Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd Hard Drive - Was there, now gone

• 07-10-2002 9:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭

It was there, now its gone. The External Cd writer was being used, maybe that screwed it up but basically its being recognised by BIOS but not by Windows.

Any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Is it visible in properties device manager? If so try opening the propeties for the drive and re-name the drive.

I don't know if its relevant but have you checked the IDE controllers also in properties, maybe one of them has a conflict?

Just a few guesses, I'm no expert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Matfinn

The reason your hard drive might not be appearing in windows is because its not formatted using common windows filesystems ( ie: NTFS or FAT32 ). You might need to format it. Ill need more information from you in order to answer this question fully. What version of windows are you running? Was the hard drive recognised by windows before? If your drive is recognised by the BIOS then its unlikely its a hardware problem. An external CDRW drive wouldnt do anything to mess up your setup. Tell me does it take a while for your computer to bootup? ( much longer than it usually should ).

Matt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

It is visible in device manager but i can't get through to change the letter. Its locked off. I tried changeing the drive letters of the CD drive to Z to see if that would work but no luck.

I did try formatting it, around 2-3 times. No luck. I also tried making a primary and secondary DOS partition, neither worked.

I can't think of a good reason why this might work but
    try unhooking the drive IED cable and the power connector, then reboot, shut down and reconnect the leads and re-boot.
    Sometimes that sort of thing works!

Mike.

Neil did you find your second HDD yet?!

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Sound advice Mike but it didnt work. :(
    Thanks for helping tho:)

I'm guessing that it is nothing to do with the pin placement on the back of the harddrive, i.e. the primary master slave thingameebob, since it is being recognised as the primary slave in BIOS.

Another thought, when it worked last, it was running off an extended DOS partition. Would that have had any effect?

I was going to ask about primary/secondary, but forgot.

I have to say its got me stumped, I mentioned the IDE controller in Device Properties did you check them, there should be one for each drive. The PCI bus master must be okay as you can see one drive...I dunno!

http://www.computing.net/dos/wwwboard/forum/10563.html

Try here -

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/

Mike.

Advertisement