Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hardware DivX decoder

• 07-10-2002 1:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.sigmadesigns.com/products/xcard_intro.htm

I'm seriously looking at this to form the core of a multimedia box for the house.
    have it on the LAN, sitting beside the TV/HiFi in a subtely modded case.
    Twould be perfect :) Would replace the DVD player too (hardware decoding of DVD and SuperBit™ DVD, VCD etc.).
    Also does MP3 :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I've been looking seriously at that card for the last while. Looks like something I couldn't do without (at the moment I'm using PC/Dxr3 card to play DVDs on the telly - this could be a handy upgrade). I'd like to hear some kind of personal testimony about the card before buying it though - unfortunately I've not come across anyone who has one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

Workmate had one.

He was complaining about it's inability to FF/RR in VBR Divx movies and he felt that he was little more than a Beta tester for Sigma designs.
    He had to re-encode all the Divx movies as CBR to get them working well with the X-Card.
    From my experience of Divx practically everything that is released to the internet is VBR.

He bought an old 400Mhz Celeron system off me and used it along with the X-Card as a multimedia center.

A DX3 card should output Divx to TV using a Sigma Designs driver and hack but you'll need a fast processor as it doesn't use it's decoder chip to decode mpeg4 streams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

that's something i was wondering about, how "hardware" is the decoding?
    Surely to keep up with future versions of DivX codec the driver will be upgraded, but does the card do all the work or is there a limit to the abilities of the chip?

Advertisement