Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently reading ...

Options
  • 08-10-2002 9:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭

Executive Orders - Tom Clancy. Not his best.

Write right! - Name escapes me. Still a good book.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Felt like a bit of mindless fiction, so I am currently reading:
    Stephen King & Peter Straub's - Black House

1/4 the way in, it's fullfilling all expectations - mindless, but page-turning...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

'Vintage Stuff' by Tom Sharpe

It was given to me by a friend to read, I'm 70 pages in and am finding it highly amusing, I have laughed out loud on more than one occasion, which is always a good sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Just finished Enders Game by Orson Scott Card. Most enjoyable.

It's a bit weird reading though. You keep forgetting that they are kids.

off to look for the next in the series, Speaker for the dead I think it be called.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Feersum Endjinn - Iain M. Banks

Haven't gotten too far into it yet startin a bit slowly TBH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭scipio_major

Just started reading A Winter's Heart - Robert Jordan last night. Long time since I read the Wheel of Time before it and spent the first 3o or so pages trying to get the Tower Sedai straight in my mind.

Charlie Byrne's in Galway has a whole load of Winter's Hearts in new (remainder) paperback if anyone is interested.

Fade to Credits
    Scipio_major

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

'Consider Phlebas' - Iain M. Banks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Just finished Snowcrash by Neal Stephenson. IT WAS TEH WIN!
    Seriously though I found it very Gibsonish but with more emotional language and funnier. The universe he creates seems more real and concrete than Gibsons.

/me goes off to consume the rest of Stephenson's works

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

just finished Ivanhoe by Scott Walters was pretty good....

now reading Rob Roy by the same author

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

woody allen's complete prose. lost original copy and saw it republished in chapters. wickedly funny. well it's woody allen so I feel like a bit of a tool pointing out that it's funny but y'know.....

It's his syntax together with the complete nonsense that make for a wonderful reading experience.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

Following along in the Iain M Banks tradition: The Player Of Games. I have Thanx 4 The Fish to thank for the loaner...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Mikill

Just finished Black House.
    Gets very weird towards the end as you would expect.
    Started George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty Four.
    Almost finished it now as it is very short.
    Excellent book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭pyure

slightly between books atm...just finished 'Alien' - bad, bad book and still hacking my way through 'hitch hikers guide to the universe' (only have it on computer so dont get to read it for decent periods of time)

gonna go get the new tom clancy book i think (red rabbit?), loved every fiction book he's written so far - to whoever is readin exec. orders, its a class book :)

need to find a new fantasy series to get into - gettin annoyed waiting for the new Wheel of time books, and its starting to suck big time :(

if anyone wants to recommend something for me that'd be nice :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

For Work - Debugging Perl

For Entertainment - Fool's Errand, Robin Hobb

For Info - My American Journey, Colin Powell

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Diana Gabaldon - Cross Stitch
    ...better than I expected.

Ben Elton - Dead Famous
    ... just getting into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

A CARESS OF SHADOWS by Laurel K Hamilton

A brill new book 2nd ina new series.
    The 1st was the Anita Blake books well worth reading in fact vol. 1 to 7 are in the libary system but 8 and 9 were not published here too much for the censor apprently.

The new stuff is her writing style fully fleshed out, you could see it develope in the anita books which is fun .

they are set in modren times and the modren word with a few changes. Any fans of the whitewolf genre will love them.
    a lil supernatual, a fair bit of violence blood twists and a damn good female lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

angels by marian keyes
    everyone seems to be reading far more intelligent books than me...i always get slagged off for reading marian keyes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭qwidgybo

McCarthy's Bar-Pete McCarthy

pretty entertaining stuff....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

Originally posted by Bard
    Diana Gabaldon - Cross Stitch
    ...better than I expected.

i believe that was the series of books by that author. remember ordering a bunch of them for my mum :)

finished reading philip and alex's guide to web publishing. im currently in between books at the moment, some ones are better on certain days then others. (plato the laws, bosnia by television, and moby dick by melville)

adnans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Brian33

I'm reading The Blind Watchmaker-Richard Dawkins (a book about Darwinism), Holy Blood, Holy Grail-Baignent Leigh and Lincoln. Just finished Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger...brilliant book...read it.

~Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

The Gap series book 3: A Dark and Hungry God Arises by Stephen Donaldson. Almost finished with this and it's turning out to be one of the best sci-fi series I've ever read. All thanks to various individuals mentioning this series on other threads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭sixpack's little hat

Das Boot Lothar Gunther Buchheim

about half way through it
    a very good read

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Originally posted by Thanx 4 The Fish
    Feersum Endjinn - Iain M. Banks

Haven't gotten too far into it yet startin a bit slowly TBH

Just finished, thought it was complete pants, one character has all of his thoughts spelled phonically which get's a bit annoying, only satisfying thing I found was eventually getting through it.

Am onto second book in chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the future is looking bright :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭pauldeehan

Everything's Eventual by Stephen King. Quite good so far but not up to the standard of his other short story compilations.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Mythago

Just finished "Dark Rose" (can't remember the author) which was about the Palestinian(not protestant) invasion of Ireland!? And it was as daft as it sounds.... rubbish, but does demonstrate the somewhat narrow minded view some people have of Ireland!
    And I am just about to start the Assasin trilogy by Someone Hobbs, I think! Sorry but my memory has decided to go AWOL.....

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭pugwall

A God in Ruins - Leon Uris

Im impressed so far with the first 13 chapters.

What a great story teller

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭scipio_major

Just finished reading American Tabloid - James Ellroy (same guy who wrote LA Confidental). Very very good. Cubans and the CIA and FBI with JFK as a bit character.

Fade to Credits
    Scipio_major

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭McGinty

Just finished Marian Keynes 'last chance salon'. So thedrowner don't worry I think she's brilliant and very funny too.

I'm currently trying to finish 'Soul Music' by Terry Pratchett, I am not enjoying it, it keeps switching too much. However I have nearly finished it so I will perserve.

I've also just read John B.Keane 'Letters from a love hungry farmer', he is a fantastic storyteller, I cried with laughter and also cried with sadness in parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Principles of Irish Law (Doolan), Bunreacht na hÉireann and Oxford Dictionary of Law (all at the same time).

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭The_Scary_Man

"The Rise of Endymion" Dan Simmons

Excellent series of books.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Right at this moment im reading the 3rd book in the Farseer trilogy by Robin Hobb (fantastic!!!) Just read Robedrt Jordans book one of The Wheel of time series! Also fantastic. Also recently read Terry brooks final landover novel "a witches brew". And George RR Martins 3rd book of "A song of Ice and Fire"
    And Raymon E Feists Talon of the slver Hawk book 1 (new series) and his latest riftwar book (not the best!)

There are more but they are the main ones. Oh all are fantasy books by the way.

Advertisement