Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Open Source Blender 3D: A potentially excellent game editing package

• 10-10-2002 10:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

Hiya all,

Have any of you had a look at Blender for editing levels for games?

http://www.blender3d.com

It's about to be opensourced, which I'm sure will ensure it's future and the enhancements of it's user interface and export capabilities.

I'm sure it won't be long before it supports a lot of FPS games!

Mal

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

I used that b4 i had max and its very compilcated and not a very normal way of modelling as in its designed for you to use the keys and its supposed to be a quick modelling proggy but its a mess imo. Good old worldcraft is better i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

You heard the man,

Knowledge is Powah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭wiensta

ive used blender for years.

i know its game engine back to front aswell. Afaik Im the only irish person using it as much right now, although ive kinda not used it so much recently.

any1 interested should really give it a go, it only takes a couple days concentration to get it, and after that, you get SOOOO fast at modelling. i know max and maya too and blender is still way faster!

the game engine aint exactly "id" standard, but can give amazing results if your clever, and you dont even need to know how to program in a language to make games, but you can use programming (python) if you want really professional results.

oh yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 malachyduffin

> i know its game engine back to front aswell. Afaik Im the only irish person using it as much right now, although ive kinda not used it so much recently.

I used to work for NaN, the developers, so you're the second person using it! :)

> any1 interested should really give it a go, it only takes a couple days concentration to get it, and after that, you get SOOOO fast at modelling. i know max and maya too and blender is still way faster!

Hopefully with the opensourcing of the package, a new customisable interface will be built up over the coming months.

Do you have any examples of your work?

I've switched to Shockwave 3D stuff now, you can see some free 3D web games I created in it here...

http://www.candomultimedia.com/games/demos.htm
    iconSpacedOut.jpg
    iconShooter.jpg

Also, some none game ( but still interactive web 3D ) content can be viewed here...

http://www.candomultimedia.com/demos.htm
    iconXbox.jpg
    iconMiniCooper.jpg

Mal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭wiensta

you worked for em! cool!

Ive only ever got time to make some small things with it, and i recently deleted em cos im stuck for webspace, but ill rerelease them all as soon as my portfolio is finished.

your probably right to go with shockwave, its a whole lot more flexible. if only you didnt need programming to use it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement