Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Networking through Power Lines ?

Options
  • 09-10-2002 10:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭

link

how does this technology work ? and is it effecient ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

afaik it works by sending the network signal at a different frequency than the DC is running at. I could only speculate that it works very well, presuming the wiring in your house isnt completely knackered :D. If it works as well as some of the manufacturers are saying it does its a viable alternative to wireless or traditional wired networking at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

But its only 14mb/s ... only marginally faster than wireless ... and AFAIK you can get wireless networking kit cheaper ... or for the same price as this stuff you could get 802.11a gear .. (I am of course assuming that the prices will magically increase as the product slowly crosses the Atlantic) ...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

As far as the technology goes regards broadband iirc ESB done tests back in '99 in this field.. at that stage the power supply was deemed to be too erratic (i.e. not smooth enough) to allow proper data transmission.. hadn't seen it for a home network before though, where it might be a lot more suitable (saves cat5 all over the house).. but still I'd be wary about it harming sensitive electrical equipment.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Kli got it in one there... there is talk of it going again but i doubt it will happen any time soon and the ESB have wrapped fiber round their lines now so id say they wont bother with it

SSomebody i know explined the whole thing one day but there were **** loads of problems not including the eratic supply

Advertisement