Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Were campaigning for no vote to Nice..."

Options
  • 07-10-2002 1:32pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Two people called to my door on Sunday, they said “Were campaigning for no vote to Nice…” handed me a leaflet and said bye.

So, what’s this then? Could they have not just popped it into letterbox?

Or did they look at me and not take me for the voting type?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

That's all they said?! "We're campaigning for a 'No' vote" was that it? Are you sure they didn't say anything else? Even a cough to clear their throats? No.

Well if you said why you would probably got the following...

No Campaigners: "...because you will lose money power and freedom..."
    You: "Really! And how will that happen?"
    No Campaigners: "...Emmmmm, because, emmmm, ...eghhh, they're bullying you! That right, you're being bullied..."
    You: "What?! I'm being bullied???!!! By who???!!!"
    No Campaigners: "...Emmmm. Sorry. We've no time to chat. Must move on. Here's our leaflet - it the truth. Bye."
    Or did they look at me and not take me for the voting type?
    ...or maybe it was the "I'm voting YES" t-shirt you were wearing?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

that's all they said!

If some one was still undecided on how to vote, they might have slightly sided with yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'd be pleased if that was all anti-nice ppl said!

Mike.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I'd be pleased if that was all Yes to nice people said.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I had a taxi driver try that No crap on me too.

Nice discussion was on the radio. I make a comment on it, he asks me how I'm voting. I say "Well I was going to vote no until I actually read the treaty and I will probably end up voting yes".

Bad mistake, hands me a leaflet then puts a tape on full blast with someone woman talking about "Why you should vote no".

Funny the first argument was that everyone voted no first time. I point out that only a small percentage turned up so how could it be a classed as the majority?

He then said "Well if Bertie lost the election, do you think he would hold another until he won?" at which point I said he did every couple of years. They are the general elections.

I then asked if he had actually read the treaty, and after that it just degenerated into "Why the government sucks".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭article6

He then said "Well if Bertie lost the election, do you think he would hold another until he won?" at which point I said he did every couple of years. They are the general elections.

Unfortunately for your logic, this is the system them people call democracy. It lets us avoid despots, dictators, that sort of thing.

On the other hand, the people who wanted to speak on Nice have spoken on Nice. Most of them said no. This is not a vote for people, it is a vote for a policy, and thus should not have been re-run in the first place.

Originally posted by Hobbes
    I had a taxi driver try that No crap on me too.

Taxi Drivers, don't you just love them?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I walked past this old chap on the street yesterday. Just as I was about to flick on my "moving back into your walking lane" indicators, I heard this quiet "vote yes to Nice". No-one else on the street. Just... weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by article6
    Unfortunately for your logic, this is the system them people call democracy. It lets us avoid despots, dictators, that sort of thing.

On the other hand, the people who wanted to speak on Nice have spoken on Nice. Most of them said no. This is not a vote for people, it is a vote for a policy, and thus should not have been re-run in the first place.

So your saying those people who could not vote before due to their age are denied a right to vote on something that will have a major impact on their country and their life in it?

For that matter it was small percentage turn out, mostly because no one had a clue what it was about. Seeing as the advertising on it is a lot higher we can expect a larger turn out on the vote. Are you worried all those new people will vote yes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Tiger Celt

<Mod edit: Take it to admin... oops you already have, URL removed:

On another note, your IP is very similar to those I've seen before.>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Shazbat

Those two people were a bit strange, I hope you are not going to make your decision on whether to vote yes or no on their odd little visit.

You should check out the www.no2nice.org site and in particular the section about 'the interests of small nations' for some insights into what ratifying the treaty might mean.

Originally posted by Shazbat

You should check out the www.no2nice.org site and in particular the section about 'the interests of small nations' for some insights into what ratifying the treaty might mean.

Absolutely, it's a great piece of propaganda, or should I say Nazi Propaganda (http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/front/2002/1011/927689545HM1BARRETT.html)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Having reviewed that website in detail (especially as I have it in my sig at the moment) PH01 I have found nothing in there that I disagree with and I'm not a Nazi. I think your getting a bit desparate in your attempts to put down the No side.

Yes I agree some of the No side are not people I'd invite out for a meal. But on the other hand look at the "Brown Envelope Brigade" on the yes side :)

Gandalf.

Originally posted by gandalf
    Having reviewed that website in detail (especially as I have it in my sig at the moment) PH01 I have found nothing in there that I disagree with and I'm not a Nazi. I think your getting a bit desparate in your attempts to put down the No side.

Yes I agree some of the No side are not people I'd invite out for a meal. But on the other hand look at the "Brown Envelope Brigade" on the yes side :)

Gandalf.

Yes, I know, it's a cheap swipe saying that the No2Nice properganda is Nazi Properganda. I take that back.

Though you would have concerns about Justin Barrett.

Originally posted by PH01
    Yes, I know, it's a cheap swipe saying that the No2Nice properganda is Nazi Properganda. I take that back.

Though you would have concerns about Justin Barrett.

Well I'm sure Mr. Barrett would have severe concerns about alot of my views as well.

I mean if you take my stance on abortion for example you could easily say that voting No to Nice is Pro-abortion which it isn't as abortion has nothing to do with this treaty.

Gandalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

I agree mostly with what Gandalf has said, but surprisingly enough, I am an informed, educated adult and I have made up my own mind on why I, Typedef am opposed to the Nice Treaty, so please don't degrade yourself by attempting to cast aspersions on me or other opponents of the Nice Treaty with simplistic accusations of Nazism or (x) ism, it degrades you so much more then it ever will me.

The so-called No 'side' is not simply a legion of automatons. I won't even dignify the Nazi comment with a rebuff.

Of course there are a range of disporate views on why people are opposed to the Nice Treaty, for some it is a prinicpal of democracy, both in Europe and at home, for some it is about Federalism and others Neutrality and really people must be getting desperate if comparing people to Nazis is the best argument for ratification that is being currently bandied about.

It just concerns me that a character like Justin Barrett can find a home with the No2Nice campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

It just concerns me that a character like Justin Barrett can find a home with the No2Nice campaign.
    There's nothing to stop the guy from holding an opinion. Sure, some people oppose Nice because of their extreme right-wing religious opinions. But from the discussions on this board, I'd say that's a minority view among No voters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Shazbat

Yes, I know, it's a cheap swipe saying that the No2Nice properganda is Nazi Properganda. I take that back...

You say this and then go and post a poll on "No to nice man Justin Barrett and the Neo nazis" I mean ????

Don't you think its another clumsy attempt at linking "no to nice" people with nazis?

It concerns me that a shyster like Bertie is leading our country but what can I do :)

Gandalf.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Shazbat
    Don't you think its another clumsy attempt at linking "no to nice" people with nazis?

I'm not attempting to link anybody from the No2Nice campaign with Neo Nazis for Justin Barrett seems to be doing a pretty good job at this on his own.

Advertisement