Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Here's hoping.........

• 06-10-2002 2:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭

That the worlds greatest derby match goes off without to much incident today!
    Im fired up thinking about it already:D
    But considering its the first OF game since the Lennon fiasco, the "tangerine" Rangers away strip and the Celtic cheif executive sending out letters to 53 thousand season ticket holders "asking" them to refrain from republican chants I must admit Im kinda nervouse..........
    Specailly seen as it getting beamed all over Britain and Ireland for the first time Id hate to see it turn in an "OF special"
    .............then again Im sure alot may tune in just to see "what will happen"
    :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

The world's greatest derby went off with plenty of incident today. And it wasn't a sectarian-ridden one in Glasgow either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Jake

Originally posted by Bateman
    The world's greatest derby went off with plenty of incident today. And it wasn't a sectarian-ridden one in Glasgow either.

Didnt think Real and Barca were playing today?
    :D
    For what its worth if ye had been willing to take your blinkers offf for a few hours this afternoon you would have seen one of the seasons great games but if you insisnt on depriving yourself thats your business!

Now if only Celtic had a keeper................
    :rolleyes:

You mean Rab Hopeless?
    Anyway, Sevilla Betis was another great derby on tonight, but I don't see many people talking about that, because its not hyped.
    One of the Sevilla fans attacked Prats, the Betis keeper, but having experiences Sevilla fans first hand, I can say they are mostly a sound bunch,even if they don't dress very well.
    :mad: :mad:

Its Rab DouglASS to his friends
    :)

Sutton would be a bigger ASS, he seems to score a lot of goals, but never any decent ones. Important and all as they may be, they are always toe pokes or something equally banal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

Eh Jake, Real v Barca is not actually a derby match, they are both from different cities!

Yeah but its known as "El Derby" in Spain, its a form of Spanish derby I suppose, but its not a real derby. Sevilla Betis seems to be more passionate, even of the football's not great (it never is in derbies, its usually entertainment thats a nightnare for the managers).

Originally posted by Waylander
    Eh Jake, Real v Barca is not actually a derby match, they are both from different cities!

I stand corrected :rolleyes:

Surely Man U and Man C would also fall into that category as although Man U play in Manchester apparenly none of their fans come from there!
    Mostly D4 and Scandinavian from what Iv been told
    ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Barcelona - Espanyol is the Catalan derby.
    Sort of an upper class vs lower class afair.
    Real/Barce is a derby in the way Liverpool/Man Utd is one.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Originally posted by Jake
    Surely Man U and Man C would also fall into that category as although Man U play in Manchester apparenly none of their fans come from there!
    Mostly D4 and Scandinavian from what Iv been told
    ;)
    How old is that? Honestly... From what I've seen and heard there are some places in Manchester called Salford, Sale etc. that are full of United fans.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

Where are yopu from Jake, and who do you support ?

Originally posted by Waylander
    Where are yopu from Jake, and who do you support ?

Wicklow (where men are men and sheep are nervous) and I support Glasgow Celtic fc.

Why would this info be important?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Last time I was in Manchester, I met a lot of Mancs who were Man U fans... *shrug*

oh... and would St. Pat's vs. Shelbourne not fall under your banner of great derbys or is it only foreign teams for you lot?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

you should underline apparently (apparenly in your case :D ) because as you obviously have not been this would shatter your point. United have a bucket load of supporters outside of Manc but to be honest most of them never go. When I go over esepcially mid week there are nothing but Manc, not unless people develope manc accents cause they support United! :p

Have a look around Anfield especially and you will find as many non scouser support, I am sure scouse fans can confirm this?

Barcelona - Espanyol is the Catalan derby.

Its a Barcelona city derby, apart from being a "Catalan derby", but Sevilla Betis seems to have the sheer passion and hatred of a real derby. BTW I don't think there are any class antagonisms automatically at the fore in the Barcelona city derby, apart from the obvious Big Club-Small Club feature.

Watch Man Utd fans when they play away for a demonstration of true Manc passion. Its probably true that City have MORE fans inside the city, but plenty of working class areas could be considered United territory. Old Trafford has been hijacked by day trippers, be they Irish, cockney, or Japanese, who are only there for a holiday and to see their heroes, rather than to see a decent game, and genuinely get behind the team. Working class United supporters who grew up only miles from the city, and supported the team all their lives simply cannot in may cases afford the tickets, or just get done by limited availability.

And Pats-Shels will never be the biggest Dublin derby, but it is getting there, more of a rivalry between the two clubs than the fans though, it seems to mean more to Dolan and Byrne than it does to either group of fans. Having said that, I think the Pats fans are taking it quite seriously and have displays planned.

Advertisement