Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overtime/Time off in lieu

• 06-10-2002 4:52pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Where I work, we don't get overtime and will rarely get time off in lieu (infact I've only ever gotten an hour of time back!).

I'm just curious does anyone know if there are any specific laws governing this in Ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Overtime is probably in your contract, I don't think there is a law about that. If you don't get paid for it - don't do it!

time in lieu? is that holidays? If so we are entitled by law to 25 days or so, can't remember.

Oh I see what you mean... check this link out...

link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

if you dont arrange it, or it is not in your contract, then you re not entitled to anything.
    in other words, you can work and extra 50 hours a a week, and they dont have to pay you for it.
    of course, if you agree it, then they do have to pay it.
    its nice tohave therse things in writing too.

days in leiu si at the discretion of the employer.
    its usually the way people are paid instead of havig to fork out for overtime by scabby employees, or people who need to take extra days of.
    again, if its not said or writen, then you dont get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Don't work overtime if you're not getting paid. Simple as that.
    As long as people work free overtime employers will expect it from their staff. And that's just not fair on people who can't.

I used to do it thinking I would eventually be rewarded. Nowadays I'm out the gap at 4:00/5:30 depending on what time I start. Life's too short to be wasting away in a cube.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭BioHazRd

I don't know about your specifics, so some of the following may not apply:

Some small companies work on very small margins, so wage bills are quite important from a costing point of view. Also, in these circumstances where there are not too many employees capable of doing a particular job, time in lieu is not too easy to obtain.

If your employer works to deadlines, try to indicate how important your extra work is, in meeting these deadlines. This can possibly be rewarded by Bonus payments (they often get benefits from meeting deadlines) or something similar - there are quite a few "tax efficient" ways of doing this, both from the employers and employees point of view.

Is working from home an option for you - any equipment supplied to you by your employer for this purpose is not liable to benefit in kind taxation.

There are many ways of benefiting from extra work other than time off or overtime, but it all comes down to "Do I enjoy what I am doing, and where I am doing it?" If the answer to any of these is "No" - start shopping around - you are too valuable an assett to yourself to be stagnating and saying "what if...."

Bio

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

we don't get overtime and will rarely get time off in lieu

Kharn, if you are paid a salary instead of by the hour, then they don't have to give you overtime. I get paid a salary, and will just say to my boss, I'm off for a dental app. now, but I worked extra hours... blah, blah... if your boss is semi human, surely you can say something like that to him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Right I'll put my comments to this thread since I work for the same company.

In the normal contract (the one kharn is on) it is stated that overtime while not the norm shall be expected when a project demands it i.e. when its going live in a week and nothing works ;). It also states that this overtime shall be rewarded via the annual bonus or time off in lieu. Time off in lieu must be ok'd by your manager in advance.

Right now for 3 years I worked my ass off in the said company and overtime was a weekly thing for me. Now I did not like this situ but I must say they did make up for it in the annual bonus and other ways. The other ways would be meal vouchers and gift vouchers around the town and these where a nice touch in imho. Also time off in lieu was given and although it would not be down to the exact time you worked there was no real loss there.

Also things like getting time off for this that and the other (doctors/dentist/just cause I feel like it :D) is easy to get.

Any way I dont know what he is complaining about he has only been doing some overtime in the past 3 weeks and it is because a project is about to go live. You are not going to be able to take time off in lieu until that project goes live simple.

So to break down your post
    we don't get overtime = true but it is taken into account for the annual bonus

will rarely get time off in lieu = bull you just have to ok it with your Project Manager. Hell I got days back with out even asking.

I'm just curious does anyone know if there are any specific laws governing this in Ireland = You signed the contract so you have accepted the fact that you will be expected to do overtime when needed. As for the whole laws side of things there are the EU work place laws which set out a maximium hours per week you can work and the amount of time you should have off between shifts etc.

Any way man if you did some work during the day you would not have to work overtime :p.

kayos

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Murphy, take your smart ass attitude and kindly fuck off.

I want cold, hard cash or my time back. I don't recall seeing anything about time off in lieu in my contract and my manager said that's not the way this company works, so is it one set of rules for some employees and another set for the rest?

Now this could get interesting...

Originally posted by Kharn
    Murphy, take your smart ass attitude and kindly fuck off.

I want cold, hard cash or my time back. I don't recall seeing anything about time off in lieu in my contract and my manager said that's not the way this company works, so is it one set of rules for some employees and another set for the rest?

Now this could get interesting...

Well I dont know what your contract looks like, the last time I signed a standerd contract was back in early 99 FFS and at that time it was in there.

Man look at the employee hand book
    Overtime will not be paid but consideration is given at annual review to hours worked and the salary increase will reflect the individual effort and commitment.

So from that you will not get paid overtime, hell your are on a salary you will never get paid overtime any way. They do take it into account in salary review and bonus time of year.

As for no time off in lieu you will have to sort that out with your manager. You know that they do give it, as you know i get it.
    so is it one set of rules for some employees and another set for the rest?
    You know I am on a different contract to most employees so that could explain that.

As for my smart assed attitude there was nothing meant to be smart assed in that last post there where jokes however (notice the smileys).

kayos

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

[OT] Just to let everyone know, this is how Kealan and I talk to each other all the time - we are actually very good mates :) [/OT]

Anyway, I'll talk to my manager (that's YOU Kealan if I'm to believe all that rubbish you spout about you being my boss) about this time off craic and dig up my contract for clarification...

Between us we'll get this place behaving like a real business Murphy! :)

Thanks for all the comments and help folks - I'll let you know how I get on ;)

Originally posted by Kharn
    [OT] Just to let everyone know, this is how Kealan and I talk to each other all the time - we are actually very good mates :) [/OT]

Anyway, I'll talk to my manager (that's YOU Kealan if I'm to believe all that rubbish you spout about you being my boss) about this time off craic and dig up my contract for clarification...

Between us we'll get this place behaving like a real business Murphy! :)

Thanks for all the comments and help folks - I'll let you know how I get on ;)

Yes and we lived together as well, this is a quite conversation for us :)

As for being your manager, yes I am in terms of technical manager on some projects but you want to talk to your business manager on the project you have been doing the overtime on.

/me goes back to his documentation :(

kayos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

rofl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

I'd give him an official warning for that kind of lip. Can't have that commie talk infecting the floor :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

21 days holidays a year we're allowed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

actually 20 days holidays based on the number of hours worked

generally its 1.5 days for every month worked

The fact that you are paid a salary does not prohibit you from receving overtime. It all depends on your contract

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by amen
    actually 20 days holidays based on the number of hours worked

generally its 1.5 days for every month worked

actually, its 1.66 if you want to get technical.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan
    actually, its 1.66 if you want to get technical.

are you sure it's not 1.75?? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,705 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by Beruthiel
    are you sure it's not 1.75?? :confused:
    1+8/12=1+2/3=1.66666
    21 days would be 1.75
    (you an arts student ??:D )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

I've got a tech engineer type job for a large multinational.

most of my dept who do the same type of job as be are employed on a salary basis. they get no overtime for extra work done only the prospect of it being considered @ bonus/raise time and time in lieu.

i on the other hand get over time for all work above my 37.5hr week (7.5hrs@1.5 - the rest @double time) . i get paid for international travel - door to door. this is strickly inforced too as its union backed.

i was away working last week and did just under an 80 hour week - loads of extra cash for me.
    but the guy i was traveling with is on salary and gets SFA.

conclusion- you sign your contract, you takes your choice

Advertisement