Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

shotgun fun

• 07-10-2002 5:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭El Marco

Wow, that guy has balls :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭Gaz

... no brain though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

If the blast had been a few feet lower we'd have been saying that he had neither brains nor balls remaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Please DO NOT try this at home. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

err, wouldnt the shotgun spread hit him below the slab of concrete?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Dustaz
    The shot from a shotgun spreads at something like 1 inch per yard (diameter I think but it could be radius), hence at about 5 yards the spread is only 5 inches (this would appear to concur with the photo).

ballistics.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by El Marco
    Wow, that guy has balls :eek:

that guys balls have balls... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

Originally posted by Dustaz

hehe its not cs m8 :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Originally posted by Victor
    The shot from a shotgun spreads at something like 1 inch per yard (diameter I think but it could be radius), hence at about 5 yards the spread is only 5 inches (this would appear to concur with the photo).

ballistics.jpg

I'm afraid you couldn't be more wrong Victor. The spread on a shotgun depends on a number of factors including length of the barrels, chokes used, shot weight, velocity and kinetic energy.

The general rule of one inch per yard spread has been proved to be absolutely wrong. A shotgun with no choke or liberally choked can spread up to one inch PER FOOT of range.

Spread will also be massively dependant on the type of shot used, buckshot won't spread as effectively as pellets.

Also a sawn off will have a massive spread akin to a scattergun.

As for your diagram..... don't you have anything better to do with your time?

.logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Victor, no two shotguns have the same spread:distance ratio, and the "one inch per yard" example is very, very crude. Besides which, pellets can knock off each other in transit and go all over the place, making a stunt like this not brave, but Very, Very Stupid Indeed.

Oh and it also means you're wrong, as you can see on the following handy diagram:

bzzztwrong.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

that man is an idiot

Originally posted by logic1
    I'm afraid you couldn't be more wrong Victor. The spread on a shotgun depends on a number of factors including length of the barrels, chokes used, shot weight, velocity and kinetic energy. ... Spread will also be massively dependant on the type of shot used, buckshot won't spread as effectively as pellets.
    You forget range to target, windspeed and relative direction, humidity, angle of aim, vibration, recoil, burn speed of the powder, shot and powder quality, randomness and no doubt the colour of the spots on Pluto at that particular point in time.
    The general rule of one inch per yard spread has been proved to be absolutely wrong. A shotgun with no choke or liberally choked can spread up to one inch PER FOOT of range.
    Now I vaguely remember saying "something like 1 inch per yard (diameter I think but it could be radius)". This puts me in the same bracket of what you are talking about (You: 1/12 to ???, Me: "something like" 1/18 to 1/36). Hey, put a regular shell in a starter gun (barrel about 6-10 inches long) and get 1/6 or better.
    Also a sawn off will have a massive spread akin to a scattergun.
    Do you refer to the old style "blunderbus"? Which didn't need to be shaped as they were to achieve spread?
    As for your diagram..... don't you have anything better to do with your time?
    Eh, not really. What I was demonstating was where the shot from this gun hit, as demonstrated by where the concrete failed. In fact most of the shot appears to have fallen in a very tight circle, prodcuing the spalling, while smaller amounts of shot hit the slab in other areas setting up other cracks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Anyone who gets fired-upon wearing only a t-shirt and a pair of y-fronts, has got to be terribly stoopid, and a potential winner of a Darwin award, regardless of whether the spread is 1" per yard, or 1" per foot...

Observe that his y-fronts are noticeably missing from the subsequent photos.. This, I put to you, is because said undergarments were soiled, as soon as the trigger was pulled...

His expression in the fourth photo is not one of shock, or pain, but of release... Maybe this is a cure for constipation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Maybe this is a cure for constipation?

lol, now THATS science

digby_chix.jpg

Science Kicks, with Digby Chix

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

Dumb, no other word describes it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Carbiens

anyone notice they impact explosion and the direction the fragments (of slab) are going?

ok correct me if im wrong but..
    regardless of how far apart the pellets would be when they hit the slab, the fragments would have (saying that the pellets all hit the slab at almost the exact same time) flown towards the nearest depression a.k.a they nearest pellet impact piont, in other words the overall shape of the dust/frgment explosion would have been semi-sphere projecting outwards from the slab.

but!
    the actual explosion in the picture is a straight funnel shape showing that the explosion was more than likely a firecracker or some other small explosive placed in the middle of the slab.

so there:p

Originally posted by Carbine
    in other words the overall shape of the dust/frgment explosion would have been semi-sphere projecting outwards from the slab.
    Not necessarily as the explosion is not at the point of impact (like a bomb).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

That's a fake by a couple of bored corn-bread alabama farm boys.

The firecracker idea's certainly more plausible then to think it was an actual shotgun round.
    The dust being sent back from the plate immediately suggests that.

Advertisement