Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death of Rdram here ?

• 08-10-2002 1:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,802 ✭✭✭✭

funny to see this in a way as I didn't think it would happen so soon, but with the release of the new intel chipsets today, and official support for ddr333, the benchmarks between a DDR and RD system are virtually dead heat (i expected the 1066 to still be ahead in all tests, but they've actually been beaten by the 333 boards in alot of benchmarks). Coupled with the fact that the boards could be overclocked to ddr400 relatively easily (which would surpass the 1066), is it worth buying rdram any more ?

loads of reviews on: Sudhian Media

The days when Performance on a p4 meant rdram seem to be numbered.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Well the i845G chipset has supported ddr333 for some time, though the new chipsets seem a little faster ok. It does look like the performance gap has been pretty much closed. Overclocking to 400 is fair enough, but notice the problems mobo manufacturers are having with pc400 ddr. Some boards slacken memory timings when pushed to 400, and most have problems running with more than 1 stick of ram.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

ddr400 isn't officially supported yet.. and a lot of boards won't run at all with it at that speed.

Anyway from what I read of the article (http://www.tech-report.com) I was actually quite impressed with Intels new offerings.. close to rdram performance in a lot of tests (i can't recall a test where it actually bet 1066 tho), and even more surprising Intels 845PE and the GE boards beat both the VIA and SiS chipsets (also 333mhz ddr) in the majority of tests.

Gerry.. the GE also has a higher graphics clock speed.. and shows a pretty decent improvement over the older chipset:
    http://www.tech-report.com/reviews/2002q4/i845pe-ge/index.x?pg=10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,802 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

the ddr400 problems seem to be with the kt400 via boards, and "look" like they've been solved with a bios update.

hothardware review was the one I read: http://www.hothardware.com/hh_files/Motherboards/p4pe_i845pe_ge.shtml

seemed to have no problem with ddr400 anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Yes, when intel want to get maximum performance out of their chipsets, they can certainly do so. For a long time, while they were pushing rambus, they didn't bother optimizing the performance of the original 845. But now they are taking ddr333 quite seriously, so they put in the effort.

Kali, the graphics performance is improved, but anyone playing games seriously is going to buy a proper graphics card anyway.

I'll now go and contradict that by saying that I've managed to get quake running ok with i810 onboard graphics. Still haven't gotten vsync turned off, but with a low fps config, I can get a solid 70 fps in quake3, even in fights. Its my college machine, and I'm waiting for someone to offer me a pci geforce2.

Advertisement