Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

100 Albums You Should Remove From Your Collection

Options
  • 08-10-2002 1:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭

OK I just found this, I think its funny, dunno if its tongue in cheek as I havent had time to read it all yet, but its deffo gonna sttir up some comments I'll bet:

http://www.jaguaro.org/feature/archives/000007.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

I only have four of the albums named so im not doing too badly!

and they arent the worst in the world and 2 of em were presents so technically is not my fault that they are there in the first place......

i dunno why im making excuses!!

oh yeah.......probably coz its nearly 2am and ive hardly slept in over a month!!!!

My record collection is good methinks as its varied and ya know what they say........

too many cooks spoill the broth!

Exactly.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭sodiumlightbaby

I had 4...how could they put Bowie's Hunky Dory in there...phillistines..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

i've about 4, its more a piss-take though (see the bit about fugazi or flaming lips)..

reader comments at the bottom are hilarious.. .such typical gems as:
    I think that was a worthless list, and pretentious fukks should keep there mouths shut and realize the diversity of all the great music out there. **** off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Kurdt

i had about 5 by the time i got to 50 and then i got bored...certainly seems like a pisstake...either that or something else or that or something else or pasta or cheese or egggs...oh give me some cheese please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭johnnynolegs

i had eleven

does this make me something really bad like a mongoose i hope not

kurdt i just ate some cheese it was luverley

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

i ahve 9 that i own myself, and many more in there that family members have.
    and i will have 10 when i finally purchase hevaen or las vegas!

well good for u rosemary my dear - how r u these days????

you mean ever since u got too cheap to text people back?

im not in a great mood at the moent, in fact im quite angry. I know this is gonna sound so young and immature, but i have too friends...lets call them T and S. we all know each other quite well. T and S are currently having a fight, and T rang me to ask me to take her side, and when i told her how things seemed from an objective point of view, she went MAD. she's hasnt spoken to me since, which has upset all my college friends coz she's in college with me, and we all hang around together. And today, when i came down for lunch and saw her sitting with the rest of my friends, she saw me, got up and said 'i better go now' and left, and it was so obvius why she'd left

and also the group of friends T and S are from are all meeting up on sunday for dinner, and when i invited T i got no reply whatsoever, which is very annoying, and leaves me very angry at her, wnaitg to ring her neck for being so bloody rude and wanting to shut insults at er but i cant. GRRRRRRR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭shay

Hey D (too lazy to type drowner - oops I just did!)

Had the very same situ with my bruv and his mate - I was schtuk in the middle two. I got a bollickin from my bruv for being objective but he soon came round. He eventually seen that it's better to have good counsel than a "yes" man, or person as it is in this case. Your mates should understand that sooner than her, if they haven't already....

I'm Kent Brockman and that's my two cents.....

that does sound like a pretty bad situation to be in what r u gonna do about it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭madouva

Two things, apart from the piss-taking:
    1. STEREOLAB are ****. Except for track 8 on "Transient Random Noise Bursts...". "CREST" the song, is stunning. When they wrote that, they should have hung up their instruments, content that they would never, ever write better.
    2. HELMET. Same buzz, except the song is called "Unsung".

Loads of f*cking DEADLY albums in there. Must have been fun to compile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 velma

I have 8 but I refuse to remove them from my collection. I stand firm by my cd collection. Even if one of them is by Dustin from that den2 program thingy. It was a xmas present to be fair, many years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Sandi

I had 7 of those. Who the hell did out that list anyway? Some of those CDs are classics that everyone should have!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭GerK

Well my take on this guy is that he is taking the piss a bit and serious a bit, but I think his target is the owners of these albums and pretentious types who take their music and themselves too seriously.
    I reckon if you have some of these albums you should ask yourself, 'do I ever listen to them?' If you do then all's fair, if not, ask yourself 'why do I own these?' Is it so you can leave them lying around for people to see when they come by your place or so you can say you own them/like the band blah blah? If so maybe you SHOULD sell them and grow a personality.

Don't hate me coz' I'm smart! :D:p;)

shay....yeah...this girl T isnt very nice so i doubt shes gonna come round, so she's not worth it. Even though she's pissing off our college friends majorly by being so childish and rude.....

anyways
    were u at the shelter on saturday? coz i saw someone who looked like u but i wasnt sure if it was u or not coz i thought u might have said hey, but i was looking very dodgy on saturday (im sick) so i may have scared u

or osmething

Here here Gerk - I think that was precisely the point! Does that make me smart too? (",)

Does anyone remember Mr. Abusing from Melody Maker, used to slate bands in the same manner as this site all the time. Second only to Billy Connolly in his inate ability to use expletives to their max. humourous effect.

Drowner; nah - twasn't me, once a month is pretty much my thing (HS). Think it was Mojo or sumfink on?? Not my cupan tae.
    And yeah, I would have said hi - even if it had of cost me €3 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Kurdt

dont kick the baby!

no no kick the baby

ike - just do it!

Originally posted by shay

Does anyone remember Mr. Abusing from Melody Maker, used to slate bands in the same manner as this site all the time. Second only to Billy Connolly in his inate ability to use expletives to their max. humourous effect.

yeah, i think i do...would it have been 4/5 years ago?

• Advertisement

yep. sounds about right.

Kept a scrap book of the best bits - by god did he give Mariah Carey a slatting (no more than that trumped-up, self important dizzy trailer trash b*tch deserved).

The likes of Brian Adams got a good doing in too.

I always thought of him as a written expression of my fury at the mainstream music scene, which incidentally was conducive to my anger management treatment at the time :p

Originally posted by shay
    yep. sounds about right.

Kept a scrap book of the best bits - by god did he give Mariah Carey a slatting (no more than that trumped-up, self important dizzy trailer trash b*tch deserved).

The likes of Brian Adams got a good doing in too.

I always thought of him as a written expression of my fury at the mainstream music scene, which incidentally was conducive to my anger management treatment at the time :p

scrap book? Loser :p
    sorry. scrap books suggest a level of organisation which frightens me. And a level of sentiment. (people who like winnie the pooh and babies scare the **** outa me)

there are WAY too many big words in the post (some of them which i should know coz of my course!!!) for me to even think about trying to work out what yer trying to say ;);););)

but yeah it was funny. i believe i read him giving out about the manics one week, and at the itme i was an angsty manics fan so i was well pissed off and probably decided to stop buyting melody maker and read marie claire and cosmo and heat instead :):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭metalish

i have 7 albums on that list- smashing Pumpkins, NIN, Chili Peppers, Pink Floyd, Nirvana, Led Zepplin, and U2 'joshua tree'.
    i luv most of those bands so i ain't takin any of those albums from my collection which now reaches 167!!!

ive nearly got 500 cd's
    go me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Redhead

Great site - love all the "serious" responses from our transatlantic cousins ! I'd say I have at least a dozen. The one I'll always defend is the Who's Tommy - original and brilliant, worth listeneing to again and again. :)

I'll try to keep the words monosyllabic (oops!)
    yeah - I think it was bout the time one of them slit their wrists at an interview?
    He commented
    "was that supposed to make the interviewer think 'well, they must be a serious band now'. That act of self mutilation does not make you Van Gogh, you sad welsh twats'

he also gave the weddo a huge slagging, and I'm a huge fan of theirs. When they released the Hit Parade (a single every month), he said "now women and men have a reason to be in a lousy mood once a month" :D

class stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

Dave Gedge is a genius !!! I'ts great to be in a bad mood when listening to "A Million Miles" :D

I remember the Hot Press did a story Ireland a nation of begrudgers where they slagged off Irish artists like that.
    My Favourite was:
    Mary Black - "Sure every Irish familly has a sweet colleen that can sing the ballads, except the Blacks!"

hmmm
    didnt that happen years and years ago
    when they first kind of started out
    (wait for eyeliner boy to correct her with exact names, dates and locations)

sure, its nodd that the holy bible by the manics wasnt in that collection
    or was it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Okay, I've been drinking and I have a cigarette (no,its not big and its not clever) in my hand so I've lost my ability to type BUT>>>>

Cocteau Twins: Heaven or Las Vegas: My Dad bought this for me when I was miserable one day. Without this album I would never, EVER get to sleep on Xmas eve.

Nirvana;Nevermind: Or for F**ks sake, who DOESN'T own this? (Larry Gogan, perhaps?)

Husker Dú ; SHUT UP SHUT UP BOB MOULD IS MY LIFE (sometimes) WITHOUT HUSKER DU WE WOULD NOT HAVE SUGAR

i've forgotten the rest of 'em. But feck off anyway. Musical taste is musical taste. It would be pissy if we were all the same. I bought a Joe Jackson cd today. My mother slagged me off. But I love Joe Jackson.

Aaaaaarrrghhhh I hate people who pontificate about music this whole 'cooler than thou' sh*t

Who sez? You? And who are you anyway? And where were you when this particular song was FORMING MY LIFE??!!!

(you get the picture)

(Hey did I promise no more drunken posts?? Ahahhaahaaaahaahhaaa)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

Originally posted by Silverfish
    Nirvana;Nevermind: Or for F**ks sake, who DOESN'T own this? (Larry Gogan, perhaps?)
    Not even he! I read somewhere that Gogan buys on average 10 albums per week so by my reckoning it's unlikely he didn't pick it up at some point.

Regarding the list, I've 23 of them so I'm certainly not running out for a bin right now. I think the author is just targeting a pisstake campaign at certainl albums that will get maximum reaction when criticised.

Advertisement