Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently reading ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

The Catcher in the Rye

just started it, always meant to read it just because it was one of those classic type books.

or something

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Just finished reading "So Long and Thanks For The Fish" by Douglas Adams, the 4th book in the Hitch Hiker series. probably my favourite of the books, though i haven't read Mostly Harmless yet.
    Dunno what to read now though-another Bukowski novel would be good (read "Ham On Rye" a while ago-brilliant)- or some Freud or Jung would be nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭johnnynolegs

am just finishing Talon of the Silver Hawk by Feist and am just starting stormrider by david gemmell
    Just finished Marian Keynes 'last chance salon'. So thedrowner don't worry I think she's brilliant and very funny too.

yep i read this last year and i was actually very surprised cos it was sooo good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Unjaku

'The Lathe of Heaven'
    Ursula le Guin

Just finished reading Phillip Pullman's 'Dark Materials' trilogy.

finished silver hawk am halfway through stormrider and have just started murder in lamut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

I'm 3/4 way through the last book in the Pullman Dark Materials trilogy.
    I've really enjoyed them it has to be said. I took them on holiday with me last week and got through them quite quickly. Your eyes are opened to the richness of his universe very nicely as the story progresses.

Davej

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ThenComesDudley

Just Finshed THE STRAW MEN by MICHEAL MARSHALL
    and AMERICAN GODS by Neil Gainman
    ( I Highly recomend you all check this book out. its the bees knees)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

At Swim Two Boys by Jamie O'Neill. About two gay teenage boys in south dublin around 1916.

The syntax is just classy - I'd say this guy has read plenty of flann o'brien in his time: it's of a similar vain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

William Gibson - Pattern Recognition

Set this time in the present, has mentions of Sept 11th. Just started it, saving it for my flight tomorrow.

Book released in Feb 2003 btw :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 SandraP

Joseph Conrad - Nostromo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

Originally posted by yellum

has mentions of Sept 11th.....saving it for my flight tomorrow.

way-hey!! sounds like fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

Originally posted by Mythago
    , but does demonstrate the somewhat narrow minded view some people have of Ireland!

Which reminds me ...... just finished 'An Intelligent Person's guide to Modern Ireland' by John Waters.

A must read if you've never had faith in our governments and their 'solutions' of selling us as cheap intellectual labour to multinational corporations, then similtaneously insulting us by saying we are a progressive and autonomous nation whose destiny remains in our own hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

Originally posted by yellum

Set this time in the present, has mentions of Sept 11th. Just started it, saving it for my flight tomorrow.

Book released in Feb 2003 btw :)
    explain yourself?

adnans

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Killing Pablo by Mark Bowden.
    This guy was one ruthless bastard..

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭xern

Nemisis by bill napiar.

Great book. i'd recommend it!

just started the wheel of time looking forward to it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

the wheel of time rocks :) be prepared for a long wait between books though.. but if you'reonly starting you have another 10 books before that becomes an issue for you.

i'm reading a book called Sabriel, by Garth Nix .. anyone ever heard of it? only on page 4 now :)

exactly i am only on book 1 and it has 700+ pages so it will be at least a week before i get to book 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭oeNeo

Finished reading the Rama collection a few months ago, then read The Catcher in the Rye (for about the 3rd time). Just finished reading The Stand last night, excellent read! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

The Horse with My Name by Colin Batemen, quite enjoyable. Just finished Espedair Street by ian banks, thought it was Ok but it took me a while to get into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Black House - Stephen King & Peter Straub.
    Quite enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Lord of the Flies - William Golding

Stupid White Men by Michael Moore

Its pretty good, funny and serious at the same time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Sticky

I finished Perdido Street Station by China Mieville a while ago and it's a great read. I found it refreshing different for a 'fantasy' book, well worth checking out.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

'A Frolic of His Own' by William Gaddis.

Gaddis is a headwrecker. His style is all unattributed dialogue. Worth it though, despite the fact it's a long haul.

Bravo two zero By Andy McNab.

on page 81 now but its keeping my interest!!

good so far!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Just finishing Naomi Klein's new one, 'Fences and Windows: Dispatches From the Front Lines Of the Globalization Debate'.

It doesn't come close to the scope No Logo but as a loosely themed collection of her lively and impassioned news articles and speeches, it's well worth reading. She gets across the problems, ideas and issues fuelling the movement with such accessible (and modestly polemic) clarity that even my Dad expressed an interest in reading it!

Next on the chopping block is 'Why Do People Hate America?'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

Originally posted by DadaKopf
    ... lively and impassioned ...

Are you reading that off the back cover? :D

Just finished Brighton Rock by Graham Greene, liked it a lot. Gonna start Perfume by Patrick Suskind soon...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

No, if I hadda been, I'd have used the word 'rollocking'.

Wow, Perfume. That book's capital. It's un-notreadable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

coming up to the finish of matt reilly's area 7

Advertisement