Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funeral Songs

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭johnnynolegs

i think a really heavy song that would absolutely scare the pants off most people there..............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Kurdt

like fúcking hostile by pantera...

exactly or something from slipknot or something...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Cozpyro

The Stone Roses - I am the Resurection!!

that would be a good one................

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Sunny

I was also at a funeral the other day and kept thinking of 'Eternal Life' by Jeff Buckley.

Eternal life is now on my trail Got my red glitter coffin, man, just need one last nail While all these ugly gentleman play out their foolish games There's a flaming red horizon that screams our names And as your fantasies are broken in two Did you really think this bloody road would Pave the way for you? You better turn around and blow your kiss hello to life eternal, angel Racist everyman, what have you done? Man, you've made a killer of your unborn son... Crown my fear your king at the point of a gun All I want to do is love everyone... And as your fantasies are broken in two Did you really think this bloody road would Pave the way for you? You better turn around and blow your kiss hello to life eternal, angel There's no time for hatred, only questions What is love, where happiness, what is life, where is peace? When will I find the strength to bring me release? And tell me where is the love in what your prophet has said? Man, it sounds to me just like a prison for the walking dead And I've got a message for you and you and your twisted hell You better turn around and blow your kiss goodbye to life eternal, angel...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭Tom182

I'm not sure how this will sound....but.....
    My Dad died back in April,and he had always wanted summer of 69...so as it goes everyones in tears when he is lowered..and next of all Bryan Adams comes on.....well if I didn't nearly piss meself laughing,and when I started,my sisters started......even when we got back to the pub we couldn't figure out why the laughing had started......very strange feeling.I just think the whole lot of us were completely cried out by the time the funeral came around,and we could do nothing more....

To be honest,I certainly wouldn't want anyone balling their eyes out at mine,but unfortunately you can't tell people how to feel at these things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 butterflywings

my funeral's going2 be great... lots of people sitting round saying **** like, 'hey, remeber the time she fell out of her shoes in the middle of parnell square?' but as for the music, i was thinkin of this the other day in school (**** so dull twould make anyone think of the auld end of existance), and my list (as yet) goes as follows:
    red chord-frames
    star,star-frames
    cold water-damien rice
    amie-damien rice
    round here-counting crows
    alleluia-jeff buckley
    tonight, tonight-smashing pumpkins
    a long december-counting crows
    be not afraid (it's that cool hymn about raging waters and not being afraid!)

and then, at the and of the funeral, all these songs will be compiled into a fabulous album, which will be called..... flown maybe? That's harder than the funeral songs itself thing.....
    and everyone would hav 2buy it or they wouldn't be allowed to leave the church, so my family would be rich, rich as nazis by the end of it......

on a slightly different note but in a kinda on the same track way, what songs would be on the soundtrack to your life ( so not2depressing... unless ur life has been depressing, in which case fire away!!)

mine'd probly hav2include (though these are by no means all!)
    drops of jupiter-train
    revelate-frames
    bullet with butterfly wings-pumpkins
    arthur robinson and his cadillac dreams-crows
    walk on-u2 (i know, i know, somebody get the shotgun, but i like that song)
    another year over-turn
    heavenly day/sunburst-picturehouse (1of them but not both!)
    make a killing-aimee mann
    the man who sold the world-nirvana
    minority-greenday
    fitzcarraldo-frames

there will be more...right now I can't think.
    toodles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭metalish

ok, on the soundtrack to my life i would have to put

the frames- plateau
    smashing pumpkins- Love
    damien rice- the blower's daughter
    metallica- my friend of misery
    greenday- waiting
    foo fighters- everlong
    the frames- lay me down
    nirvana- the man who sold the world
    damien rice- amiee
    smashing pumpkins- mellon collie and the infinite saddness
    soundgarden- black hole sun

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I dunno, I think I want 'Sing me to sleep' by the Smiths......or maybe 'truth' by turn......or the other one...um...can't think of the name right now....'Isn't it easier this time' is the line from it anyway...

We wanted 'The Dance' by garth Brooks at my sister's, the lyrics really suited, but the priestie boys wouldn't let us have it, but the guy singing did a really deadly accoustic version during the communion anyway, and the priestie boy kept clearing his throat really loudly into the mike....***** ******. It was really sad. We wanted to have this really nice lady sing 'You'll never walk alone' as well cos me sister was a 'Pool supporter, but no dice there either....

I'm definitely not going to get the songs I want so......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Redhead

I heard "Walk on" by U2 at a funeral and it was the saddest thing ever. Me, I'd go with Halo Day by Mick Christopher or maybe "Say hello, Wave Goodbye" by Marc Almond to camp things up a bit !

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

The theme tune to the old BBC sitcom 'Bread'

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Actually, I just want Johnny Pyro to play in the pub after my funeral. I'll just be really annoyed that I won't be there. But hey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Keithaburke

A lot of music by Ennio Morricone. Fantastic music.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'm not sure about during the funeral, but at the end, just as everyone's leaving and standing up to leave I want Lot 105 by Blur played.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

I'd love to have Unbeliver by Therapy? played at mine.............but the thing is what ever song you pick will remind those at the funeral of your death every time they hear it.........example Guns N Roses starts playing in Brux or whereever and my friend always bails in tears...........

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭kranog

About a year ago I had a funeral to attend, nobody likes funerals but this one particularly affected me as it was my nephews funeral. My brother (my nephews father) came up to me and asked if I could sing at the service. I was greif-striken enough but I couldn't imagine how he felt, so of course, I told him I would.
    He asked me to sing the song "Iris" by the Goo Goo Dolls. I always loved that song but I never realised how appropreiate the lyrics were for the occasion. I sang the song trying my hardest not to break down crying, though everyone else was.....I haven't really been able to listen to that song since !!!
    Peace,
    kranog

http://popstar.2ya.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭crow

God Gave Rock and Roll to You by KISS, and i want my hearse to have some kind of jingle as it drives a-la mr. whippy.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭kranog

As regards my own funeral....I'd like "And so it goes" by Billy Joel played at it !!!
    Sums me up perfectly !!!
    Peace,
    kranog

http://popstar.2ya.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Wools

Mate of mine did himself in a while back - he was a big U2 fan, so a girl got up and played "Sunday Bloody Sunday" on a harp.

It was pretty amazing....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

I sujested buckey and the smiths earlier on. but now im thinking of a really stupid one to freak everyone out like "kyle's mom's a bitch" by eric cartman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭shay

get's my vote.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Cherry

I suggested Morcheeba ages ago but that selection looks really farty now. I'd love:

Jeff Buckley -- Grace (lovely, poignant lyrics)
    Jay Gordon -- Slept So Long (2 fingers up at my parents)
    Kidneythieves -- Before I'm Dead (a last goodbye to my ex)
    Ryan Adams -- Sylvia Plath (just to verify that my funeral will have the best soundtrack ever)
    R.E.M -- The Great Beyond (for it's perfect title)
    The Avalances -- Since I Left You (another 2 fingers up, since it's my mums favourite song)
    The Frames -- Lay Me Down (perfection)
    The Smiths -- I Am The Sun (I'm watching youuuuuu..)

Then Ich Will by Rammstein played REALLY loud just to piss my parents off one last time.. Heheheheh.

Radiohead - Pyramid Song

Advertisement