Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Estimate Points for New Courses (MH109 - Media Studies, Maynooth, in particular)

• 09-10-2002 11:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭

Don't know if anyone else is interested in this course, but I am! I contacted the admissions office and they told me they expect the points to be approx 480+. It is a brand new course, and this is just an estimate. Now, I don't have a chance of getting 480+! And was pretty p'd off when I heard! But then my Guidance Counsellor said they have nothing to base the points on, and that they probably just took the nearest similar course, in this case DCU - Communications.

Can anyone comfirm this for me, or is there a method of determining an estimate?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Just waffle from maynooth. They can't tell at all how much the points will be. It could be 250 it could be 550 wait 10 months to see :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Shane

I hope that's the case! Is there anyone out there that did a course in it's first year? Was the estimate given near the actual points needed?

I looked into web dev at Sligo IT which just started this year. They gave no points requirments. Best way to judge really is how many places are availabe and how common is the course through out the country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I know that allot of courses in maynooth went up in points this year and that computer science was the only one to fall dramatically!

I know that first time courses are usually never predicted properly and usually the prediction is way too high because people (Students) wait until the course has a yr behind it to prove itself (or something like that)

saying that, they might get the high points and cut of with them even with a small class size. It's a practice not unheard of

Well like if your trying to work out what the points will be ya may as well work out what the lottery numbers will be cause its pure chance.

Unless there is some sort of interview / portfolio requirment its a nice big guessing game

• Advertisement
Advertisement