Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB / Parallel probs

• 08-10-2002 9:22pm
    Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭
    byte

Basically, nothing seems to work, either USB or Parallel.

My printer is parallel (as is scanner) and wont' work with parallel. Keep getting communication errors. So I changed lead to no avail. Scanner don't work either.

Then I visited Marx Computers and bought a "USB to IEEE-1284 Printer Cable" to see if that would work but nothing. Nada. The PC won't even Post when I plug in the USB lead (in either port).

What would be wrong?

Something that came to my mind whilst on IRC earlier is the possibility that my OS's are the problem...

Basically, I had 98SE instaled. Then I installed W2K thinking that it would overwrite 98 but instead it installed alongside it so that I can now boot with either OS. But would there be a conflict? Or maybe something can be fixed in BIOS? I can't see anything of relevance except Legacy USB support which is On.

BTW, and i know this doesn't help the situ, my PC is Gateway! :(

Any help appreciated

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

ya ..

possible solutions are this..

if u reset the bios to plug and play OS

this will reset the IRQ assignments in win2k.. if
    ur pc is identified as a standard pc..

,u can manually reset this in the device manager..

change ACPI pc to standard pc ..

Sounds also like chipset identification problem
    cause of problem communication on IO operations

via parallel and USB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

install proper motherboard drivers also

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Hi

As for resetting my BIOS to Plug & Play, I already have set my BIOS to that.

How to I change it in Device Manager? ACPI to Standard?:confused:
    Sounds also like chipset identification problem
    cause of problem communication on IO operations via parallel and USB

Dunno what this means! I am not very tech-minded!

Plus I've never installed mobo drivers before. new to me. Should I flash the BIOS (not something I would liek to do)???

Thanx for the help so far...

Advertisement