Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enter pages

Options
  • 06-10-2002 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

Is there any reason to have a "Click to enter" page on your site?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Cr8or

I supose its kinda like the front page of a news paper (they are trying to put an image across ... or something like that .... )

they have no real use but as i said i guess its all about image ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Totally pointless in most cases, but since theyre usually quick-loading, it doesn't bother me much.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭peterd

branding? eg. www.champion.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

They are pointless, nothing like a front page on a newspaper (they have a purpose)

It's just a way of using flash in the wrong way and helps the whole "Flash smells" argument :rolleyes: (Which it does)

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Cr8or

its all to do with branding i guess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Originally posted by damnyanks
    They are pointless, nothing like a front page on a newspaper (they have a purpose)

It's just a way of using flash in the wrong way and helps the whole "Flash smells" argument :rolleyes: (Which it does)

true true..........

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭whiteshadow

a lot of sites use the 'SPLASH' page for detecting plugins you can test for quicktime / flash or whatever in javascript or server side languages and send users to different locations depending on what.

also if you want to have 2 sites, one for flash and one for html so as not to enforce one on all your visiters.

Some sites use this as the homepage and have a lot of meta tags, many links and keywords planted all over them. I don't really know if there's a need for that..

but dont bother unless its gonna be multimedia heavy.
    they're a bit of a no-go

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Or in other cases the client may insist on having one... in which case you've got to agree!

Advertisement