Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are the MOBO awards racist?

Options
  • 06-10-2002 4:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭

It’s an established fact that Rock N Roll has it’s roots in Black R’N’B during the 1940’s. If so then why aren’t the MOBO (Music of Black Origin) awards honouring the best in RNR these days as they do for other genre's such as hip-hop, reggae and garage?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Would their be an outcry if there was a MOWO? No "Black Origins" allowed? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭The Gopher

Because black influenced rock and roll performed by white artists sort of went out during the end of the Elvis era.Really the only person from that era still doing that style that I can think of is James Brown.Rock these days doesnt really have its roots in black music.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

No - how is it racist? The term racism indicates someone has been discriminated by their ethnic origin.

It's Music of Black ORIGIN awards. Not the "No Whites Allowed in" Music Awards. Why can't people celebrate genres of music that had their roots in black music? Next you'll be saying the Kerrang! awards are "racist" because Atomic Kitten aren't invited

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭The Gopher

For the record The Streets,Eminem,Sugababes,Oxide and Neutrino,So Solid Crew and Tim Westwood,all white artists or DJs or groups with some white members,were nominated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Originally posted by BuffyBot
    No - how is it racist? The term racism indicates someone has been discriminated by their ethnic origin. [snip] Next you'll be saying the Kerrang! awards are "racist" because Atomic Kitten aren't invited

I knew they were a race of their own :D

Mind you I wouldn't be surprised if they did appear at next years award seeing the cack that was there this year :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by The Gopher
    Because black influenced rock and roll performed by white artists sort of went out during the end of the Elvis era.Really the only person from that era still doing that style that I can think of is James Brown.Rock these days doesnt really have its roots in black music.

Guns n roses, Aerosmith, Rolling stones (in chronological order of influence/plagerism). Theyre all still going, theyre all still playing music very heavily influenced by blues.

Advertisement