Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Email on the move ... best option ?

Options
  • 09-10-2002 3:47pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

My dad is heading off to brazil on the 20th, he wants a handheld device that he will be able to write and send emails and maybe do some browsing. Some kind of phone I assume, any ideas as to the best option for this ?

Would it have to dial-up or would it be always on ?

Slaan.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

this perhaps ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

nice gizmo, but he won't be in the house and would like to access his indigo email. And he will be in Brazil :)

Slaan.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I wouldn't say the telcos in Brazil are that hot, and if he was roaming it may not be supported or if it was, it'd cost a bomb

A lot of phones now support pop/smtp email, like the siemens m50.

But it all depends on the telcos in brazil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

mail.yahoo.com

set it to check his pop3 mail

send from yahoo if he must

brazil has netcafes all over

M

oh and my dad's in a wheelchair, so getting around isn't easy.

Slaan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭oneweb

Originally posted by Muck

mail.yahoo.com

set it to check his pop3 mail

send from yahoo if he must

Yahoo started charging for POP3 access a few months ago :mad:

It is what it's.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

www.mail2web.com is a good site to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by Frank_Grimes
    www.mail2web.com is a good site to use.

yip

it can be set up with multiple accounts too-
    eg https://www.mail2web.com/yourusername
    it then remembers your pop3 settings for each server..
    you select which email you want to check from a dropdown list, enter your password and off you go

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

Originally posted by oneweb
    Yahoo started charging for POP3 access a few months ago :mad:
    when did yahoo last let you check your e-mail through pop3? i suspect it's more than a few months ago.

anyway Muck was referring to the fact, that he could set up yahoo to download his mail from his current ISP. thereby enabling him to check his mail on-line, on the move in any net cafe anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

I hadn't used mail2web in a while...now I know, very clunky interface but does allow 10Mb attachments where yahoo limits you to 4Mb (/me gets 10 as a Yahoo of long and good standing)

I checked the Yahoo signup again coz I thought it was Hotmail that charged for POP3 collection .

Go to

http://mail.yahoo.com

Unticked all the newsletter and options to register for yadayada

got into my folders on next screen ...now see the Mail Options link top right.

Go in there

Select Check Other (POP) mail

Now its set up. The only reservation I have is that it checks the same mail over and over because it builds up on your 'home' server unless you UNTICK the leave mail on server option when setting up the pop account checking. Then it will be deleted as it is removed TO Yahoo but with the risk that an attachment of 4Mb or so will bollox everything up.

So YAHOO still checks POP3 mail for free for new signups .

The same usename and password will work for Yahoo Instant Messenger if he wants a natter with anyone while online. Thats a key advantage over mail2web shich does not have an associated IM program.

Yahoo give you 4Mb free storage unlike that POS hotmail which gives you 2Mb only.

Here are some potentially useful extra options available that you have to PAY for......see the last one!

Mail Extra Storage
    Are you a power email user? Upgrade to a 25MB mailbox for only $19.99 per year.
    http://billing.mail.yahoo.com/ym/esordering1

SpamGuard™
    Yahoo! Mail now comes with free SpamGuard™. SpamGuard™ identifies email sent in bulk and will deliver those messages to your Bulk Mail Folder instead of your Inbox.

Virus Scanning
    Yahoo! Mail has teamed up with Symantec, the makers of Norton AntiVirus, to provide all Yahoo! Mail users with free virus scanning. You can scan attachments for harmful viruses and protect your computer.

Yahoo! By Phone
    Listen to your Yahoo! Mail messages from any phone with the Yahoo! by Phone service. Includes voicemail that you can listen to from your Yahoo! Mail account or any phone. Get all of this plus much more for only $4.95 per month. Sign up now and get your first month free!

M

• Advertisement

hehe, kinda straying off the topic a bit lads :)

Slaan.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Well, if phone call costs are no object, my phone the Sony J7, lets you dial up and check mail from any pop3 server that allows outside access. By the same token, mail should be sendable, but I;ve never done it. Only problem is that it's a phone, so mail's would have to be typed, text message style, ugh. Great phone though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

You can't go wrong with http://www.hushmail.com - Fully ecrypted email for the security conscious!

;-)

/Kone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭oneweb

Originally posted by nahdoic
    Muck was referring to the fact, that he could set up yahoo to download his mail from his current ISP. thereby enabling him to check his mail on-line, on the move in any net cafe anywhere.

My apologies. Was thinking of pop access as opposed to pop retrieval.

It is what it's.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I use the Ericsson R380.

It's a combined phone/pda and you can use it to send/recieve POP3 e-mail. It is dial-up, not continous connection. It has a touch sensitive screen, so messages (including SMS) can be either "written" onto the screen with a stylus, or tapped out (again with the stylus). I have sent/recieved my e-merge e-mail from France (sad little man that I am) and I know you can roam with Vodafone in Brazil.

HTH,

TD.

Advertisement