Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Golden Maverick

Options
  • 07-10-2002 6:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

==================================
    The Golden Maverick
    Sundays, Noon - 3pm
    relayed 97.8 on the aul' FM
    ==================================
    Here's yesterday's playlist.

Greetings to one and all in radio land and to all our internet listeners whereever they may be. Here is the playlist from yesterdays show and i must admit that i enjoyed myself thoroughly. Let's hope it wasn't too hard on you guys.

1 Countries – Polska
    - This is the third release on Dublin label Kin Recordings and features the talents of young Dublin producer Polska. Staggered beats and a symphonic wash of background sounds make this a tune definitely worth buying. The releases on this label are improving at every turn.

2 The Long Hair of Death – Stereolab
    – This Anglo-French outfit have been doing the rounds for years now and this tune is from a couple of years ago. I can never remember the name of the album it’s from.

3 Soft like me – St Etienne featuring MC Wildflower
    – This is a track from the new album ‘Finisterre’ and is one that stood out for me. Wildflower’s rap lifts the song from its’ pop perfection into something a little more grittier.

4 Only love can break your heart – St Etienne
    – This is the St Etienne I know and love, this for me is the quintessential tune of theirs, which shows how much of a time warp I’m stuck in. Better still is the Andrew Weatherall remix.

5 Flim – Aphex Twin
    – This is the b-side of the brilliant but ****ed up ‘Come to Daddy’ single and is most definitely my favourite tune of his ever.

6 Ralome – Plaid
    – This is a beautiful piece of music from Warp Records finest duo Ed and Andy, it's on the ‘restproofclockwork’ album from a couple of years ago.

7 Inner flight – Primal Scream
    – This is a instrumental from the groundbreaking ‘Screamadelica’ album that was released in 1991. This album set dance floors rocking and was a prime mover in the indie-dance crossover of the early nineties.

8 Tonka Truck – Solvent
    – This is a tune on German label Morr Music that is also host to other great acts such as Lali Puna, Arovane and Christian Kleine. This is a lovely electronic ditty.

9 Until I realise – John Tejada
    – This is taken from his album for Defocus records, which was released in 2001. This guy makes more records than you’ve had hot dinners and if he doesn’t relax he’s gonna blow up.

10 How to find Royal Jelly – The lost skrolls of Hamaric
    – This was a seven inch released on Best Seven records a year or two ago. It’s a dub style number with a version on the flip.

11 Charlemane – Lundaland (Bigga’s Imperial Mix for Rockers Hi-Fi)
    – This is available on the Dub Infusions album from Sonar Kollectiv, and apparently this great album is available to buy once more. Snap it up if you see it, it’s full of gems.

12 Cherrystones – Eugene Mc Daniels
    – This is a freaky seventies tune with a break for all hip-hop kids to die for.
    What the hell am I doing with it then?

13 Fever – Peggy Lee
    – Classic tune that all ages love by the late, great Peggy Lee who passed away not too long ago.

14 Getaway – Earth, Wind and Fire
    – Brilliant, full on seventies classic that has been done by a wide variety of bands down through the years.

15 Too high – Stevie Wonder
    – Taken from the brilliant ‘Innervisions’ album by Mr Wonder. Need I say more.

16 How sweet it is to be loved by you – Marvin Gaye
    – The first in the Marvin Gaye triple play selection.

17 Got to give it up – Marvin Gaye

18 Can I get a witness
    – The third and final tune by Mr Gaye. I just have to state that Marvin rocks on a Sunday and any other day of the week you might care to mention.

19 Eye know – De la Soul
    – From the album ‘Three feet high and rising’ from many moons ago, this and every other tune on the record still kicks ass.

20 Times up – O.C.
    – I’ve been playing this tune to death and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

21 Verbal – Amon Tobin featuring MC Decimal R
    – This is a great tune from the new album which is titled ‘Out from out where’ on Ninja Tune records. It’s my humble opinion that this new album is far more accessible to most listeners than some of his previous work.

22 Studio Pressure – Plaid Remix
    – This is a tune on Certificate 18 from a number of years ago that has apparently been made available once more. Any tune that combines the talents of Photek and Plaid is definitely worth getting your hands on.

23 A sense of rage (VIP Mix) – Goldie
    – This is from the best drum and bass album of all time according to Goldie, but he would say that because he wrote it. The album in question is called ‘Timeless’ and Goldie is probably correct in his assertion.

25 Man fi cool – Roots Manuva
    – Taken from his ‘Dub come save me’ album, this is great aul stuff altogether.

24 Vale – International Observer – On the Different Drummer label which I believe is owned by More Rockers, this is a dubtastic tune to get the head nodding.

25 Present Arms – UB40
    – This is the title track from the album of the same name.

26 Roots Vibe – The Lovejoys
    – More brilliant reggae music on a re-release on the Wackies label.

27 Biting my nails – Renegade Soundwave
    – Great remix by Bassnumb Chapter of early nineties band Renegade Soundwave who are more famous for their Probably a Robbery tune.

28 Naxalite Dub – Asian Dub Foundation (Adrian Sherwood Mix) – They're playing in Dublin later this month (Oct 25th) and this version features some deft touches from famous dub producer Mr Sherwood who has been around for more years than I care to remember. He's also working on their new album (out early 2003).

29 Gel lab – Plaid
    – This is another tune that features on their ‘restproofclockwork’ album. More lovely stuff, you can’t go wrong with these lads.

30 Bitter things – Christian Kleine
    – More wonderfully uplifting music from Morr Music in Germany.

31 Summertare – Polska
    – This is another tune that features on the ‘Are you dim’ EP, newly released on Kin Recordings. As this is a strictly limited release, I’d buy now before it’s too late.

32 Get Carter – Stereolab
    – This is a grooving tune that is perfect for the car stereo and any other stereo that you’d care to mention.

33 Loaded – Primal Scream
    – This is one of the indie anthems of all time, shake your wrists and wiggle your hips to this one. ‘We wanna be free to do what we wanna do’.

34 Invasion of the Estate Agents – Beats International
    – This is the instrumental dub of all time favourite ‘Dub be good to me’. Believe me it’s as good as it sounds.

35 Pass the Dutchie – Musical Youth
    – This generation, rules the nation, with version. Brilliant.

That's it again. I hope you enjoyed the show if you were listening in. If you weren't listening but like the look of the tunes then feel free to tune in next week between 12 and 3 GMT on a Sunday afternoon. All the best

The Golden Maverick

--
    www.PowerFM.org
    Streaming live from Dublin City 24/7.

3 speeds:
    - http://live.powerfm.org/asx/powerlive16k.asx
    - http://live.powerfm.org/asx/powerlive.asx
    - http://live.powerfm.org/asx/powerlive64k.asx

The Dublin Electronic Arts Festival takes place Oct 20 - 29th '02
    More info on DEAF from www.deaf2002.com

Advertisement