Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hidden Features in OSX

• 09-10-2002 6:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

In just looking for hidden features in OSX.

One great thing I noticed (especially if you are multilingual) is to be able to change the language of any application. Pretty much all of the Apple and Microsoft apps are miltlingual in about ten different languages.

To access them, click on an aplication (Not classic or carbon) and press command-i or click "Get Info" from the menu. Choose languages from the popup menu, and presto, there's your choice. Unclick "English" and whatever next language that was specified in Your System Preferences "Intermational" Setting, will be the next language used. Now after all the bull****, here's where it gets good.....

An application in OSX is an fact a folder! Yes, and to access the contents just control-click the icon, and click in "Open Package" or something like that, and then it will open up a new window with the contents. Inside is a folder called "Resources" and inside that is where the languages are kept. If you want to play around and be patriotic (by turning a uncommon language into rish), rename a folder that ends in .lproj (?) to Irish.lproj or whatever extension is used, and edit the information inside. Alternatively, you can just edit the strings s that instead of it saying "Get Mail..." in Mail, you can change it to "Let's see how much junk mail I got today" - Ithink you get the picture. Any more ideas on the other files inside the Package are welcome

How do you rate the new OSX Operating System? 8 votes

Brilliant! All computers should be like this!!
    0% 0 votes
    Looks good, but it's complicated. I still prefer it to OS9
    100% 8 votes
    Has it's ups and downs, but I rather OS9
    0% 0 votes
    Junk. Where's my Windows machine...
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Yeah, cool feature. Makes for some clean windows.

I like the "services" feature too. Select a piece of text and go to services and click "mail - mail to" and you can have further options. Doesn't work on all apps though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭timod

The way proper cocoa apps exist in OSX is really brilliant.- the package format

I really like the OS. Jaguar finally made it useable.

My only gripes:

* Runs like a dog on my iMac 233 with 256Mb, but the brilliance of the OS makes up
    for that.

* Impraticle on the built in 15" monitor at 1024*768, so I've it hooked up to an external 17" at 1280*1024.

* The file extension debate... it really should be using a variation of the unix 'file' command to recognise files... I don't mind the file and creator codes being dead, but the document extension is not a clean way to do it.

Advertisement