Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MySQL and JAVA

Options
  • 07-10-2002 4:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭

so another college year [cit], another desperate attempt at a project

this year, we have to come up with a college timetable system. we can use java, but if we do, we MUST have a web based interface to ppl check from afar.

thats all fine, we can use MSAccess or MySQL, we used Access last year, and that was fine. But I wouldnt mind trying my hand at MySQL

to this end the question is, where can i lean about it on the web FER NUTTIN !! any links to useful tutorials, downloads, examples etc would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Try Google

or

dmoz dot org which is fast becoming my favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

You'll want to get your hands on a JDBC driver for MySQL, we used mm.MySQL for a java project last year. It's very simple to use, they have a page on sourceforge I think. The docs/webpage has a simple example that's enough to get you started.

Oh ... it no onger exists! Now called MySQL Connector! I guess you should give it a whirl then:

http://www.mysql.com/products/connector-j/index.html

.... it's "official" oooooh!!! You know all about your sql statments already right? (Does access do them?) Well with the old driver you simply created a query object with a string, submitted it, and that did whatever you wanted it to do and returned a result set object that had all the results in it! I presume it's roughly the same with the new Connector thing.

www.mysql.com has all the different queries and some examples that can be quite useful. www.devshed.com (dunno if it's shere, too lazy to check) is what we used initially to find out about stuff like servlets and database jazz, it was okay for getting the general gist of things.

groups.google.com or whatever is _great_ for when you have some stuipd problem that is spitting out some stupid big long error. Someone somewhere has most likely already made the same mistake as you an asked about it!!

have fun!

Rob

Advertisement