Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nirvana - 'Best Of' CD

Options
  • 08-10-2002 4:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭

oh my ****ing god !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

does anyone have one of those microsoft mice with a lil button just left of the left mouse button ? its positioned just where your thumb would rest and is incrediably sensitive...anyways, if pressed it hits the back button on your browser

now, it had written a **** load on the new nirvana cd, when...*bam*, back i go :(

now im too pissed off to retype it all again...this thread'll be updated later....

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

well?
    if I have already got everything they released, why would I buy this one?
    secret tracks that were stashed away and have just been found?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

no. bring out the unreleased stuff. i have everything else

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Is it gonna be a box set or a cd? I heard rumours about both, but I'd imagine there will only be one. Anyway, I'd say the number of new tracks vs. old tracks will be small :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Snip182

This is supposedly the tracklist:

'You Know You're Right'
    'About A Girl'
    'Been A Son'
    'Sliver'
    'Smells Like Teen Spirit'
    'Come As You Are'
    'Lithium'
    'In Bloom'
    'Heart-Shaped Box'
    'Pennyroyal Tea'
    'Rape Me'
    'Dumb'
    'All Apologies'
    'The Man Who Sold The World'

Though Courtney Love's lawyer says it is not the right one.It comes out October 28th in Britain,maybe November 11 here dunno

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

It could well be out before the UK, That happens alot. The Uk gets an album on a Monday, and we get it the Friday before. e the 25th October

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Okie

Though Courtney Love's lawyer says it is not the right one.It comes out October 28th in Britain,maybe November 11 here dunno

Yeah, I read that Love's manager said the tracklisting was wrong and that there would be "different versions " on the album. Apparently the "remastering is breath-taking" :rolleyes:

In other news...Dave Grohl said there will be a Nirvana album coming out featuring material that "no one’s ever heard".

I got all this stuff of www.nme.com

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Seems to be a lot of bull**** going on, most people who have all the studio albums won't buy it, while some might buy it just for YKYR. A box set mixing previously releasead and unreleased stuff woulf be nice, although those rumours have been going around for years now, the Greatest Hits album is more commercial, more money-making (ie more casual fans will buy it than would a box set), so is obviously more plausible to all those who stand to make money from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭pyure

basically, this cd is just another blow to 'real' nirvana fans

its good to see nirvana stuff coming out again, its great music...however i have the following problems

1. Contents

only 1 track from bleach ? been a son ? no drain you ? silly silly people. Muddy Banks is much better
    YKYR is cool, but just go buy the single instead
    also, european buyers are getting an extra track - where did you sleep last night, and a possible hidden track (rumours have it it could be Sappy)

2. Length

the 14 tracks last about 48min 30....thats around 28mins of unused space on the cd. thats disgraceful imo, a greatest hits album should be crammed to the rafters

3. The Fact it Exists in the First Place

Where's our box set ??? promised for the start of this year, its now 2004 :(

good points, it'll get alot more people interested, great for 'the kids'

Next year they're releaseing a Rareities album, and a box set the year after

hopefully these will be better - things like full rare shows, full demo sessions and video/dvd would be cool.

i aint gonna buy this, like i said Muddy Banks is just better
    i will buy the single tho, ykyr is a very cool song.

pyure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Pep

I agree exactly.

The best of is just being used by Courtney Love to get out of the Hole record contract because she gave the rights to whatever label she was on so they wont sue her and the best of is the cheapest easy way to gat the millions of causual Nirvana fans to buy the album and the single new song is to catch the old fans

The box set will be a better option to get itl just be a bit more of a wait, wots s few more years anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Kurdt

its out here on the 11th november...simply called 'nirvana'...and next year (according to dave grohl) there'll be a cd released with stuff nobodys ever heard before on it!

and a box set as well before the end of next year...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

"Death to the Pixies" - The Pixies (4AD, 1997).....

The video for 'You Know Your Right' is now available at www.mtv.com for those of you with good connections.

its also being premiered on MTV Europe this Tuesday, thats the 15th i think

the song is currently rated 55 in the billboard top 100 chart, despite the fact that it remains unreleased, which is kinda cool

so there ya go, watch out for the vid, its supposed to be a classic :)

Originally posted by pyure
    its also being premiered on MTV Europe this Tuesday, thats the 15th i think

nice one. does that include all the MTV's in Europe or just MTV Europe which we don't get anymore

how did it get into the top 100 if it hasnt been released yet do bootleged copies count as chart sales?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Originally posted by Mossy Monk
    nice one. does that include all the MTV's in Europe or just MTV Europe which we don't get anymore

to answer my own question

MTV2 now have a Nirvana Exclusive thing in the top right corner.it says to tune in tomorrow. no mention of the time though

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

i dunno if this was said already up there sumwher,im too lazy to bother readin the rest, but, the box-set was originally planned for the end of 98 i believe. and then courtney got alll horny and decided to start f*ckin everyone else in the ass.as usual.I know krist had most of the stuff for it ready at that stage anyway.

for times and s*it on the mtv exclusives runnin this week check:
    http://www.nirvanaclub.com/news

bye.

**the best of shud be out in ireland this friday me thinks since it's out in england on the 28th

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

eh, pyure... when you accidentally went 'back' in your browser, you should have just clicked "forward" and your post should have still been there...

anyway, regarding Nirvana, any true BEST OF for them would have to be a double album.

Originally posted by Bard
    eh, pyure... when you accidentally went 'back' in your browser, you should have just clicked "forward" and your post should have still been there...

anyway, regarding Nirvana, any true BEST OF for them would have to be a double album.

Making a single best of disc would be a nightmare job for me. I don't think I could!

A double disc - still would be a tight squeez!

A double cd would make no sence cos theyve only three albums of original matierial and a few new songs on unplugged and you cub probably fit althose on to two cds and youve all nirvanas released songs minus a bit of filler and wot wud the sense in that be.

Neway wots the point in nirvana fans buying this best of we all have those songs this best of is only meant for casual fans

• Advertisement

several points - first off, when i hit forward it said page no longer available or some ****, anyways nm

next off -
    Making a single best of disc would be a nightmare job for me. I don't think I could!

i could :p and it'd kick the **** outta the one they're puttin out now

third, the 'new' stuff that dave grohl says no-one's ever heard before has all been heard before, i can pretty much guarantee.
    ok, so there's a handful of finished nirvana tracks that havent surfaced yet, and hours of kurt jamming and lil riffs he wrote, but the rest of any 'rareties' album will all be easily available on bootlegs

eg sappy, old age, money will roll right in, blandest, bambi slaughter, spank thru, opinion, i hate myself and want to die, token easter song, marigold, moist vagina, the extreme, misery loves company, etc etc etc

gotta run, laters

im gonna point sum things out:
    1.the version of old age circulating is only a 1:10 minute clip taken from a s*ite real audio source.

2.None of the Fecal Matter demo is circulating.Granted Mike Ziegler has a copy he got from Dale Crover but he isn't trading it.

3.the version of "been a son" on the "best of" is taken from the blew e.p. and not incestici.it is substantialy better than the version on incesticide.

4.The remasters on this album are very good.especially for the older stuff (pre-nevermind).

5.Any stuff officially released would be of a much better sound quality than bootlegs that have songs sourced from someones tape that they got of a friend who has a cousin who's mother knows a person who new kurts cat and found the tape stuck up its ass.

Well I bought the cd in HMV on Henry Street last Friday so whoever is looking at 11th of November is lookin in the wrong place.Yes this is just another part of Courtneys crusade to get as much out of nirvana as possible but the remasters and YKNR make it worth the money I.M.O.

dregin

Originally posted by dregin-x
    Well I bought the cd in HMV on Henry Street last Friday so whoever is looking at 11th of November is lookin in the wrong place.Yes this is just another part of Courtneys crusade to get as much out of nirvana as possible but the remasters and YKNR make it worth the money I.M.O.

dregin

Do the remasters really make it worth buying if you already own all of the albums? Also, can you verify for once and for all if the version on the CD is the same as the one being circulating on the net? It clocks in at 3mins 35secs-ish.

Also I've seen loadsa ads on the tele saying it is out this Monday.

Despite Jim Barbers endless spouting of bull**** ,yes, the version on the cd is exactly the same as that on the net (the cd version has superior sound quality of course).
    For about a girl and Been a son the masters are very noticeable and do make for a huge improvement.For teen spirit the drums in the intro have been brought up quite a bit.the others arent really all that noticeable but i think they are clearer.also the version of penny royal tea is the remix by scott litt done for thepenny royal tea single.
    Whether you buy the record or not is 50-50.It doesnt really live upto its title, what with at least 25 minutes extra space left on the cd.Apparently there are to be 6 extra trax on the japanese version as opposed to the one which we got here in europe (where did you sleep last night).If you can get it on the cheap, it mite be a good idea to wait and get that instead(providing the rumours of the 6 trax are true)
    As far as the release date goes, anything that comes out in england on the Monday is always out in Ireland the Friday before.

dregin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Kopf

Nirvana are over-rated and paid too much attention.

In order of importance:
    Jesus Christ
    Gary Newman
    The Frogs

yehh that's about right..

Originally posted by Pep
    theyve only three albums of original matierial and a few new songs on unplugged

Four Albums - three studio albums, all their own material (Bleach, Nevermind, In Utero), and then Incesticide with fifteen songs, twelve of which are Nirvana originals.
    Originally posted by Kopf
    Nirvana are over-rated and paid too much attention.

Really, what's the point in coming on to a thread, obviously populated by Nirvana fans (as a majority), and saying something like that?

Originally posted by dun_do_bheal
    all their own material (Bleach

"love Buzz" is a shocking blue cover.

dregin

Originally posted by dregin-x
    "love Buzz" is a shocking blue cover.

Hehe, I counted the amount of tracks that were original Nirvana on the Incesticide so I couldn't be shot down, and I go and stupidly slip that simple mistake in :rolleyes:

:D

umm, lets see

first off, 5 albums - the 3 studio, 1 mostly nirvana and 1 live - unplugged...mostly covers but i think nirvana, or mostly kurt, made the songs their own - as with most of the covers they did.

2nd, to dregin-x...who mentioned fecal matter ? ... if ur talking about bambi slaughter, then they played it live enough for studio practices to have taken place imo
    and yes, the old age we have is 1:20 or whatever but we still know the song and off course all versions on a rareties album are gonna be better than live, but its not really new songs that dave grohl is so excited about

i have the album, bought the day it came out :p, and i have to say - yes it is pretty good, the remasters of been a son, about a girl (good choice of the blew LP version) and sliver are well done, but im still bitterly disappointed
    ive been waiting for something like this since 98, and im well annoyed about the choice of songs and tghe time left on the cd.
    where the **** is drain you ????? kurts favourite song (and mine) left off of a greatest hits cd ? silly silly people

and on the love buzz cover thingy....nirvana made the song their own, hell it was their first single. its practically an origionally because of the way it was played and sung...cobain was a god and could project his emotion into any song he sang

finally, its so nice to see a thread full off nirvana fans in ireland :)

and nirvana are not over-rated...they were the most influencal band of the nineties - dont believe me ? name one other band that made the impact they did ? no ? well there ya go then :p

cant wait for the rareties album and box set

• Advertisement

oh, and spank thru (studio version easoiy available) and suicide samauri (recorded at the KAOS radion session 87) are also supposed to be on facal matter...to drunk to think straight right now, but i think thats right. oh and laminating effect is on kaos as well i think, but as an untitled track...so who knows

Advertisement