system wont use ACPI

hey presto... no more suckyness ever again

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Would this ACPI affect USB or Parallel ports too (see my uSB thread)?

And would everything still work (eg PCI cards) if I remove it?

This may explain why my DVB card would ONLY work in bottom PCI slot and none of the others

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Originally posted by sutty
    The reasion its so pants is that it uses an IRQ (9) some things try to use this IRQ at the same time.... anything on PCI slot 3 I think. The best way is to turn it off in the BIOS (get a moded bios for athlon systems) then install the OS again, this time by default the system wont use ACPI

hey presto... no more suckyness ever again

You should possibly read up on acpi. The only thing you are right about is that acpi doesn't always work correctly. ACPI hides all the irq's from the operating system, and problems usually arise when the machines bios does not implement it correctly. The physical interrupt lines ( usually 4 ) do not get suddenly fused into one, devices still have their own interrupt, but this is sometimes not apparent to the operating system, and confusion abounds.

The IRQ that is presented to the system will vary from machine to machine, and irq 9 is not assigned to the same slot on every machine. If acpi is off, you should be able to change irq assignments in the bios, but you won't be able to change decisions that the motherboard designers made, like ( for example ) slot 2 and 4 sharing irq's, or perhaps slot 5 not being busmastering.

Phil if you look at what I was saying again you will see that what I mean is that. If you put a sound card in, it could endup using the same IRQ as ACPI. Which for some reson ACPI doesn't like. As for the PCI slot it shares with. I gave 3 as an example, if you look at your motherboard manul it will have a table of what IRQ shares with what and what PCI slot uses what IRQ by defult. I also never said anything about "all" the IRQ's fuseing into one... before you decide to take my posts apart please make sure you've read them right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

The irq's acpi reports are not the real irq's, and since acpi is going to allocate all the irq's, I don't understand how only one device is going to be "sharing" with acpi.

• Advertisement

Phil in the bios when you have ACPI turned on there, it reports ACPI using IRQ9 or so at the device post. I'm not talking about the OS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

ACPI can u use IRQ 9 /11..
    ACPI isnt as bad as ye make it out to be be..
    The method where it translates many pci devices via this irq is called irq steering also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

ACPI sucks, it completely fux0red my Audigy :(

Apparently theres this big ****up beetween ABIT-KR7A motherboards and Audigys, but anyway..my Card worked grand for the first week or too, but I one day for some reason it started giving all these problems up.

I did a little digging up on the problem, and found out its a problem with ACPI actually flashing the SB card's firmware and corrupting it so its missing all but the most basic features..I cant even update my drivers :mad:

Neither Abit nor Creative Labs want to take responsibility for the problem, so neither will do a fix for it (a simple firmware flash should do it), and I cant get my card replaced because the same thing will happen again eventually.

For all those having trouble, disabling it at the Bios isnt enough, you actually have to reinstall Windows and choose to not install ACPI on startup, afaik. Might just be Windows XP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭Drazhar

son of a b1tch, i made a thread about my Audigy going wonky. I have the KR7a-RAID, and it tells me if i try to set up the creative software that the card aint present. So ACPI is the problem here eh??

So the solution as far as you can see Kairo, is reinstall without ACPI??

Where did you find this out??

Why didnt the rest ouf you know??;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

I have a KT7a and I was having problems with my soundblaster too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

More info here

Disabling ACPI wont fix your card Draz..Tho if you were to install a new Audigy, it would prevent it from being fried like the previous one.

Its way too late for me to get mine replaced. Worst think Is I cant run any Dos games with sound..for some reason it eats up CPU whenever sound is present. I get a solid 5 fps in doom with sound turned on..AND NO MIDI MUSIC!! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I was having some nasty BSOD problems earlier this week(IRQ not less or equal.........) every time switched the PC off,

So i tried this ACPI switching to standard PC mode, using XP Pro and all is fine now.

:D

since ye are all killing ACPI :-)
    Apparently u get better games performance in windowsxp when its not controlling ur hardware interface..
    that is ur using standard pc

but tbh i think acpi rocks..
    despite its problems !

Im getting a 400 points difference in 3dmark now, i`m not sure how that happened tbh, but whatever the reason, i`m well happy

With ACPI - 2064

Without ACPI - 2438

Identical test and drivers, using a Radeon 7000(fsc), both tests where clocked at 178/200

i might do a test actually..
    my HAL is completely ****ed because..
    i had win2k running on intel p3 setup then upgraded to
    Athlon XP 1800
    and used same windows install..

Windows didnt blue screen since hardware change but
    anytype of hardware change and BSOD..

does ACPI to standard PC reset HAL?

I have read only way to reconfigure HAL is under a clean install of windows?

• Advertisement

when i rebooted(from changing to standard), XP begin to install all the drivers again

I then upgraded the gfx driver manually using the same driver i was using as well as other updated drivers(instaed of using Xp standard drivers)

Baz..

it was just reassigning IRQ assignments
    which it was taking from the BIOS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,802 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

i've had an abit: kt7, kt7a, kr7a, and now a kd7 all RAID, used all of them but the kd7, with both a sblive and audigy (only audigy on the kd7), on the first two I used win Me, and switched to XP after a while on the kt7a. I've had acpi enabled every time, and never even once have I ever experienced any problems with a sound card on these systems, not even small thing.

ya i think ACPI is getting killed from
    users experiences of a particular chipset and sound card!

Overall the benefits it brings
    with automatic irq assignment and allowing
    to add a hundred devices to the limited 16 irqs available
    to the processor is genius..

ACPI brought about true user friendly plug and play

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

if it works, normally it works first time, lovely

if it don't ouch, its a real hassle to fix.

plug n pray

M

maybe it was just having issues with my config, either way its working ok now, and with some performance improvement.

bazH ..
    no its not just ur configuration.

its been proven in benchmarks
    win2k/xp perform faster in gaming
    without acpi installed..

but these are usually gaming freaks
    who like the 5 extra fps :-)

Im finished talking about ACPI :-)

and im tired lol :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭saik

Motherboards are of a cack standard. Motherboard reviews are not much better.
    ACPI is cack.
    and nobody is really sure what it does.
    all i know is that, in some cases it boosts frame rates, it keeps your idle cpu temp lower , sometimes it allows you to stick ****eloads of pci cards in without conflicting..... but other times it drops frame rates, causes no end of hassle from conflicting irqs, makes quake3 input feel like ****e. i believe it is something to with microsoft. i've never found an article offering anything other than umms awws and maybes about it.

i think it is something intended for good , that went terribly terribly wrong

what would happend to pc's if they came with more interrupts?
    like instead of 16, there were 1024 or something.... i take it interrupts interrupt something.. maybe the cpu? would it be a move for good or bad...

acpi is nothing to do with microsoft!!!!!!!!!!!

it's an industry standard to allow faster "on now" access to pcs..
    i.e instant returning of pcs from power management..

this was done by allowing the device drivers full access to the motherboards..
    this initative came out in 98 and
    was first implemented in win98 se..

ACPI also supports hot plug and play pci slots..
    automatic irq reallocation..

http://www.itpapers.com/cgi/PSummaryIT.pl?paperid=11836&scid=273

go to microsoft.com and enter acpi in search bar

also theres a white paper on the acpi standard floating around.

• Advertisement

IRQs are interrupt lines that notify the cpu that it requires cpu time..

its not really practicle to have more then 16..
    and u cant access 6 or 7 of them in NT Architecture..
    there reserved

Advertisement