Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Squad for Switzerland Match

• 08-10-2002 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

Shay Given, Dean Kiely, Nicky Colgan;

Ian Harte, Jeff Kenna, Gary Breen, Gary Kelly, Ken Cunningham, John O'Shea, Andy O'Brien, Phil Babb;

Mattie Holland, Colin Healy, Mark Kinsella, Lee Carsley, Rory Delap, Steve McPhail, Kevin Kilbane;

Robbie Keane, Clinton Morrison, Damien Duff.

Does anyone else get the feeling that McCarthy is going to play Duff and Keane up front again with Clin-ton starting on the bench?

have accepted the fact that Ian Harte will play regardless of how sh*te he is but why not play John O'Shea?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

OH god Kilbane is still there :rolleyes:

All we can hope for is the new manager of Sunderland to give Kevo a elongated stay on the bench to help keep him off the Ireland team.

Gandalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Glad to see that Colin Healy in the squad, would love to see Mc Phail in there with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

We can only hope Gandalf! We can only hope.

But then again maybe McCarthy will take the Sunderland job?

Oh Mc Phail is in there ;-) but will he get a run out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Then Dave O leary take over Ireland.

• Advertisement

Yeah! Now we're talking!

Oh yeah Gary Doherty is in the squad too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭Serbian

I doubt McCarthy is going to up and leave at this stage. If Peter Reid had gone before the qualification campaign had started, I think there might have been a chance. McCarthy is not going to leave as Ireland manager with the 4-2 defeat Vs Russia still in the back of everyones mind. The whole rumour of McCarthy taking over Sunderland was probably started by the pro-Roy Keane camp so they can see him back in the squad again.

As for the squad now, the only left wingers in the squad are Kilbane and Duffer. (Maybe McPhail, but I really can't see him starting). As for left backs, Kenna is in there, but again, I can't see him starting.

I don't see McAteer in the squad there, is he dropped/injured or did you just forget him. If he isn't in there, maybe Delap up the right? Or can Healy slot in there?

I hope to see O'Shea starting right back as he has done for ManYoo on a number of occasions this season with the absense of Gary Neville. However, the position will probably go to Gary Kelly :(

Well, based on the squad there, likely 11: Given, Harte, Kelly, Cunningham, Breen, Kilbane, Delap, Holland, Kinsella, Duff, Keane.

I'm just thanking God I don't see Phil Babb's name in there...

Peter

Unfortunately Babb is in there, McAteer is injured (stomach tear)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Wheres Ronaldo????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭BKtje

Didnt i read somwhere here that G. Kelly was getting the right mid slot?
    or was id reaming :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

I'd rather see Kelly there then Delap. I rate Delap up there with kilbane and will despair if they both start.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Steven Reid injured or just out of favour? And only two strikers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭Serbian

Originally posted by B-K-DzR
    Didnt i read somwhere here that G. Kelly was getting the right mid slot?
    or was id reaming :rolleyes:

Well, if that's true then there is hope for O'Shea getting the right back slot, though someone did quote McCarthy saying that O'Shea is putting pressure on the regular centre backs so maybe he won't consider him for a right back slot.

If that's the case then looks like Delap or Kenna will be in the right back slot.

BTW Is it not a 23 man squad? I only count 21 in the first post, are there people missing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Spud

god i hate kilbane and O shea in the squad its about time hes in there.wheres alan kelly?

It's a 22 Man Squad from the FAI (I forgot to include Gary Doherty in the first post)

BTW Stephen Reid is injured

FAI Squad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

wheres alan kelly?

Sorry to break it to ya but he retired along with Quinn and Staunton after the WC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭Stinkah

1. Given
    2. O' Shea ( right back )
    3. Harte ( left back )
    4. Cunningham ( centre-half )
    5. Breen ( centre-half )
    6. Healy ( centre mid-field )
    7. Kelly ( outside right )
    8. Holland ( centre mid-field )
    9. Morrison ( striker )
    10. Keane ( striker )
    11. Duff ( outside left )

With everybody fit and the main man back this is the ideal team I'd like to see, with positions corresponding to above.

1. given
    2. Finnan
    3. harte/kelly
    4. O' Shea
    5. Cunningham
    6. Keano
    7. Carr
    8. Healy
    9. Morrison
    10. Keane
    11. Duffer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Kenna's brought in because McCarthy is panicking. Without Staunton, his hacking and slashing in a attempt to get a good solid defence again. His not confident of the current back 4. His inclusion of Babb(WTF?)and Kenna shows this.

Still, nice to see Kenna again. I was always partial to him.

My back five would be:

Given(Obviously)

Kelly(Right Back)Breen(Centre Half)Cunningham(Centre half)Kenna(left back)

Midfield would be:

Harte(Right or left...Yes, I am starting Ian Harte in midfield)Healy(Centre Right)Holland(Centre Left)Duff(Left Wing)

Strikers:

Morrison and Keane.

Enough said :)

O' Brien and O' Shea as Subs. I'd surely play them in the Second half. Maybe Kilbane and Delap also in the Second half.

Harte would cross them in from the Right or Left. Kelly to change his place if he is unsatisfactory and O' Shea to feel the gap in defence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Spud

1. Given 2.O shea 3.FInnan 4.Harte 5.cunninham. 6.Reid 7.healy 8.holland 9.morrision 10.keane 11.duff

It's a pity Reid is injured :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭robz150

My Choice

1. Given

2.Kelly 5.cunningham. 4. O'Shea 3.Harte

6.Duff 7.healy 8.holland 11.kilbane

9.morrision 10.keane

McCarthys Choice
    1. Given

2.Kelly 5.cunninham. 4. Breen 3.Harte

6. Delap 7.Carsley 8.holland 11.kilbane

9.Duff 10.keane

Ideal
    1. Given

2.Carr 5.Cunninham. 4. O'Shea 3.Finnan

6. Reid 7.Keane 8.holland 11.Duff

9.Morrison 10.keane

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭The_Scary_Man

There is a lot of talk in the papers this morning that McCarthy is going "to remain loyal to the players from the World Cup".

When is this ass4ole going to learn that while loyalty is an admirable quality successful teams need to evolve and change as their resources change.

How long is he going to use this line to cover his unwillingness shed the old guard and allow the young guns to come through.

For the World Cup he remained loyal to the players that got him there, fair enough though I didn't agree with it then either, but now he's staying with the players who did so well in the World cup.

How long can this go on? At this rate the same team will be playing in 20 years shuffling around in Zimmer frames ffs. It seems the only way to lose a place in a McCarthy squad is to retire.

This sh1t is really starting to frustrate me now.

First off John O'Shea looks like he will be starting on the bench. Being an LFC supporter I don't generally hand out praise to MU players too readily but O'Shea has been outstanding for ManU in the games he has played in so far this season and looking at Breen's form for West Ham then this makes this decision doubly strange.

Secondly (and perhaps even more bizarre) is the talk that Carsley will get the RM slot ahead of Stephen McPhail or Colin Healy.

NEWSFLASH McCARTHY!! CARSLEY IS NOT INTERNATIONAL MATERIAL!!

Thirdly Duff will probably start up front again despite FIFA statistics showing that we played our best football in the World Cup with him on the wing. Not that anyone who watched the games needed stats to highlight this.

I totally agree with you Scary_Man!

Advertisement