Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

OMG Breen to keep his place!

• 08-10-2002 1:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭

Football 365 are reporting mick as saying he will not start O'Shea!

He will stick with the WestHam reserve, Gary Breen, over O'Shea, desipte him being virtually ever present in this seasons United team, and playing well in the champions league etc.

I think he (O'shea) is being made to suffer for Uniteds support for Roy Keane! It just doesnt make sense otherwise.
    There is no football reason to support this team selection.

X

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Serbian

It is possible McCarthy could start O'Shea in the right back position, as that is where he has played most for Man Utd. (Although he will get a run in centre while Rio is out). As for Breen keeping his place, practically every time I have watched Match of the Day I see Breen doing something stupid, costing West Ham a goal. I don't rate him highly, but he does have the international experience that someone like O'Shea or O'Brien lacks, which is more likely why he isn't starting rather than all the Roy Keane paranoia.

Peter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

having been to all West Hams home games this season I can tell you that he really has been very good, but he has his age old problem of making a mistake here and there..

West Hams problem right now is that they are making such mistakes all over the team..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

John O'Shea has done very well for Manchester United this season," said McCarthy.
    "That is why he is in the squad and putting pressure on those vying for the central defensive roles."

Putting Pressure?????? ffs he should be an automatic,oh well i suppose what does Alex Ferguson know that Mick Doesnt

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭BKtje

guess thats why Ferguson is a good manager while Mick is ****e

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I cannot believe this - are u sure he not goin to play him!! If he is going to be that fukn stupid I may as well pull out the Swiss jersey!!

Can anyone clarify that O'Shea supports Keane. This is a view that I have not thought of. Is he that petty

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

There are two central defenders starting week in week out for top five premiership clubs, and Mick is going with Gary Breen. This will never make sense to me. As regards international experience, if Mick does not pick the likes of O Shea for games like Finland, how is he to get international experience. Mick has never been afraid of trying younsters before, so I do think it is because of the United link.

God knows when Keith O Neill and David Connolly and Ian Harte were breaking into the team he persisted with them even when they were sh*te.

Gary Breen does start "week in and week out" for his club

That said, I would almost go for Andy O'Brian at Newcastle before John O'Sea anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 danny da langer

Breen is not that bad of a defender but O'Shea is a far superior player, a fact recognized by the entire footballing world except McCarthy.

Still Breen and Cunningham are good enough at the back but the midfield is very weak. Holland gets run all over and is only good for the odd goal, he is not even creative like McPhail is.

But the real crime is playing Duff up front with Kevin Kilbane on the left wing. The best player is being played out of his position by the worst player. What other international manager would do something like this? It's crazy. If Duff played in his natural position we would win every game in this group and nevermind the other donkeys like Breen and Harte who should not be in there in the first place. We would still trash everyone.

strange how everyone has forgotton about the fact O'Brien is 23 and has over 150 first team Premiership and Div 1 games so far (inc Uefa Cup and Champions League) games under his belt and are shouting for John OShea is only 21, who has only really just broken thru and does not even have 35/40 first team games yet..

O'Brien and O'Shea are the pairing of the future, but if you ask me its Cunningham and not Breen we need to get rid of!

Totally agree with ya about o bRIEN,sure he broke into Brafords First Team at the age of 16.Him an Oshea are defo the future so Mik needs to start giving them a game here and there to build up expeirence,if we fail to qualify for Portugal Breen and cunningham must go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭Congoose

I think that the form O'Shea has been in justifies a place in the team, but I'm more worried about the midfield.

Holland hasn't been getting on the ball, or tackling enough. The Russians built-up most of their attacks by going straight through the centre of the Irish midfield, they were getting right up to Ireland's defence without any effort.

I'd like to see Colin Healy playing, he's much more likely to get on the ball and get stuck in, although I doubt he will get in to the team much while he's not getting picked for his club.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

guess thats why Ferguson is a good manager while Mick is ****e

Mc Carthy has done a great job in fairness.
    To make a statement like the above is utter nonsence.
    He has done well with a limited degree of talent in the Irish setup.
    I wonder if you decided he is a ****e manager AFTER the Roy Keane fiasco?

I cant think of many managers who would have got us out of our WC qual group and go on and have a great WC under such incredible strain DO YOU?
    True hes not perfect,ie O Shea should be in always ahead of Breen,Kilbane is terrible while Mick obviously loves him etc, but to say the man is a ****e manager is ---- well,,,, i find it hard to put into words.

I'd like to see Colin Healy
    He is not playing at all for his club tho :(

Breen may have started the last few games but up to the Russia match had played 27 minutes of Premiership football this season. We obviously have different definitions of starting " week in week out ". Also he has been at least partly to blame for a few goals since he has got in the team. Hence I was calling for O Shea and O Brien to start. I would rank Cunningham ahead of Breen too for that matter.

I wonder if you decided he is a ****e manager AFTER the Roy Keane fiasco?

I always Taught Mick was Crap and i was gutted when he was appointed,his play off failures to Belgium and Turkey hardened my case for his dismissal,His one good year blinds people to the previous crap five.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

McCarthy is a yes man - Jack Wanbe Irishman loved him so that is why he got the job when it came up.
    Quinn is another annoying yesman, he drives me ****n mad with his I only want to make up with this man that man, he is always the so called peace maker, he tried it with Merson and he got put back in his box, he tried it again with Keane and we saw what happened to that.

O'Leary will hardly take it as he does not like the way the FAI is run.

At the end of the day, Keane will not come back, u still have menton and all them heros at the FAI left even if mcfarty goes.

http://www.whufc.com/player.asp?PLAYER=1730#optastats Given I was at the games Breen played in London, and opta agree with me, I can say hand on heart you are wrong :)

Breen is a second rate player one good game doesnt change that.Theres a reason he has spent his whole career in either the first divison or fighting relagation in the premiership.

You will have to remove your hand from your heart as I have just checked it out. He did not feature at all against Newcastle or Charlton in the first and third game of the season and only came on in the 69th minute against Arsenal in the second game. There was then the international break for the Russia match. As regards his fault for goals I may not have been at the games but I have been watching Match of Th Day and he was definitely at fault for at least one in the last couple of games.

Advertisement