Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

There's a job going at the Stadium of Light...

• 07-10-2002 10:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Mick, Dave or a.n. other?

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

According to Sky Sports, the names in the hat at the moment are those of George Graham and David O'Leary, with O'Leary saying : "I'm gutted for Peter, but I'm an out-of-work manager and I'm happy to talk to anyone" and Graham adding : "I'm keen to speak to any club whose ambition matches my own."

Apparently Niall Quinn himself is also being considered a possibility.

No sign of any interest from Mick McCarthy though... shockingly enough he's got enough on his plate right now.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Fuc I hope mcfarty pisses off now and let some one right manage the team.

It seems alright that O'leary babies will have a new nanny!

Other names mentioned on Sky Sports News this morning as possible contenders for the job are Mick McCarthy and... er, Paul Gascoigne.

Looks like O'Leary's the favourite though.

But imagine... (not that it's gonna happen... but just imagine...) McCarthy going to Sunderland and O'Leary taking the Ireland job and bringing Roy Keane back ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

my head says O' Leary will get it but my heart wants McCarthy to get it. the sooner he's gone the better

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

If we bombard Sunderland FC with emails posing as Sunderland supporters that we want Mcfarty due to his vast international management exp, will to win, bla bla bla would it work!! :p ***snap out of it!!!***

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

I thought the sacking of Peter Reid was a bit on the harsh side, especially considering their next three games are Bolton, Charlton and West Ham, the three bottom clubs. Bearing in mind they have already played United, Leeds and Arsenal this season I thought he should have been given at least those three games. He has brought them to their highest league finish in 40 years, he has earned a bit of loyalty considering where they were when he took over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Its a disgrace that he was sacked,when he took over seven years ago they were heading to the second division,yet he has turned them around,won the 1st division title twice,and finished seventh in the primership twice aswell as overseen the building of their impressive stadium.For him to acheive all this and still be sacked boggles the mind.

This is the Problem with football nowadays. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭Serbian

From the FAI website:
    "I want to take Ireland to Euro 2004 in Portugal," he declared. "I am flattered to be associated with the Sunderland job and am disappointed for Peter Reid, but I am only concentrating on next week's game against Switzerland.

"I think being linked with other jobs is the price you have to pay for the success we've had moving from 54th to 13th in the World rankings and losing only twice in competitive games in the last three years." The manager went on to insist that he sees his future with Ireland and that is why he agreed to sign a new two-year contract during the summer.

Probably rules him out of the job at the Stadium of Light...

"I want to take Ireland to Euro 2004 in Portugal,"

And we want to go,its just not going to be with you,you useless piece of crap!!!!!

Yes i hate him ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I predicted Reids going in the Liverpool-Chelsea
    thread but did'nt expect it quite so soon!

He's spent a lot of money over the last 6 months and seen nothing for it, but I'd have given him until
    the new year I think just to see if things improved with Marcus Stewart and Tor Andre Flo.

I think the board may go with someone who's able to work on a budget like Alan Curbushiely(?) or George Burley.

Mike.

• Advertisement

FM104's sports news this morning reports the following odds:

George Graham: 6-4 odds-on favourite
    Mick McCarthy: odd shortened from 16-1 (yesterday) to 2-1 (today)
    David O'Leary: Outsider (think they said 12-1 or something) - not being considered for the job at the moment

Two horse race between McCarthy and Graham, or so they say.

Ye Gods, let it be McCarthy.

I hear george Grahams agents said that he was not interested. TodayFm were making Mick hot favourite this morning, I just think that would be too good to be true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Wouldn't mind Mick Mc getting it, once it doesn't mean O Leary getting the Ireland job, thats my biggest nightmare for the Irish team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭anarchy

mccarthy out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

Please let McCarthy get it and then the Republic can get a real manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Yeah but if the price of McCarthy out is O Leary in, then its too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

Originally posted by Serbian
    Probably rules him out of the job at the Stadium of Light...

I wouldn't know about that. I'd say he's (Mick McBollixCarthy) really pitching to the job at Sunderland.

Here's some reading between the lines of his statement...

"I want to take Ireland to Euro 2004 in Portugal," (at least I have the Ireland job to fall back on, unlike O'Leary) he declared. "I am flattered to be associated with the Sunderland job (I can't believe they could be that stupid to consider me for the job - wow, and I thought the FAI were thick?) and am disappointed for Peter Reid (cheers Pete for digging me out of this hole), but I am only concentrating on next week's game against Switzerland (is that next week? Funny how time flys?).

"I think being linked with other jobs is the price you have to pay for the success we've had moving from 54th to 13th in the World rankings (what other manager in the world could match that? You'd be crazy not to consider me for the Sunderland job) and losing only twice in competitive games in the last three years. (if I can do it for Ireland I can do it for Sunderland)" The manager went on to insist that he sees his future with Ireland (untill something better comes up) and that is why he agreed to sign a new two-year contract during the summer (but a new contract with Sunderland will compensate Mick for any fines he might incur by breaking his contract with the FAI).

I think Dave O leary would be a good ROI manager, but I am not sure he would take it this early in his career. Why would you be so against his appointment Bateman?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭BogOak

on tv3 news last night they asked mccarthy about sunderland and he gave that big spiel quoted in posts above but when they asked if it was a definite no to sunderland mccarthy said something like "you can read whatever you want into that"(that's not a direct quote now lads) so there's still a chance the **** might **** off. god help us if he was replaced by gormless dave "the pointer" o'leary. i can't think of a single decent candidate for the ireland job though apart from roy keane and he won't be going into management for a while i'd say.

bo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

Paddy Power are quoting Mick at 5-2 on to get the Sunderland Job and O'Leary is 7-2. Hmmm interesting.

Bookies rarely get it wrong and Mick has been slashed form 16/1 to 5/2 , so i'd say Switzerland will be his last game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

i just applied for the job too and i'm hot favourite in the bookies,1-19

I just heard some UK pundit say McCarthy has the knack of bringing the best out of Kilbane! He's starting to look like a shoe-in.

Did anyone read a quotes from O'Leary?
    He was practicaly daring Sunderland not to hire him..."I'm the man for the job.."

If McCarthy does go, Ireland will need to get a quality
    manager and thats not O'Leary, but it who?

Mike.

This mornings sports news reports say that Sunderland representatives have approached the FAI for permission to talk to Mick McCarthy about the vacant position of manager at their club.

The FAI have given this permission and have said that they "will not stand in Mick's way should he decide to leave". Apparently, discussions have taken place to find a way out for Mick of his recently signed contract with the FAI, should he be offered the Sunderland job and decide to take it up.

Let us not forget that Mick McCarthy has produced some superb results with the Irish team and has, on the whole, been a very successful international manager. He should be applauded for his track record with Ireland.

I don't see why David O'Leary would be a bad choice for Ireland manager. In fact I can only imagine that he would be quite a good replacement for McCarthy. He's Irish, - he knows most of the players, he can understand and identify with Ireland's playing style, and he's had great success with Leeds and (IMHO) hasn't been given a fair chance (by supporters and pundits at least) as yet. Remember when he was the hero of the penalty shootout (along with Packie Bonner)? Give the man a chance ffs :)

McCarthy should, in my opinion, bow out gracefully from international football after the Switzerland game and move to Sunderland - a team and a club who would very much appreciate his influence. Here's hoping that we win that game and he goes out on a high, and here's hoping that more people give him the support and the credit he's due for the excellent job he's done as Ireland manager. Sure he's made a few mistakes here and there - EVERYONE does... but on the whole, he's done a good job.

Well done Mick... now make the right choice and move to Sunderland... and the best of luck to you there too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

It looks like it's going to be Steve Cotterill, he resigned from Stoke to join an unnamed club.

Sunderland will announce it at 11am today.

I hope it's Mick McCarthy to be honest.

I agree entirely with Bard. Why are you all giving Dave so much stick ? Leeds have fallen apart since the summer, and they were a bag of sh*te under Graham. So with the same squad Dave O Leary outperformend George Graham, and now Terry Veneballs is making Dave look good again. These are two of the most experienced managers in England, including Englands most successful manager since Bobby Robson got them to the world cup semi's in 1990.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭Congoose

McCarthy shortened to 4/7!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

Howard Wilkinson - HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Howard Wilkinson (WHAT?) will be Director of football
    and Steve Cotterill (WHO?) will be appointed manager.........

Jes* Ch* :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Johnny_the_fox

WHO?

Current manager of Stoke City.

Des Cahill says that Mick McCarthy will be "gutted" that the job is gone...

hrmmm...

(feck it anyway!)

well fk me!! I thought that they would have appointed that prat!

What are they at, must put money on them to be relegated now for sure.

Stupid appointment me thinks.

What a crap appointment if i was a fan i would be going mad,me thinks they were only appointed cause there cheap.

Even Worse were still stuck with Mick :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Wilkinson (ROFLOL). Well hopefully Kevin Kilbane will be spending many many hours on the bench :)

It might persued Mick to drop him. Althou I doubt that :rolleyes:

Gandalf.

(btw I reckon Sunderland will win a trophy next season......The 1st Division)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

What a pitty.
    If McBollixCarthy doesn't go within the next year, we'll never see Roy back in the Green shirt :(

• Advertisement

Originally posted by PH01
    What a pitty.
    If McBollixCarthy doesn't go within the next year, we'll never see Roy back in the Green shirt :(

Unless, of course, the two thick headed bollixes Mick'n'Roy kiss and make up in the meantime...

Unless, of course, the two thick headed bollixes Mick'n'Roy kiss and make up in the meantime...

I knew it was a pig flying there at luchtime!:D

Steve Cotterill may be er not famous but he is good, and he's only ever worked on a tight budget. Ideal for Sunderland then. Wilko will be more a figurehead methinks, with Cotterill to take the reigns fully if everything pans out by 2004-2005 season.

Mike.

Cotterils record is sh*te though according to Sky, 13 matches this season for Stoke and his record is:
    P W D L F A
    12 3 5 4 15 17

And they owe the FA 500k!!

Me finks they have lost the plot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,718 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I didnt want to jinx it, but I sat in work by the radio praying, praying that the Sunderland fans could be cursed with McCarthys brilliant managerial skills. Im gutted ( though not surprised)
    by the news that Sunderland rate Wilkinson and Cotterill as better prospects than our World Cup hero of a manager. If hes meant to be such a good manager Cathal Dervlan, wtf wont any gob****e hire him?

Since 1996 now the Irish fan has suffered through McCarthys learning curve in formations ( Ireland doesnt do 3-5-2 Mick), tactics ( Dont take off your best performing players in incredibly important matches Mick ) Selections ( we could write a book ), man management ( we could write two books, one for mick, and one for roy) . Will it ever end? :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

The funny thing is if Sunderland waited another day they could have landed a excellent manager in George Burley who was fired from Ipswich today :)

Gandalf.

Ah yes there's a position vacant at Portman Road...!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

Originally posted by yop
    P W D L F A
    12 3 5 4 15 17
    What has that got to do with anything? If the manager of Liechtenstein had a record of 3-5-4 you'd be calling him the greatest ever. Results are relative to what a team hopes and traditionally expects to achieve. Stoke have spent 6 of the past 11 seasons in Division 2 and have never even set Division 1 alight either in that time so their stats highlight a team that is pretty much at the peak of it's ambitions!
    Originally posted by gandalf
    Wilkinson
    Eh? Only four managers have won the league in the last decade ... and he's one of them. He also practically made the 'legend' of David O'Leary being a competant manager.

Pigman I must strongly disagree with that. Dave O leary made himself because he took risks and promoted young players that George Graham would not promote before him. I know he is a recent enough winner of the championship but I think the Leeds team was even worse then the Blackburn team of '95. Even Leeds fans have little respect for him as a manager. Besides the club game has changed alot since he was Sacked by Leeds. I do agree that you can't judge Cotterhill from his record this season as it is his first season at Stoke and it will always take a manager time to stamp his mark on a team.

Advertisement