Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should everyone be obliged to vote

Options
  • 09-10-2002 2:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭

A lot of people who are in favour of holding the Nice referandum seem to think it's fair as while the majority of the people who voted chose not to ratify Nice the majority of the population didn't. In light of the laughably low turnouts in recent elections should we introduce a system here whereby it's obligatory to vote?
    Personally I'm for this. I think the rise of the extreme right in europe has more to do with the fact that all the extremists vote and people with less pronounced views stay at home. As such these extremists get a disproportionate say in government. If everyone had to vote these people would only get the level of political representation that they actually merit. This system is currently in operation in Australia and I think in Belgium and appears to work. Anyway what does everyone here think.

Advertisement